The Student Room Group

Further mathssss compare to normal maths

On a scale of 1 to 10 how difficult is a levels maths and a levels further maths? Is further maths to difficult?
Original post by Asfand98
On a scale of 1 to 10 how difficult is a levels maths and a levels further maths? Is further maths to difficult?

You can't grade how hard it is on a scale. If you're good at maths and are prepared to work hard, then you will do well.
Reply 2
They're both easy as hell if you work hard
I give it a grade of eiπ-e^{i\pi} out of 10
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Further maths is a lot tougher than maths, but if you really like maths and want to get good at it, then definitely try further maths. A good thing about doing further maths is that it will make regular a-level maths seem easy by comparison!

It's a bit tough to put them on a scale, since you have options regarding which modules to study, but I'll give it a go... For me, A-Level maths was C1 - C4, M1 and S1. A-level further maths was FP1 - FP3, M2, M3 and S2. I'll do three scales:

Further Maths(FP1, FP2, FP3) vs Maths(C1, C2, C3, C4):
Further Maths Difficulty = 9; Maths Difficulty = 5

Further Maths(S2) vs Maths(S1):
Further Maths Difficulty = 2; Maths Difficulty = 1

Further Maths(M2, M3) vs Maths(M1):
Further Maths Difficulty = 10; Maths difficulty = 4

So obviously the above is super subjective. I'm saying the pure maths modules in further maths are a lot harder than maths, the statistic module from further maths wasn't too much trickier than maths, whereas the mechanics modules from further maths were much much harder than maths. But of course you might be doing different modules, so it might be a different experience for you!

To conclude I'd say that further maths is a lot harder than maths, but it is a lot of fun too. It will make A-Level maths easier (which in turn makes A-Level physics easier), and will be very helpful if you decide to go to university to study a STEM subject. Further maths covered the first semester of my theoretical physics degree, for example. But it'll also help out loads with a degree in chemistry, medicine, engineering etc. It's the toughest A-Level in my opinion, but well worth it :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by RDKGames

Bit high. I'd give it k=1(1)k+1k \displaystyle \sum_{k=1}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^{k + 1}}{k} out of 10.
idec if 1 is our effective 0 in a 1 to 10 system
Makes normal maths looks easy af
Its more interesting and its more challenging than normal maths which makes it quite fun
But its also not like really really hard so yeah, its alright :tongue:

(I've only done AS so far bearing in mind although I am self teaching a bit of C3/C4 & FP2 rn)

Maths - 4 - easy A* for most people who do FM I guess
Further Maths - 8 - a lot harder to get the A*
The grade boundaries punish you more imo in FM, since most people will be aiming for 90+UMS I guess
So you can't afford to just drop silly marks.

Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
Bit high. I'd give it k=1(1)k+1k \displaystyle \sum_{k=1}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^{k + 1}}{k} out of 10.
idec if 1 is our effective 0 in a 1 to 10 system

can't wait until i can understand this maths banter :colone:
Original post by surina16
can't wait until i can understand this maths banter :colone:

His is more straight forward but you won't understand mine unless you're doing FM. :tongue:
Reply 9
His is more straight forward but you won't understand mine unless you're doing FM. :tongue:

It is? What is your solution? :beard:
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
It is? What is your solution? :beard:

Well any person can plug that into the calculator and see that it collapses onto around 0.69. Not sure how to approach it analytically.
Reply 11
Well any person can plug that into the calculator and see that it collapses onto around 0.69. Not sure how to approach it analytically.

Ah right fair enough. If you know the answer, it can be quickly proved by Taylor series, but I've only solved it in Analysis I with a reasonably intricate guided method. I was just wondering if you had an easier one as I'd be interested to see if Warwick put me through unnecessary pain lol

Yeah unless Year 12 goes disastrously wrong, I'll be doing Maths + FM AS + A2 :tongue:
What about 'Additional Further Maths' though?
Reply 14
Original post by ColossalAtom
What about 'Additional Further Maths' though?

Not many people do 18modules. People already cry maths is so hard.:biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending