The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Insight314
I don't mind having a photo taken or get asked questions, but they expect me to bring school's uniform and for my mum to also come for results day. All this is too much preparation for something which may not even happen, given that there is a chance (low one) that I may have missed my offer.

Personally if you are happy to be interviewed and have a photo taken I'm not sure why adding the uniform makes such a difference. It would be the interview and photo that would pressurise me... :smile: If anything, wearing a uniform should reduce the worry because you don't need to stress about what to wear.

It's also your decision whether you bring your mum or not. I'm sure she will understand one way or the other.
If the school finds out on Wednesday, would they not call me on that day to scrap everything if I have not met my offer?

I doubt it. For one thing it would breach the results embargo.

And they will still be hugely proud of your achievements, even if you miss the offer (which you won't)...
Original post by jneill
Personally if you are happy to be interviewed and have a photo taken I'm not sure why adding the uniform makes such a difference. It would be the interview and photo that would pressurise me... :smile: If anything, wearing a uniform should reduce the worry because you don't need to stress about what to wear.

I am fine with the interview and the photo. I have a long commute (1 hour or so) from my house to school, so it would be quite weird to be a guy in a school's uniform during summer break. Anyway, I can live with that.

Original post by jneill
It's also your decision whether you bring your mum or not. I'm sure she will understand one way or the other.

The thing is I don't think it's my decision since they called me mum, and asked her directly to come to school as well. And for some reason she got really excited about it, so I don't think I can even tell her not to come lol.
Original post by physicsmaths
Just check on thursday at 8am then go on from there.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, the guy who called me mum wanted to speak to me but I was asleep so he's gonna call me and gonna ask him what time I got to be there, and what if I don't meet my offer. I hope it's after 8am, so I can do what you advice me to do and check UCAS track before I am there.

Original post by jneill
I doubt it. For one thing it would breach the results embargo.

And they will still be hugely proud of your achievements, even if you miss the offer (which you won't)...

Does it really breach the results embargo if they only contact me to tell me that there will not be any photos/interviews taken?

I guess so, but isn't the main purpose of it that I would be in Cambridge two years earlier?
Nah, can't get them online. My mum also really wants to come. If it was after I knew about the results I would be fine with anything they ask me, but I want to know I got the offer and then do **** like that.

I feel for you, really I do. If I were you, I'd just go on in there, get my results and leave. You are an adult now and no one can force you to do anything that you don't want to. I'd imagine you probably don't want all the extra attention, whether your results are good or bad. Making you do an interview is really intrusive.

Having said that, I doubt they will still want you to do an interview if your grades aren't what you'd like because that would be very unpleasant for you. Given the school gets your results a day before we do, they won't call you in for an interview if your results aren't what you'd hoped.

I recommend that you contact your school yourself now and tell them that you won't be doing the interview.
Original post by physicsmaths
Just check on thursday at 8am then go on from there.

I am fine with the interview and the photo. I have a long commute (1 hour or so) from my house to school, so it would be quite weird to be a guy in a school's uniform during summer break. Anyway, I can live with that.

The thing is I don't think it's my decision since they called me mum, and asked her directly to come to school as well. And for some reason she got really excited about it, so I don't think I can even tell her not to come lol.

Or midnight before - STEP will tell you all much of what you need to know. Hit STEP and everyone is in.

They called your mum because she is your mum AND is your school's primary point of contact for you (especially given your age). Of course she's excited... but also she is likely to be assuming your school knows the results when, in fact, they don't.

Have a talk with her to explain the situation. I am SURE she will respect and support whatever you want to do. Equally it might be nice to bring her along, especially if it's a long commute each way.

Does it really breach the results embargo if they only contact me to tell me that there will not be any photos/interviews taken?I guess so, but isn't the main purpose of it that I would be in Cambridge two years earlier?

It would breach the embargo because the clear implication would be you missed the offer. The main purpose is the number of exams you have taken in one go, as well as the place at Cambridge, as well as it being taken early. PR can spin your achievements for your school even if you narrowly miss Cambridge (which you won't).
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Platopus
You are an adult now

Actually he's not. He's still under 18... but as I said I'm sure his mum will support whatever Insight wants to do.
Original post by jneill
Or midnight before - STEP will tell you all much of what you need to know. Hit STEP and everyone is in.

They called you mum because she is your mum AND is your school's primary point of contact for you (especially given your age). Of course she's excited... but also she is likely to be assuming your school knows the results when, in fact, they don't.

Have a talk with her to explain the situation. I am SURE she will respect and support whatever you want to do. Equally it might be nice to bring her along, especially if it's a long commute each way.

It would breach the embargo because the clear implication would be you missed the offer. The main purpose is the number of exams you have taken in one go, as well as the place at Cambridge, as well as it being taken early. PR can spin your achievements for your school even if you narrowly miss Cambridge (which you won't).

Hitting step hehe.
Damnit.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You are an adult now and no one can force you to do anything that you don't want to.

No, I am not. I am 16. :frown:

I feel for you, really I do. If I were you, I'd just go on in there, get my results and leave. You are an adult now and no one can force you to do anything that you don't want to. I'd imagine you probably don't want all the extra attention, whether your results are good or bad. Making you do an interview is really intrusive.

Having said that, I doubt they will still want you to do an interview if your grades aren't what you'd like because that would be very unpleasant for you. Given the school gets your results a day before we do, they won't call you in for an interview if your results aren't what you'd hoped.

I recommend that you contact your school yourself now and tell them that you won't be doing the interview.

The thing is that it would be nice to be interviewed/taken a photo as long as I have met my offer. I promised my school before exams that I would do that anyway. My school is not some big posh school that gets at least one Oxbridge person in every year; they have never gotten an Oxbridge applicant before, and it would definitely help them if I did that. My school has been quite libertarian with my self-studying, and given me the freedom to do what I want to do so I can get my grades. I am very grateful of that, and the least I could do is just take some 10 minute (not idea how long they are) interview and a photo.
The thing is that it would be nice to be interviewed/taken a photo as long as I have met my offer. I promised my school before exams that I would do that anyway. My school is not some big posh school that gets at least one Oxbridge person in every year; they have never gotten an Oxbridge applicant before, and it would definitely help them if I did that. My school has been quite libertarian with my self-studying, and given me the freedom to do what I want to do so I can get my grades. I am very grateful of that, and the least I could do is just take some 10 minute (not idea how long they are) interview and a photo.

Exactly. And you can even remind your school in advance that you would prefer not to be interviewed if you miss your offer on the day (which you won't). Again, I'm sure they will be very understanding and supportive.
Original post by jneill

They called your mum because she is your mum AND is your school's primary point of contact for you (especially given your age). Of course she's excited... but also she is likely to be assuming your school knows the results when, in fact, they don't.

I see, thank you so much! I am gonna make sure she knows that this call didn't mean I had met my offer.
Original post by jneill
Exactly. And you can even remind your school in advance that you would prefer not to be interviewed if you miss your offer on the day (which you won't). Again, I'm sure they will be very understanding and supportive.

All right, gonna do that.

Result's day is starting to feel way too real now.
Original post by jneill
Actually he's not. He's still under 18... but as I said I'm sure his mum will support whatever Insight wants to do.

No, I am not. I am 16. :frown:

Oops. Well, you'd be an adult in Scotland anyhow :tongue:

Regardless, what you want is important.

My apologies, I misunderstood the interview situation. I thought you didn't want to do it either way. Maybe you could call up and ask to cancel the interview, with a view to rescheduling it for Friday if you achieve your offer.
@jneill, @Platopus, @physicsmaths,

I partially misunderstood my mum when she told me about the call since I was half-asleep. It seems like the Principal of my school called my mum to ask her if I could get a photo taken tomorrow or on Wednesday with my school uniform. He had to get permission from my mum for the photo and to get my phone number since I am still a kid. I will later today be contacted by him to choose between Tuesday or Wednesday to take the photo, and I will only be interviewed on results day after I get my results. My mum doesn't even need to come to school with me on results day and she will be interviewed by phone. I am way less worried now. :smile:

As for choosing when to take the photo, I am thinking of taking it on Wednesday since then I could see his facial expression/reaction of whether I got the grades or not. :biggrin:
@jneill, @Platopus, @physicsmaths,

I partially misunderstood my mum when she told me about the call since I was half-asleep. It seems like the Principal of my school called my mum to ask her if I could get a photo taken tomorrow or on Wednesday with my school uniform. He had to get permission from my mum for the photo and to get my phone number since I am still a kid. I will later today be contacted by him to choose between Tuesday or Wednesday to take the photo, and I will only be interviewed on results day after I get my results. My mum doesn't even need to come to school with me on results day and she will be interviewed by phone. I am way less worried now. :smile:

As for choosing when to take the photo, I am thinking of taking it on Wednesday since then I could see his facial expression/reaction of whether I got the grades or not. :biggrin:

That sounds good :smile: glad to hear it's all ok and good luck!
Original post by Serine Soul
Politics brings out the worst in people.

I still feel bad about some of the things I said after the Brexit vote. I turned against my own people

What things did you say?
Oops. Well, you'd be an adult in Scotland anyhow :tongue:

Are you Schottisch? :mob:
Original post by Mathemagicien

Nope :colondollar:

Spoiler

Original post by Mathemagicien

Deutschland version profile pic!
Original post by Zacken
best part about being a mathmo is that your PS takes 20 minutes to write and nobody even bothers reading it

Lol wish I'd known this before. I spent as much time on the PS as I did on my American essays

Latest

Trending

Trending