The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 9200
Original post by James.Carnell
This is complete and utter ineptitude.

#WordOfTheDay
wengers thinking 'whats the worst that can happen playing a 20 and 21 year old CB pair?'

.. first time we ship 4 goals at home in 7 years.. *
Yeah, but we started at CB with Holding and Chambers, and people wonder why we let those goals in.

It's shocking. We needed a CB even more than a striker and he absolutely failed to get one in.

kind of what I mean, wenger has screwed up no doubt, but this game is not that reflective of our season as a whole, considering the XI we put out is quite different from our best.. Overal I still think our season is about where most expect.. top4 race, *
Original post by fallen_acorns
wengers thinking 'whats the worst that can happen playing a 20 and 21 year old CB pair?'

.. first time we ship 4 goals at home in 7 years.. *

Defending is done by the whole team, it's a bit unfair to lay the blame solely at their feet

Posted from TSR Mobile
No real need to over react though..*

Won something like 1 of our last 7 opening day games, and all those seasons ended alright..

Get some of our players back, and a deadline day panic buy, then watch as wenger rides out the consistancy to 4th again..*

I think the issue is that you lost to (potentially) one of your big rivals for 4th place.

Only Arsenal would be 3 goals down and only score 2 so it's meaningless.
I did say you were the "almost team"...
I was actually hoping we would get beat by 4-1 rather than 4-3 to prompt the guy to actually do something in terms of transfers.

I thought it was going to be 6-7 goals at that rate. Ox saved it in that regard by changing the momentum of the game. But make no mistake about it, we got lucky not to concede 6-7.

I don't want to go into every match like this fearing that we're going to let in 10 goals.
Yeah, but we started at CB with Holding and Chambers, and people wonder why we let those goals in.

It's shocking. We needed a CB even more than a striker and he absolutely failed to get one in.

The goals you conceded weren't conceded because you had inexperience CBs. You would've conceded them all regardless...
Original post by drandy76
Defending is done by the whole team, it's a bit unfair to lay the blame solely at their feet

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't buy that argument, I actually don't think the other players did much wrong defensively. The two cb's played like strangers. Elneny, coq, the two wingbacks all did what was expected of them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

true, but you can in this case point to quite a few errors by those two specifically..*

Misplaced pass in the first half giving them an opertunity..
Foul that lead to the first goal being scored
Getting lost in the box for the 2nd half, not clearing or picking up llana
The third is the biggest one, as holding completly looses courtinho in the box, 9/10 kos is stopping that.
Third one chambers gets completly done in by mane, (although so does monreal after)
Etc. *
The thing that disappointed me most in the game was actually the body language of the players like Sanchez, Koscielny in the stands. I get the feeling they will want to leave (Sanchez will anyway)... there is just no real belief in this club.
I don't buy that argument, I actually don't think the other players did much wrong defensively. The two cb's played like strangers. Elneny, coq, the two wingbacks all did what was expected of them.

Then clearly you weren't watching very carefully, or don't understand what roles others have to play relative to the team.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9211
Arsen:colone:l for the league?
Original post by Lúcio
The goals you conceded weren't conceded because you had inexperience CBs. You would've conceded them all regardless...

disagree,*

1st - yeah, a worldie can be scored any time.
2nd - Mert gets something in the way a decent number of times out of 10
3rd - Most of the time kos is not letting courtinho get the better of him as easily as holding did
4th - Not as clear as 2+3, but I would back kos to win in the battle with mane far more frequently then chambers
true, but you can in this case point to quite a few errors by those two specifically..*

Misplaced pass in the first half giving them an opertunity..
Foul that lead to the first goal being scored
Getting lost in the box for the 2nd half, not clearing or picking up llana
The third is the biggest one, as holding completly looses courtinho in the box, 9/10 kos is stopping that.
Third one chambers gets completly done in by mane, (although so does monreal after)
Etc. *

Yeah but often misplaced passes occurred due to lack of options from supporting errors, obviously they made mistakes, but other players were negligent in their roles leading up to the goals but the CBs mistakes-like keepers- are the most obvious ones

Posted from TSR Mobile
The thing that disappointed me most in the game was actually the body language of the players like Sanchez, Koscielny in the stands. I get the feeling they will want to leave (Sanchez will anyway)... there is just no real belief in this club.

If you are Sanchez or Ozil what possible reason do you have to sign a new contract? They're winners who deserve better than Arsenal. It's a horrible situation for the club because you'll probably have to sell them next summer or risk losing them for free.

Anyway, this is the 3rd time in 4 years you've lost on the opening day and Wenger Out trends on Twitter. You'll sign a couple of players and finish 3rd/4th as you always do, and as long as you do that your board are happy.
Then clearly you weren't watching very carefully, or don't understand what roles others have to play relative to the team.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Then explain oh wise one. The wing backs got beaten which is fair enough but the cb's were positionally awful on multiple occassions.

Also, you speak a little aggressively, take a chill pill mate, get laid or something.
Original post by sr90
If you are Sanchez or Ozil what possible reason do you have to sign a new contract? They're winners who deserve better than Arsenal. It's a horrible situation for the club because you'll probably have to sell them next summer or risk losing them for free.

Anyway, this is the 3rd time in 4 years you've lost on the opening day and Wenger Out trends on Twitter. You'll sign a couple of players and finish 3rd/4th as you always do, and as long as you do that your board are happy.

Sanchez and Ozil will go if we don't progress this year and we will lose value as we will get money back for them but the prices in the market have become more inflated to find the same value so in the end we will be worse off.

Wenger does not realise that to avoid losing money you have to spend it in this climate, otherwise players leave and you have to replace them.

I can guarantee that Sanchez will go, he was not happy to be there today, he is very competitive in character and just seemed to be synced out.
Yeah but often misplaced passes occurred due to lack of options from supporting errors, obviously they made mistakes, but other players were negligent in their roles leading up to the goals but the CBs mistakes-like keepers- are the most obvious ones

Posted from TSR Mobile

They could have played the long ball.
Then explain oh wise one. The wing backs got beaten which is fair enough but the cb's were positionally awful on multiple occassions.

Also, you speak a little aggressively, take a chill pill mate, get laid or something.

I'm speaking fairly bluntly, which shouldn't be confused with aggressiveness.
The CBs were young and inexperienced so Elneny and Coq were played to help protect them in the centre, but when Iwobi and or Walcott don't track back, it stretches our midfield and allows those two to be targeted.

There were signs in the first half but we got away with it, especially when our defenders weren't supported by our midfielders in the first phase, but generally speaking, any mistakes our defenders committed were only possible due to a structural error in Liverpool's build up to the goal

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SA-1
He's barely an Arsenal fan

:colonhash:

Latest