The Student Room Group

Chemstry Question - Urgent

Stuck on this question! Please help quickly!!! Thank you!! ’If I react soap CH3(CH2)14COO-Na+ with H2SO4 show equation acting as a base?'
Reply 1
Split the two reactants into their constituent ions, then go from there.
Original post by knope
Split the two reactants into their constituent ions, then go from there.

CH3
CH2
COO-
Na+
H2
SO4

and then?

thank you
Reply 3
Original post by Greenapplepear
CH3
CH2
COO-
Na+
H2
SO4

and then?

thank you

What charge is there on a SO4 ion? This is key to getting the right answer, not to mention the correct ions in H2SO4. Right now, you've not found them.

Also, does the carbon chain [CH3(CH2)14] have a charge or not? Will it break from its COO- functional group?
Original post by knope
What charge is there on a SO4 ion? This is key to getting the right answer, not to mention the correct ions in H2SO4. Right now, you've not found them.

Also, does the carbon chain [CH3(CH2)14] have a charge or not? Will it break from its COO- functional group?

the charge on SO4 is 2-
H2 is 2+
Na is +
Reply 5
the charge on SO4 is 2-
H2 is 2+
Na is +

H2 is not an ion, it's a molecule. So it has 0 charge - but H2SO4 actually splits up into 2H+ and SO42-.

Having said that, I suggest you attempt the solution again now. If you're left with more than four ions to react then look back at my last question to you (which you didn't answer).
Original post by knope
H2 is not an ion, it's a molecule. So it has 0 charge - but H2SO4 actually splits up into 2H+ and SO42-.

Having said that, I suggest you attempt the solution again now. If you're left with more than four ions to react then look back at my last question to you (which you didn't answer).

so is it Na2SO4 + CH3(CH2)14cooh?

Thank you very much
Reply 7
so is it Na2SO4 + CH3(CH2)14cooh?

Thank you very much

Yep, perfect!
Original post by knope
Yep, perfect!

Thank you so much, I really appreciate your help:smile:
Reply 9