The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by James.Carnell
They could have played the long ball.

We'd have lost the ball immediately in that situation, passing from the back made the most sense

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sanchez and Ozil will go if we don't progress this year and we will lose value as we will get money back for them but the prices in the market have become more inflated to find the same value so in the end we will be worse off.

Wenger does not realise that to avoid losing money you have to spend it in this climate, otherwise players leave and you have to replace them.

I can guarantee that Sanchez will go, he was not happy to be there today, he is very competitive in character and just seemed to be synced out.

Forget the monetary value, what sort of message does it send out to prospective new signings if the best two players leave?

Wenger and your board will never spend £50m on a player because there's no guarantee that player will win them the league, there's too much risk involved. As long as they finish 4th and pocket the cash from reaching the last 16 in the CL every year they're happy.

I'm convinced he deliberately waits until the last week of the window to see if there's an unexpected bargain out there as well. He's like someone who does their Christmas shopping two days before Christmas Day.
Original post by drandy76
I'm speaking fairly bluntly, which shouldn't be confused with aggressiveness.
The CBs were young and inexperienced so Elneny and Coq were played to help protect them in the centre, but when Iwobi and or Walcott don't track back, it stretches our midfield and allows those two to be targeted.

There were signs in the first half but we got away with it, especially when our defenders weren't supported by our midfielders in the first phase, but generally speaking, any mistakes our defenders committed were only possible due to a structural error in Liverpool's build up to the goal

Posted from TSR Mobile

Surely that is Wenger's doing. We all know that Theo does not track back. It's been a constant feature of his career here, I don't know enough about Iwobi to comment on that.
Original post by sr90
Forget the monetary value, what sort of message does it send out to prospective new signings if the best two players leave?

Wenger and your board will never spend £50m on a player because there's no guarantee that player will win them the league, there's too much risk involved. As long as they finish 4th and pocket the cash from reaching the last 16 in the CL every year they're happy.

I'm convinced he deliberately waits until the last week of the window to see if there's an unexpected bargain out there as well. He's like someone who does their Christmas shopping two days before Christmas Day.

Yeah but it gives us a better chance, and it keeps players on board. Plus it makes the club more marketable which ultimately means more money earnt anyway through sponsorship and income that the fans generate.

Their biggest argument for not spending is value. And yet if we don't spend we lose a lot more value in the long run, even if you forget the monetary value. We will have to spend to replace the good players. Then if we get subpar players as we don't want to pay inflated fees, we will finish in a lower position and end up making even less money. They gamble massively on staying 4th, as soon as they don't they are finished.
Surely that is Wenger's doing. We all know that Theo does not track back. It's been a constant feature of his career here, I don't know enough about Iwobi to comment on that.

His hands were fairly tied in terms of team selection but yes, Wengers sub-par coaching has played a part in our lack of success, far more than us "bottling"

Posted from TSR Mobile
We'd have lost the ball immediately in that situation, passing from the back made the most sense

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah but the point is that the players weren't in their right positions so it would have bought them time to actually organise.
His hands were fairly tied in terms of team selection but yes, Wengers sub-par coaching has played a part in our lack of success, far more than us "bottling"

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's got to be tactics surely? The players could have at least got a draw from that match. I don't believe the players we have are not good enough to at least get a draw from that game.
Yeah but the point is that the players weren't in their right positions so it would have bought them time to actually organise.

Liverpool have too fast transitions for that, best way to organise your team into positions is to slowly build so everyone can orient themselves, it's what Pep had Bayern/Barca do a lot

Posted from TSR Mobile
Bantered off by a sh*t Oscar and Sadio Mane
It's got to be tactics surely? The players could have at least got a draw from that match. I don't believe the players we have are not good enough to at least get a draw from that game.

Individually our squad is very good, a bit midfield heavy, but good on the whole, but ours is the case of the sum of our individuals parts being lesser than the sum of the whole

Posted from TSR Mobile
Almost as if you believe this is our first team

Posted from TSR Mobile

It don't matter. This summer has been a shambles. Giroud would have made no difference today.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah but it gives us a better chance, and it keeps players on board. Plus it makes the club more marketable which ultimately means more money earnt anyway through sponsorship and income that the fans generate.

Their biggest argument for not spending is value. And yet if we don't spend we lose a lot more value in the long run, even if you forget the monetary value. We will have to spend to replace the good players. Then if we get subpar players as we don't want to pay inflated fees, we will finish in a lower position and end up making even less money. They gamble massively on staying 4th, as soon as they don't they are finished.

Said it for years that the best thing for Arsenal would be to NOT finish 4th one year.

Would require a complete rethink of your clubs ambition and Wenger would probably go.
Individually our squad is very good, a bit midfield heavy, but good on the whole, but ours is the case of the sum of our individuals parts being lesser than the sum of the whole

Posted from TSR Mobile

I an convinced that Wenger gets it wrong more often than right in the big games, it is his tactics that are a problem.I don't even think its about goalscoring anymore since the defenses in the premier league really are quite shocking, but ours is even more so.
God, I just feel really **** right now, hopefully Gotze will cheer me up tonight.
What a disgrace. People were so happy to boo and chant "spend some f*cking money" today but when there was a protest at the end of last season to say that we aren't happy with where the club is going the whole stadium was chanting "1 Arsene Wenger". I hope those people are happy today and will be happy in May when we've done nothing again. All due to one man. Wenger Out.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Original post by ClockEnderAFC
What a disgrace. People were so happy to boo and chant "spend some f*cking money" today but when there was a protest at the end of last season to say that we aren't happy with where the club is going the whole stadium was chanting "1 Arsene Wenger". I hope those people are happy today and will be happy in May when we've done nothing again. All due to one man. Wenger Out.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Tbh I think that was more to do with the fact that he managed to finish above Spurs somehow. But, if that is the yardstick of what a good season for us is, then we have truly fallen down the gutter.
Lacazette scores hat-trick!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Are you sure anything will change once Wenger leaves? We could become like AC Milan and sack every manager that fails to get us to the CL...
Tbh I think that was more to do with the fact that he managed to finish above Spurs somehow. But, if that is the yardstick of what a good season for us is, then we have truly fallen down the gutter.

Yes, let's celebrate finishing 2nd even though we were 10 points behind Leicester. We did not deserve to finish ahead of Spurs, pains me as it does to say it. They just collapsed in their last 3 games and let us overtake them. So many deluded fans who are happy to accept mediocrity and are happy to ignore to brush over the many faults that we have at Arsenal caused by Wenger and the board and tell everyone to "get behind the team". Most of these people normally live in the USA or some other foreign country. Not having a go at foreign fans or anything, but when I'm paying money to see Arsenal then don't tell me what to f*cking do. I'll criticise if I want to.
Original post by ClockEnderAFC
Yes, let's celebrate finishing 2nd even though we were 10 points behind Leicester. We did not deserve to finish ahead of Spurs, pains me as it does to say it. They just collapsed in their last 3 games and let us overtake them. So many deluded fans who are happy to accept mediocrity and are happy to ignore to brush over the many faults that we have at Arsenal caused by Wenger and the board and tell everyone to "get behind the team". Most of these people normally live in the USA or some other foreign country. Not having a go at foreign fans or anything, but when I'm paying money to see Arsenal then don't tell me what to f*cking do. I'll criticise if I want to.

Same feeling here, I will always pay to watch Arsenal but I refuse to buy the merchandise these days, and food... since its going to nowhere except the bank.

Just all round terrible, I don't think anyone will want to join us now even if we pay the money.

Latest