The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Christ's Admissions
Thanks. The question doesn't allow for financial reasons why a candidate might not have been successful so it is possible that this is why one of the three people in those two years who got 1,1 or better but didn't get in might not have come. I suspect though that they were summer pooled and not taken for other reasons.

Obviously it's difficult to speculate but there are a number of reasons why this might be and what isn't given is the marks - both the 1,1s might have been pretty close to 2,2. I'd be very surprised if they weren't overseas students and, at this stage, some colleges may well feel that they would rather give a break to a home student. There's also the question of how much help they got from their school, what age they are (a low 1,1 from a 21 year old is less impressive than from an 18 year old for instance) and a number of other things to take into consideration. Not least that while STEP is the best indicator we have of success it isn't perfect - I've seen students with 1,1 fail Part 1A.

I see!
Thank god I'm from the UK and my 1s will be fairly high.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Duke Glacia
スクリーンショット 2016-08-14 12.28.47.png

This graph tells me that none were accepted through summer pool for the previous 4(except 2013) years(For Engineering). Is this because college fill up their places quite quickly due to the popularity of engineering ?

You aren't reading the stats right. There were 6 in 2015 taken through the Summer Pool (including two from Christ's iirc) and 3 in 2014 as well.
You aren't reading the stats right. There were 6 in 2015 taken through the Summer Pool (including two from Christ's iirc) and 3 in 2014 as well.

Im Sorry...:tongue:

So 2 Christ's Engineers were pooled successfully ? Or did Christs accept 2 engineers from other colleges ?

thanks alot
Im Sorry...:tongue:

So 2 Christ's Engineers were pooled successfully ? Or did Christs accept 2 engineers from other colleges ?

thanks alot

Two were pooled successfully from Christ's. We haven't taken any from the Summer Pool in my time.
There's also the question of how much help they got from their school, what age they are (a low 1,1 from a 21 year old is less impressive than from an 18 year old for instance) and a number of other things to take into consideration.

Does this mean that a 16 year old would be more likely to be accepted if they had missed their offer?
Two were pooled successfully from Christ's. We haven't taken any from the Summer Pool in my time.

Thats very comforting :frown:(atleast for the midnight)

Do you have an rough idea of their UMS or number of A*s ?

Thank you
Original post by Insight314
Does this mean that a 16 year old would be more likely to be accepted if they had missed their offer?

Not necessarily. They might assume that you needed a bit more time to mature as a mathematician and would be better off waiting.
Thats very comforting :frown:(atleast for the midnight)

Do you have an rough idea of their UMS or number of A*s ?

Thank you

I don;t remember their UMS but I think they both had either 3 or 4 A*s
スクリーンショット 2016-08-14 12.28.47.png

This graph tells me that none were accepted through summer pool for the previous 4(except 2013) years(For Engineering). Is this because college fill up their places quite quickly due to the popularity of engineering ?

There are a few summer pooled engineering acceptances every year.
Attachment not found

Posted from TSR Mobile
Not necessarily. They might assume that you needed a bit more time to mature as a mathematician and would be better off waiting.

If you had a Maths offer-holder, who was 16 years old, with a STEP offer of 1,1, met the A-level part but missed the STEP, and got 2,S or 2,1 (high 1 in III), would you say they have a lower chance of being accepted than an 18/19 year old with the same STEP grades?

Also, I was never given help with STEP by my school, have ECF due to school performance and had to self-study all my A-levels. How much will this be taken into account?

Finally, will my college still hold the SAQ I completed back in October? If so, would they take notice of the fact that I had way more exams than usual offer-holders (completed on SAQ), and will they be more lenient as a result of this because it would maybe demonstrate capability of surviving more workload?

Thank you.
Hi Christ's Admissions Tutor,

Thank you very much for organising this thread. I would just like to ask for your advice regarding my application. I applied to Trinity College for maths this year and I am a bit worried that I might have missed my STEP offer. In this case, would it be worth informing Trinity of my results in the British Physics Olympiad and the RSC Chemistry Olympiad? I think that performance in physics and chemistry is not very relevant for a maths applicant compared to STEP results, and there will be many other applicants with similar (if not better) achievements.

Thanks,
LondonGamer
Original post by Insight314
If you had a Maths offer-holder, who was 16 years old, with a STEP offer of 1,1, met the A-level part but missed the STEP, and got 2,S or 2,1 (high 1 in III), would you say they have a lower chance of being accepted than an 18/19 year old with the same STEP grades?

Also, I was never given help with STEP by my school, have ECF due to school performance and had to self-study all my A-levels. How much will this be taken into account?

Finally, will my college still hold the SAQ I completed back in October? If so, would they take notice of the fact that I had way more exams than usual offer-holders (completed on SAQ), and will they be more lenient as a result of this because it would maybe demonstrate capability of surviving more workload?

Thank you.

I can't really second guess what people will do in other colleges and I can't say what I would do in a hypothetical situation like the one you describe. There would be lots of things to take into account.

One of the things that a college might look at is the extent of the help you received in STEP, as mentioned on the SAQ. Yes, we still have the SAQ and that would be prominent in the file if you were placed in the Summer Pool. I'm not sure how a college might view lots of exams or whether it would figure at all in their thinking.
Original post by jneill
Great. My understanding is they aren't provided as standard with results and have to be specifically requested by the school.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, which makes things more complicated. We'll be briefed on all the details about it soon and when we know what we're going to do, we'll tell everyone (including TSR!)

It's been a week since these posts. So any updates on UMS averages?

Thanks.
Original post by LondonGamer

Thank you very much for organising this thread. I would just like to ask for your advice regarding my application. I applied to Trinity College for maths this year and I am a bit worried that I might have missed my STEP offer. In this case, would it be worth informing Trinity of my results in the British Physics Olympiad and the RSC Chemistry Olympiad? I think that performance in physics and chemistry is not very relevant for a maths applicant compared to STEP results, and there will be many other applicants with similar (if not better) achievements.

Thanks,
LondonGamer

Good luck with your results. There's no harm in sending the Olympiad results though it's unlikely to make a huge difference, especially the Chemistry.
Original post by champ_mc99
It's been a week since these posts. So any updates on UMS averages?

Thanks.

No. It will be discussed this week in Admissions Forum and we'll make a decision as soon as we can.

Thanks,
LondonGamer

Hey
Didn't you qualify for BMO2 and do pretty well?
If so send that, that will be useful.

Posted from TSR Mobile
No. It will be discussed this week in Admissions Forum and we'll make a decision as soon as we can.

Cheers.
I can't really second guess what people will do in other colleges and I can't say what I would do in a hypothetical situation like the one you describe. There would be lots of things to take into account.

One of the things that a college might look at is the extent of the help you received in STEP, as mentioned on the SAQ. Yes, we still have the SAQ and that would be prominent in the file if you were placed in the Summer Pool. I'm not sure how a college might view lots of exams or whether it would figure at all in their thinking.

All right, thank you. I guess I will find out in a few days.
Good luck with your results. There's no harm in sending the Olympiad results though it's unlikely to make a huge difference, especially the Chemistry.

Thank you for your reply, I have sent a brief update email to the Trinity College Admissions Office. Will they take the extra information into consideration when making the decision or is it likely that they have already made a decision (since STEP results have probably been received much earlier)?
Thank you for your reply, I have sent a brief update email to the Trinity College Admissions Office. Will they take the extra information into consideration when making the decision or is it likely that they have already made a decision (since STEP results have probably been received much earlier)?

I doubt they will - however saying you qualified for the BMO2 will probably be taken in consideration

Latest

Trending

Trending