The Student Room Group

I decided against free university education in Germany, now pay 9k a year, AMA

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Mrs House
Are you going to the LCR returners? I am :tongue:

Are you going into second year? :smile: Maybe I know you haha, and I am not too sure, I might be
Original post by searaga
They are, I agree, you can argue about 27k, I believe that it is not too hard to repay, if you do well at university, especially after a masters.

27k could get you a deposit on a decent house. (Or an amazing house in Germany) - then that 27k is turning into 50k by the time house prices have spent a few years going up.

No one is rich enough to spend 27k on uni when you can get it for free. It's not like Germany has a 3rd world education system.

Why not study in Germany and do 1 year in the UK as part of your degree?

Then spend 27k on something useful. Like a house. Or a wedding. Or a trip around the world.

SS
Reply 42
Were you good enough to get into a good German University?
Reply 43
Original post by IYGB

I had free choice for everything except medicine and psychology. The system in Germany is different as compared to the system in the UK.
Whilst some UK universities ask you for ABB for psychology, others could ask you for A*AA, in germany the admission is different, almost all universities will ask you for the same grades.
I was good enough to get into the course I wanted to at the best German University for this course, which is economics.
Reply 44
Original post by IYGB

There is almost no selection in Germany.
Reply 45
Original post by Supersaps
27k could get you a deposit on a decent house. (Or an amazing house in Germany) - then that 27k is turning into 50k by the time house prices have spent a few years going up.

No one is rich enough to spend 27k on uni when you can get it for free. It's not like Germany has a 3rd world education system.

Why not study in Germany and do 1 year in the UK as part of your degree?

Then spend 27k on something useful. Like a house. Or a wedding. Or a trip around the world.

SS

27k could give me a lot, I agree with you. But I do not regret anything at the moment, you guys take social life, campus based universities, student societies all for granted. You take it for granted that you have an amazing personal contact to your lecturers. This all does not exist in germany to that extent. Of course If all of the above is not important for you, then 27k might be not worth it. But for me, It is all worth it. Really depends how you asses the situation and decide what is best for you :smile:
Reply 46
Original post by Josb
There is almost no selection in Germany.

Explain please
Original post by TitanicTeutonicPhil
If you go to a university lacking prestige it should be at least in the center of a bustling metropolis - not in a shithole like Norwich. That's my point.

Also: nice stalking there.

Nah, never too old to tell naive kiddies how they're hurting their career.

You sound like an embittered old fool who messed up his chance and wants to bring others down with you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by searaga
27k could give me a lot, I agree with you. But I do not regret anything at the moment, you guys take social life, campus based universities, student societies all for granted. You take it for granted that you have an amazing personal contact to your lecturers. This all does not exist in germany to that extent. Of course If all of the above is not important for you, then 27k might be not worth it. But for me, It is all worth it. Really depends how you asses the situation and decide what is best for you :smile:

Give me 27k and I'll give you a social life you won't forget. ;-)

UK universities are pretty special but Germany is great too. I've spent 2 years in Germany and I loved it over there. I wouldn't say UK unis are 27k worth of special.

I have a german friend who was thinking of studying in the UK but she decided to go the Uni of Frankfurt instead to do Games Art Design. So, this isn't the first time I've had this conversation!

Best of luck, however.

SS
Original post by Moonstruck16
You sound like an embittered old fool who messed up his chance and wants to bring others down with you.

That's interesting, as I feel I've done everything right (went to a crap uni, had the best time living in central London, got a distinction, got great jobs) and am more successful than most people on here ever will be.
Reply 50
Original post by Supersaps
Give me 27k and I'll give you a social life you won't forget. ;-)

UK universities are pretty special but Germany is great too. I've spent 2 years in Germany and I loved it over there. I wouldn't say UK unis are 27k worth of special.

I have a german friend who was thinking of studying in the UK but she decided to go the Uni of Frankfurt instead to do Games Art Design. So, this isn't the first time I've had this conversation!

Best of luck, however.

SS

Having 27k right now, all of it, is a difference to paying it back over years :wink:
I know many people who prefer Germany over the UK, and its alright, whatever suits everyone better :smile:

Thank you, and best of luck for you too!!
Reply 51
Original post by Moonstruck16

Posted from TSR Mobile

don't bother with him, he is just pathetic and disillusioned, we need to help people like him..
Reply 52
That's interesting, as I feel I've done everything right (went to a crap uni, had the best time living in central London, got a distinction, got great jobs) and am more successful than most people on here ever will be.

Best of luck and much more further success for you!
Reply 53
Original post by searaga
Explain please

There is no selection like in the UK. You can study what you want as long as you have the requirements (Abitur). Selection only occurs if there are more applicants than places available.
Original post by searaga
Are you going into second year? :smile: Maybe I know you haha, and I am not too sure, I might be

Going into third year:smile:
Reply 55
Original post by Josb
There is no selection like in the UK. You can study what you want as long as you have the requirements (Abitur). Selection only occurs if there are more applicants than places available.

true, for the more popular courses there is almost always a selection :smile:
Reply 56
Original post by Mrs House
Going into third year:smile:

ah i dont know anyone from your year haha :smile:
As someone above said what made you take a full course here for 27k rather than just doing an Erasmus year here which would have been the best of both worlds?

Yep, something you lot will never get. Also, are you looking forward to being unemployed after graduating because your shite economy will be in yet another recession?
How do you have so many red bars? We haven't been able to neg rep for years... :lol:
Reply 58
How often do you facepalm?
Original post by searaga
Awful, I'll go back as soon as possible to germany to finish my master in economics, and then stay in germany

How has it been awful??

Quick Reply

Latest