The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Gogregg
You could say it isn't compulsory to do any of the sections...
But,i understand what you mean, and no it isn't. You don't get a score for it, the universities you apply to don't get a score for it. It is a bit irrelevant to us this year. But next year it's likely to be an actual section which you will get a score on.

Haha, okay thanks, guess I'll just give it a go anyway :wink:
Original post by joshehbrown94
My test is scheduled for Thursday the 18th, but I've just done my second medify mock (2+3) and again scored around 600 average, which really isn't good enough. I'm thinking to reschedule to a slot for the 7th of September (earliest available) as I don't start back at uni until the 23rd.

Is this the right choice? or will pushing hard until the 18th mean I could improve enough? I want 685 minimum.

Any advice would be great!

I think rescheduling the exam would give you a lot of time to prepare more and do better. However, I just read a post above that someone who got 600ish in the mocks in medify yet got 750 in the exam. Yet, you could reschedule it to be safe. The only problem is that by September you might be really tired and fed up with it (maybe reschedule a bit sooner?) although it is worth the to spend more time practising in order to get into med school. Best of luck!!
How many mocks do you recommend we do before the exam???

I'm still really struggling with QR despite following all the advice given its stressing me out.... I did a mock and got this: --> 650 VR 700 AR 580 QR Band 1 SJ

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Heisenberg___
Yeah I got 1840 which was slightly disappointing at first but it was my first full-length test so oh well..
How did you get on?

I got 2050. I think the QR is too hard though.
Original post by Talisia13
good luck I'm sure you'll be fine :smile: mines tuesday!

Thank you so much, good luck for your exam, how prepared do you feel?
How much did you guys improve doing mocks? Just did my first one proper kaplan prep book thing, got

VR - 750
QR - 650
AR - 630

How good is that?
Original post by hopefulmedic04
I'm really struggling with the UKCAT. I've been using Medify for nearly a month and just not seeing that much improvement. On Mock 1 I got avg 710 which I was really pleased about but when I done Mock 2 I went down to 645. My test is a week on Wednesday and I don't know if I'm ready. Has anyone done better on the real test than on Medify?? Any help really appreciated.

Also, is medic portal question bank worth investing in for the next week? Even though I've not finished Medify questions but only have SJ and mock 3 to go.

Anyone?
Original post by raniafern
But you aren't right either. :colondollar:

I would beg to differ!
You could realise before taking it that you only want to apply to BMAT universities, therefore you decide to just attend, skip all the questions and get a 300 average to push the average down for others slightly :colondollar:

Original post by Jackrosser97
can someone please let me know what the exam room is like for taking the ukcat and if there are any disturbances

Have you done a driving theory test? It's taken in the same place as that.
But it's in like cubicles, so you only see people right next to you, and even then only if you're trying. The room is quite cold (or at least it was Manchester Piccadilly :lol:) since they have good air conditioning. The only distraction will be people coming in and out, and they do that quietly. You do have headphones that you can put on available to you, but it's up to you if you want to. You have somewhat enough space for the whiteboard and everything else. It's quite a dreary room, I'd say, the only excitement really comes from the actual taking of the test. It has sort of a nervous tension in there I'd say.
Good luck!
Original post by neilthomas
How much did you guys improve doing mocks? Just did my first one proper kaplan prep book thing, got

VR - 750
QR - 650
AR - 630

How good is that?

i think thats really good, i got 630 on VR, 600 on QR and 730 in AR on the 2nd kaplan test. Im struggling on qr, what is your main strategy?
Does anyone know a keyboard shortcut for clearing the calculator? I know on medify you can just press the backspace button but this does not work on the calculator on the official mocks
Original post by Uni12345678
i think thats really good, i got 630 on VR, 600 on QR and 730 in AR on the 2nd kaplan test. Im struggling on qr, what is your main strategy?

Honestly, just do it as fast as i can and attempt to flag things i don't know. I'm usually halfway through the question before i realise i should have left it though

Any tips for AR? I'm pretty sketchy at it
Original post by fizzywaterbottle
Does anyone know a keyboard shortcut for clearing the calculator? I know on medify you can just press the backspace button but this does not work on the calculator on the official mocks

Click enter twice to finish the calculation, then start typing your new calculation :smile:
Original post by neilthomas
Honestly, just do it as fast as i can and attempt to flag things i don't know. I'm usually halfway through the question before i realise i should have left it though

Any tips for AR? I'm pretty sketchy at it

hey thanks ill keep that in mind, for AR i try to spot the pattern in the simplest box in set a and work towards finding an overall pattern, and then checking how set b works in a similar way. if this doesnt work i go through a checklist (its called SCANS on the kaplan course) plus a few more things ive seen come up like the arrow direction is dependent on which shapes are present. hope that helps :smile:
Does anyone know if you can get into medicine with 2a* gcse and 6 a's with UKAT if 700ish
Original post by clairebear101
How did u do in the offical mocks, i avg 650 on medify but did horrivle in mock A!

I can't remember exactly but I definitely did worse on the official mocks than the medify ones! I found the official mocks more difficult than the real thing especially QR.
Original post by hopefulmedic04
Anyone?

I got 750 average in my real thing but was averaging 650-670 in my medify mocks.
@jasminegreenn was you QR section like really easy with simple like conversion or speed calculations or loads of data and tables?
Original post by Yazmin123
@jasminegreenn was you QR section like really easy with simple like conversion or speed calculations or loads of data and tables?

I don't know if it was just a lucky draw of the question bank but all my QR were really small tables with like no text to read and tbh most of them were percentage changes!
Original post by jasminegreenn
I don't know if it was just a lucky draw of the question bank but all my QR were really small tables with like no text to read and tbh most of them were percentage changes!

wow! so luckky! mines on Tuesday but i don't know if i should reschedule it for like september because even though I've done some practice i don't feel like its enough and i'm averaging at around 660 like you did on modify
Original post by Yazmin123
wow! so luckky! mines on Tuesday but i don't know if i should reschedule it for like september because even though I've done some practice i don't feel like its enough and i'm averaging at around 660 like you did on modify

I know! I was so thankful because QR was my worst until the day before my test. If it helps I didn't feel ready until the day before but I was really stressed like 3 days before. If you really don't feel ready then it'd probably be better you rebook it but at the end of the day there's only so much practice you can do x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending