The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Charms tee
Does anyone know if you can get into medicine with 2a* gcse and 6 a's with UKAT if 700ish

Yes, go for unis that don't score gcses though
For those of you who have done the ukcat did you use the keyboard shortcuts they gave on medify (like ctrl + n for next question)? I was wondering if they work in the real thing?
Original post by Yazmin123
wow! so luckky! mines on Tuesday but i don't know if i should reschedule it for like september because even though I've done some practice i don't feel like its enough and i'm averaging at around 660 like you did on modify

I can only avg like 645 so u are in a better place than me and im just going to do it and hope for the best. All the mocks that i have done tho that i do bad in its because of silly things like running out of time or not using my practiced techniques, things i know i can change instantly, but each mock seems to be another issue to sort out even if they are easy issues like being stubbon on timming!
Original post by clairebear101
I can only avg like 645 so u are in a better place than me and im just going to do it and hope for the best. All the mocks that i have done tho that i do bad in its because of silly things like running out of time or not using my practiced techniques, things i know i can change instantly, but each mock seems to be another issue to sort out even if they are easy issues like being stubbon on timming!

same i'm just gonna go in for the kill and hope i get some nice questions :")
I know what you mean each time there always seems to be something else thats wrong. its a nightmare!
Original post by Yazmin123
same i'm just gonna go in for the kill and hope i get some nice questions :":wink:
I know what you mean each time there always seems to be something else thats wrong. its a nightmare!

Like i know i can do it as i can do well in practice but i took mock a today and thought that i was going to be all hard questions so i spent like a minute on each question, all tecnhque went out the window! dunno what i was doing but avg 600, which tbh i dunno how i even managed that as when i reviewd it i could have easily got 670 at least haha! so yeah i legit jsut need to get used to flagging answers and i think my score will improve dramtically,all the easy questions were at the end of the mock lol. Good luck with yours and i know u will do amazing :smile:
Original post by clairebear101
Like i know i can do it as i can do well in practice but i took mock a today and thought that i was going to be all hard questions so i spent like a minute on each question, all tecnhque went out the window! dunno what i was doing but avg 600, which tbh i dunno how i even managed that as when i reviewd it i could have easily got 670 at least haha! so yeah i legit jsut need to get used to flagging answers and i think my score will improve dramtically,all the easy questions were at the end of the mock lol. Good luck with yours and i know u will do amazing :smile:

yeah literally flag and move on if your life depended on it :") aww thank you so much i hope so and good luck to you too!
Original post by studentsixth
For anyone wanting to know what the VR will look like in the exam, please check out the UKCAT app, the practice questions are very similar to what people have been saying (ie long statements, hard to inference questions and VERY long passages)

You mean in the official UKCAT site or the phone app? In the phone app I could only find one passage.
Original post by hopefulmedic04
Anyone?

Just keep practising really intensely and if you feel unready just reschedule :smile: I read here that someone was getting a score of like 670 in the medify mocks and in the real thing they got 750.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Gogregg
I would beg to differ!
You could realise before taking it that you only want to apply to BMAT universities, therefore you decide to just attend, skip all the questions and get a 300 average to push the average down for others slightly :colondollar:
Have you done a driving theory test? It's taken in the same place as that.
But it's in like cubicles, so you only see people right next to you, and even then only if you're trying. The room is quite cold (or at least it was Manchester Piccadilly :lol:) since they have good air conditioning. The only distraction will be people coming in and out, and they do that quietly. You do have headphones that you can put on available to you, but it's up to you if you want to. You have somewhat enough space for the whiteboard and everything else. It's quite a dreary room, I'd say, the only excitement really comes from the actual taking of the test. It has sort of a nervous tension in there I'd say.
Good luck!

I'd be eternally grateful to dem humble souls :lovehug:
Original post by natalia.medicine
You mean in the official UKCAT site or the phone app? In the phone app I could only find one passage.

The phone app, there are 6.

Alright, thanks :smile:

For some reason I can only do one quiz which only has one passage and it's the same each time I try it. Where do you click?
For those that have done the test, is there a mock that is similar to the actual exam. Btw, each year there are three different possible tests, right?
For those that have done the test, is there a mock that is similar to the actual exam. Btw, each year there are three different possible tests, right?

(My test is tomorrow)

There are three official mocks on the ukcat website. Not sure what you mean by three different possible tests, as far as I'm aware they have an extremely large question bank and questions are picked randomly so no person will get exactly the same questions.*
For some reason I can only do one quiz which only has one passage and it's the same each time I try it. Where do you click?

You may need to update the app. It should come up at some point the option to update it. There should be 3 Quizes for each section!
Original post by thatcooldude2.0
Yes, go for unis that don't score gcses though

Which ones would you suggest? I really really wanted to go to Birmingham but I think that might be out now with my gcse results.
Which ones would you suggest? I really really wanted to go to Birmingham but I think that might be out now with my gcse results.

You'd definitely have a better chance going for Manchester, Newcastle, maybe Liverpool and Barts too. What's your ucas tariff like?
Are you planning to sit the bmat?
I mean with a score in the 700s you'd practically be guaranteed an interview in Manchester :smile:
Original post by thatcooldude2.0
You'd definitely have a better chance going for Manchester, Newcastle, maybe Liverpool and Barts too. What's your ucas tariff like?
Are you planning to sit the bmat?
I mean with a score in the 700s you'd practically be guaranteed an interview in Manchester :smile:

I have not looked into sitting the bmat as UKAT has been really stressful😁 But again would appreciate any advise to see if it is going to better if I do sit it. Re ucas points are these not available after you get AS or AL results?
I have not looked into sitting the bmat as UKAT has been really stressful😁 But again would appreciate any advise to see if it is going to better if I do sit it. Re ucas points are these not available after you get AS or AL results?

I think you count ucas points based on your predicted A2s. You do have a high score in the ukcat and section 1 of the bmat is similar to it, depends if you're up for it :smile: try a paper and see how it goes. If you took all the sciences and maths at AS you won't have to learn any extra things you may have missed at gcse.
Well, well, well :colone: I'm done with my UKCAT! :woo:

:party: :party: :party:

Quick Reply

Latest