The Student Room Group

What would universities would be classed as mediocre universities?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Woul Birmingham and Manchester be classed as mediocre?
Reply 21
Kent
Original post by Scruffyjoe

I don't think so. They are one of the top unis in UK, especially Birmingham as they have A/A* grade requirements at GCSE to get onto a course (like Oxford and Cambridge). Though Cambridge seems to be more lenient on GCSE grades compared to Oxford. A girl from my sixth form got into Birmingham for Accounting last year (she's Chinese btw).
(edited 7 years ago)

definitely not Manchester
Reply 24
Original post by tanyapotter
definitely not Manchester

I went to Manchester - it's pretty mediocre.
But I thought university of reading is part of the Russell group?

Just saying not all universities in the Russell Group are amazing. There are some universities that are not in it and are better than some of the Russell Group universities

Posted from TSR Mobile
I went to Manchester - it's pretty mediocre.

How so? In terms or teaching or just the uni in general?
Reply 27
Yes mainly in term of teaching quality and even entrY standards.

Original post by Tsrsarahhhh
How so? In terms or teaching or just the uni in general?
Well, coming from Canada, the applications differ between the academic league of the applicant. The top students apply for the following:

Prestige A: Oxford and Cambridge.
Prestige B: LSE and Imperial.
Prestige C: Durham, King's, Warwick, UCL, Bristol and Edinburgh.

^These uphold the best reputation in North America (N.A)^

(The following universities below took a lot of research in order to find out much about them, they don't really hold that much of a reputation.)

Then the next best after these universities: Bath and St Andrews.

Mediocre/ average universities that attract students with average grades from N.A: Leeds, Manchester, Southampton, Sheffield, Queen Mary- the rest of the Russell Group + Reading, SOAS.

That's really how it's seen I guess, it may be different in the UK.

:smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by LukasAlgebra
Well, coming from Canada, the applications differ between the academic league of the applicant. The top students apply for the following:

(The following universities below took a lot of research in order to find out much about them, they don't really hold that much of a reputation.)

Mediocre/ average universities that attract students with average grades from N.A: Leeds, Manchester, Southampton, Sheffield, Queen Mary- the rest of the Russell Group + Reading, SOAS.

That's really how it's seen I guess, it may be different in the UK.

:smile:

I am calling ******** on this.

I have friends in Canada and I've looked at some of the most elite prep schools in Canada and their matriculation lists do not reflect your list at all. At least do some research if you are going to lie. You've just created an account so you peddle this hierarchy list that you've created and are pretending you're from Canada.
It is difficult to get a list of mediocre universities from The Student Room as people can be very elitist . With 120ish universities in the Uk I would say mediocre is closer to universities like Keele and UWE etc. Places like Reading and Kent I would say are above average and good universities, just not the best.
Original post by CompSci16
I am calling ******** on this.

I have friends in Canada and I've looked at some of the most elite prep schools in Canada and their matriculation lists do not reflect your list at all. At least do some research if you are going to lie. You've just created an account so you peddle this hierarchy list that you've created and are pretending you're from Canada.

Hella uncalled for. Not going to argue but if this is what you believe, it is cool. :smile:
It really depends on the course...
Original post by Penguinfarts
It is difficult to get a list of mediocre universities from The Student Room as people can be very elitist . With 120ish universities in the Uk I would say mediocre is closer to universities like Keele and UWE etc. Places like Reading and Kent I would say are above average and good universities, just not the best.

Hella uncalled for. Not going to argue but if this is what you believe, it is cool. :smile:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=67061202&highlight=

The thread you created today seems "hella" fake.

Nothing similar to what a real student in your position would post.

"Then the next best after these universities: Bath and St Andrews."
Lol. No, no, no. Bath and St.Andrews, well definitely St.Andrews comes right under Oxbridge (Oxford and Cambridge) with Imperial in the prestige B group and at times even A :colondollar:. With the course I am interested in, politics, it's second on the table with Cambridge being third. Then in other subjects like Physics, Maths, Psychology and Business management it's also either third or fourth place after Oxbridge taking the first two places. Just tells the public that it's not all about Russell Group universities. It depends on the subject as the league tables are different for each subject usually,

Overall, just wanted to add in after reading some comments, guys when employers are looking at your CV, yes going to Cambridge is lovely but if it's a pass or a 2:2, they would much prefer someone who went to UWE for example but got a 1st in the same degree and has relevant experience. So whether a university is "mediocre" or not, that in my personal opinion is quite irrelevant.
Not average unis:

Oxford, Cambridge, UCL, LSE, Imperial, Durham, St Andrews, Edinburgh, Kings, Bristol, Exeter, Manchester, Newcastle, York, Glasgow, Lancaster, Cardiff.
That title tho.
Original post by Cherry82
"Then the next best after these universities: Bath and St Andrews."
Lol. No, no, no. Bath and St.Andrews, well definitely St.Andrews comes right under Oxbridge (Oxford and Cambridge) with Imperial in the prestige B group and at times even A :colondollar:. With the course I am interested in, politics, it's second on the table with Cambridge being third. Then in other subjects like Physics, Maths, Psychology and Business management it's also either third or fourth place after Oxbridge taking the first two places. Just tells the public that it's not all about Russell Group universities. It depends on the subject as the league tables are different for each subject usually,

Overall, just wanted to add in after reading some comments, guys when employers are looking at your CV, yes going to Cambridge is lovely but if it's a pass or a 2:2, they would much prefer someone who went to UWE for example but got a 1st in the same degree and has relevant experience. So whether a university is "mediocre" or not, that in my personal opinion is quite irrelevant.

Original post by Workangel_24
I don't think so. They are one of the top unis in UK, especially Birmingham as they have A/A* grade requirements at GCSE to get onto a course (like Oxford and Cambridge). Though Cambridge seems to be more lenient on GCSE grades compared to Oxford. A girl from my sixth form got into Birmingham for Accounting last year (she's Chinese btw).

x:smile:

Manchester has higher grade requirements than Birmingham lol. You're seem to be right about Birmingham having significantly higher GCSE standards though. Especially for Medicine where they're the only Uni's to explicitly say you need A* in GCSE Maths and English to even bother applying.

Manchester has high average entry standards in general. And this is impressive considering it has multiple good courses that don't require high grades. E.G, it has a massive nursing school. Things like that bring average entry requirements down.

A much better website would have some sort of system that compares entry standards for each individual courses then gives an overall score accordingly. That way you wouldn't have uni's that look bad because they can also afford massive art departments or w.e. I'm sure somewhere out there, there's very drama or art focused university that is harder to get into than liverpool, exeter or w.e other RG uni. But that won't be reflected upon in average entry standards.

Lastly,

LukasAlgerbra, you clearly didn't research at all. Not sure if this has been posted already but:

Employer rep: http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/world-university-rankings/2015#sorting=2453334+region=+country=208+faculty=+stars=false+search=

Academic rep: http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/world-university-rankings/2015#sorting=2453333+region=+country=208+faculty=+stars=false+search=

6th in the country in both. And that was from a minute long google search so idk what research you conducted. Uni quality is another debate i cba with and will differ based on preference. But to say places like St Andrews, Edinburgh or Bath are better well known with better reps outside the UK isn't true. Obviously you don't speak for all Canadians or north Americans. I'm assuming you didn't research about the other unis in that list either then.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest