The Student Room Group

Getting a job at 16

Im 15 and only 2 months till I'm 16.

I know that when I'm 16 I can get like a proper job.

I really want a job to get some money and that but I don't think I'd like having to do all the hours and I'm not really a people's person. Like I'm confident with my mates and that but at times I'm really socially awkward. Like with meeting new people and when I'm on my own.

Opinions ???

Also roughly what's the average pay a 16 year old gets ???
I thought it was the last Friday in June in the academic year you turn 16 not your actual 16th birthday?
First put together a CV if you don't have one already. Then go on a jobs website like Indeed or similar and have a look. You can also go around places in your area with your CV and ask if they're recruiting, or see if you have any relatives who know of opportunities coming up. Finally id advise you to sign up for job alerts websites for supermarkets like Waitrose which pay very well but the jobs go fast, so you give yourself a better chance of finding one.
Original post by AlexS101
I thought it was the last Friday in June in the academic year you turn 16 not your actual 16th birthday?

I think you're entitled to minimum wage once you turn 16, OP should now have a national insurance number and so on. The end of June thing is about hours you can work, so while you're still at school you are more limited on number of hours and so on

OP minimum wage is 3.87 for you, some employers may have you on a similar wage to other people which would be higher but the likelihood is if you found work it would be for minimum wage (or a few pence over) but in my experience employers are funny about hiring people until they leave high school even if they're 16
Original post by doodle_333
I think you're entitled to minimum wage once you turn 16, OP should now have a national insurance number and so on. The end of June thing is about hours you can work, so while you're still at school you are more limited on number of hours and so on

OP minimum wage is 3.87 for you, some employers may have you on a similar wage to other people which would be higher but the likelihood is if you found work it would be for minimum wage (or a few pence over) but in my experience employers are funny about hiring people until they leave high school even if they're 16

The limited number of hours thing is bull at 16 I was still in school and worked 41hours a week in a supermarket at £7.52 an hour.
Minimum wage at 16 is around £5 an hour, however most supermarkets pay £7.20 or aldi pay £8.80
Minimum wage is £3.87 per hour for 16/17 year olds. It's unlikely you'll find a job with no pass the experience at a higher rate. Start out pot washing for pubs, couple of hours a week in a retail shop or waitressing. The pay is likely to be higher at a shop such as primark (£4.50 an hour for under 18s). I currently work at a local Italian restaurant on minimum wage but on £6 an hour at a larger man v food chain.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by niteninja1
The limited number of hours thing is bull at 16 I was still in school and worked 41hours a week in a supermarket at £7.52 an hour.

well, it's the law and plenty of employers will adhere to it
Original post by doodle_333
well, it's the law and plenty of employers will adhere to it

Really I work for a large multiple supermarket
At 16 I started at the supermarket where I work and was straight away put on 6.50 an hour now 7.52 most large retailers don't age discrimate as they don't have the systems in place to and the cost to implement them is too costly in the short run
The actual hours limit is 40 hours for over sixteens, an hour extra will easily be overlooked
Original post by fxlloutboyy
The actual hours limit is 40 hours for over sixteens, an hour extra will easily be overlooked

Exactly it was all O/T anyway I was contract 15hours.

I also get time and a half on Sunday's making my pay £11.28 an hour.

I don't understand why any 16-25 year olds would take a wage of less than £7 an hour.
By taking this pay your telling employers it is a fair wage

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending