The Student Room Group

How bad is this scrape?

Spoiler

The only place to park my car outside my house is right next to a brick wall that you have to reverse park next to. I managed to scrape it today and I am so upset. I was wondering if anyone could tell me if it's really bad and could like really damage my car or anything, or would painting it with one of those repair kits fix it?
Is that bumper metal or plastic? If metal, it will start to rust after a while if the bare metal is exposed i.e you've managed to scrape off the clear coat, paint and the primer underneath the paint. I don't really know much about it though, if it is plastic then it is just cosmetic damage.
Original post by rayquaza17

Spoiler

The only place to park my car outside my house is right next to a brick wall that you have to reverse park next to. I managed to scrape it today and I am so upset. I was wondering if anyone could tell me if it's really bad and could like really damage my car or anything, or would painting it with one of those repair kits fix it?
Reply 2
Original post by Economistician
Is that bumper metal or plastic? If metal, it will start to rust after a while if the bare metal is exposed i.e you've managed to scrape off the clear coat, paint and the primer underneath the paint. I don't really know much about it though, if it is plastic then it is just cosmetic damage.

I really don't know if it's metal or plastic. How would I find out? It's a Hyundai i10 I bought brand new this year.
I really don't know if it's metal or plastic. How would I find out? It's a Hyundai i10 I bought brand new this year.

Just go to your car and knock on the bumper with your knuckle, as you would on a door. You should be able to tell quite easily. Another way would be to put some pressure on it or try to bend it, as you know, plastic would bend more easily than metal.
A good point of comparison would be to knock on the bonnet (which is definitely going to be metal) as well as the bumper to compare the sound that they make.
Reply 4
Original post by Economistician
Just go to your car and knock on the bumper with your knuckle, as you would on a door. You should be able to tell quite easily. Another way would be to put some pressure on it or try to bend it, as you know, plastic would bend more easily than metal.
A good point of comparison would be to knock on the bonnet (which is definitely going to be metal) as well as the bumper to compare the sound that they make.

Thank you!
I'm going to get some paint and stuff to try and fix it either way. I was just in a bit of a panic when I did it haha.

Edit: just checked and it's plastic!
(edited 7 years ago)
that'll probably look miles better after just a clean up and a quick rub with t-cut original or other mildly abrasive car paint restorer imo.
Thank you!
I'm going to get some paint and stuff to try and fix it either way. I was just in a bit of a panic when I did it haha.

Edit: just checked and it's plastic!

At the very least I'd put some lacquer over it to seal it off, otherwise moisture can get underneath the paintwork and before you know it, it may start flaking or peeling all over the place. Maybe get some T-Cut on it first, but don't go nuts.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending