The Student Room Group

Official AS & A2 Results Day 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SCIENCE :D
Hopefully a B, but I'm feeling like I may have got a C after the exams.

I feel like I had a C or a low B too really. Needed an A for uni :frown:
Original post by greenteaturtle
dude i just did the same thing. they confirmed that I had applied for accommodation and asked me if i was waiting for my a-level results and i said yes, and they said they'd send me my accommodation details 10 days or so after results. i don't know whether or not to take that as confirmation... not getting my hopes up... my last paper was horrendous.

TBH I bet if you told them that you've already got the grades then they might check it in more detail and accidentally tell you you've got in in confirmation your accomdation .... Hmmm
Original post by doctorwhofan98
A2 is definitely harder than AS in most subjects, though I actually found A2 Lit easier, so it might depend on how you work etc. You'll probably be fine if you don't leave stuff till the last minute - for example, in A2 History, we had to do coursework, which was entirely independent research and therefore completely daunting. I did procrastinate a bit, but I left enough time, so the daunting task became significantly less daunting and everything turned out ok. Meanwhile, a lot of other people left it till literally the last day, making the task impossible, and came out with bad grades. So there is a jump to A2, but as long as you're aware of it, and plan appropriately, you'll be fine, and the same applies to exams - they may seem daunting, with more to learn and a more difficult technique, but plan to go over topics and revise early and you'll be ok.

As for university, think carefully about your choices. I messed up in that regard - I only visited top unis last summer as I wrongly presumed I'd get 4 As. I instead got AAABB, which led to last minute application changes. Ultimately I'm happy with my firm, but I really don't like my insurance (too late to change as I only visited after applying!), and I regret not applying to my dream uni - I'd presumed I wouldn't get in, when I would've actually had a decent chance. Visit everywhere, have a backup you like, and have an optimistic choice! Also, start on your personal statement early, and get advice from as many people as you can... but don't be afraid to ignore what you think is bad advice!

And a final couple of tips - don't panic, no matter how daunting/scary year 13 can be, make good use of your frees (the year will fly by - take advantage of the time), and don't don't work too many hours if you have a job.

Thanks so much for replying! I take biology, chemistry, maths psychology and GS so no coursework for me thankfully, but thanks for the advice! Think I am going to try and keep up with work all year round going over stuff so hopefully the cram time will be a lot less stressful! I literally did not work in ONE of my frees last year I just sat and talked (which is so bad as I had basically half frees as psychology is taught out of hours) so will try and not do that this year :rolleyes:

I am scared I will do exactly the same thing! I want to do medicine and some courses are AAAb and some are like A*A*Aa-A*AAa. I have only really visited top unis like oxbridge and london ones as of yet as I have just been assuming I will get all As at AS but thats probably such a bad strategy. Going to see Bristol which is AAAb I think. What was your dream uni? I always wanted to go to Oxford but I recently found out about the percentage of A* measure and as I got 10A* and 3A's (our school made us do sooo many :frown: ) Its out unfortunately.

I have already finished my personal statement (practically) as our school made everyone finish it in July (we had UCAS week where successful ex-students for all subjects and teachers checked and helped us change it til they were happy and signed us off) so hopefully thats all good.

Thanks so much for the tips haha literally saved me now I am going to make sure I visit lower grade requirement unis too. Where did you apply and what course? :smile:
Original post by thatcooldude2.0
I feel like I had a C or a low B too really. Needed an A for uni :frown:

We'll see what happens,Good luck to you my friend.
Original post by fefssdf
TBH I bet if you told them that you've already got the grades then they might check it in more detail and accidentally tell you you've got in in confirmation your accomdation .... Hmmm

eh why don't you try? i've already called them once, i dont want to call twice
Original post by thatcooldude2.0
Start revising right now

Spoiler

Hahaha , seriously, some people in my year have actually started revising already :cheeky: Yeah definitely will, thanks :smile:
Original post by chemstudent314
same subjects! how did you find CH5 , C4, S2( if you did stats) and BY4? I hated the BY4 exam :'(

CH5 went shite for me, I missed out so many questions and they were all 6 markers. Also completely forgot to revise pH graphs which we had 2 pages of questions for. Coursework is the only thing going to save my chemistry grade now :redface:
C4 wasn't too bad but I probably had a lot of errors, I can't remember it too well
I didn't do S2 this year :smile:
Hated the BY4 exam too! Had no clue for a lot of questions, the essay questions weren't too bad though.
Original post by similenacy
Thanks once again for the fast response.
I don't believe they did as the school is pretty amateurish even though it costs almost a fortune :mad:

:mad: schools can be a nightmare - especially when they get defensive about their own performance

I'm sure you'll be fine - a LOT of people get accepted with missed grades (and as I say you're a "points equivalent" - so you're above all the people who don't have better performance in one subject to make up for dropping a grade elsewhere).

Original post by fefssdf
Yh I guess so I mean I know what my plan is but yeh hopefully my insurance will actually reject me cause the offer is A*AB with the A* in maths yet I'm expecting either AAB or A*AB but the A* in the wrong subject but then again they seem to be pretty lenient and it doesn't help my school meant my application was flagged up for contextual factors :/ stupid how it's come to the point I hope I get rejected . This is why the UCAS system is bit flawed cause in situations like this you could end up taking an unplanned gap year -_-

In an ideal world (ie in the imaginary world that I am in charge of :ninjagirl: ) I'd have everyone take a gap year - so everyone would be applying with their results in hand and with a bit of experience doing something else and time to think about what makes them happy.

But then I'd also made media studies compulsory teaching in primary school and make a C in General Studies A level a minimum requirement for entry onto any university course...so I probably shouldn't be trusted :wink:
Original post by Caver
I'm genuinely looking at BTEC courses that my college offer in case I don't get the grades to go onto A2 .... xDD

What grades do you need to get onto A2?
Original post by SCIENCE :D
We'll see what happens,Good luck to you my friend.

Thanks
Good luck to you too!! :smile:
Original post by greenteaturtle
eh why don't you try? i've already called them once, i dont want to call twice

I've already got my accomdation offer for my firm and my insurance I've already rang up today trying to get them to reject me lol so don't wanna annoy them even more 😐
Reply 4851
Original post by fefssdf
I've already got my accomdation offer for my firm and my insurance I've already rang up today trying to get them to reject me lol so don't wanna annoy them even more 😐

Your insurance let you book accommodation?!
Reply 4852
Original post by PQ
:mad: schools can be a nightmare - especially when they get defensive about their own performance

I'm sure you'll be fine - a LOT of people get accepted with missed grades (and as I say you're a "points equivalent" - so you're above all the people who don't have better performance in one subject to make up for dropping a grade elsewhere).

In an ideal world (ie in the imaginary world that I am in charge of :ninjagirl: ) I'd have everyone take a gap year - so everyone would be applying with their results in hand and with a bit of experience doing something else and time to think about what makes them happy.

But then I'd also made media studies compulsory teaching in primary school and make a C in General Studies A level a minimum requirement for entry onto any university course...so I probably shouldn't be trusted :wink:

Or just have uni start in January so there are 4 months on uni applications where everyone knows their results :wink:
Original post by PQ

I couldn't agree more this system of ' offers ' causes so many problems given you're asked to try and guess what grades you'll get in 6 months time when you could easily flop a few exams :frown:
Original post by isabella1999
Hahaha , seriously, some people in my year have actually started revising already :cheeky: Yeah definitely will, thanks :smile:

Haha I remember I started last year too then gave up after a good week :u:
There are a few things you can do to prepare yourself though like find the spec for each subject, edit it to make it shorter and print it off so you can use it as a checklist when revising. Also I printed off a few past papers last year for those subjects I knew teachers won't give past papers for.
Have you done a draft of your personal statement for university? I'd recommend doing that now before you start the year :smile:
Original post by Aph
Or just have uni start in January so there are 4 months on uni applications where everyone knows their results :wink:

Yep this would be the sensible option but unfortunately it isn't gonna change any time soon
Original post by Aph
Your insurance let you book accommodation?!

My insurance gives out accomdation offers from results day but my firm gives out accomdation offers a week after I applied so I knew back in march
Original post by isabella1999
Thanks so much for replying! I take biology, chemistry, maths psychology and GS so no coursework for me thankfully, but thanks for the advice! Think I am going to try and keep up with work all year round going over stuff so hopefully the cram time will be a lot less stressful! I literally did not work in ONE of my frees last year I just sat and talked (which is so bad as I had basically half frees as psychology is taught out of hours) so will try and not do that this year :rolleyes:

I am scared I will do exactly the same thing! I want to do medicine and some courses are AAAb and some are like A*A*Aa-A*AAa. I have only really visited top unis like oxbridge and london ones as of yet as I have just been assuming I will get all As at AS but thats probably such a bad strategy. Going to see Bristol which is AAAb I think. What was your dream uni? I always wanted to go to Oxford but I recently found out about the percentage of A* measure and as I got 10A* and 3A's (our school made us do sooo many :frown: ) Its out unfortunately.

I have already finished my personal statement (practically) as our school made everyone finish it in July (we had UCAS week where successful ex-students for all subjects and teachers checked and helped us change it til they were happy and signed us off) so hopefully thats all good.

Thanks so much for the tips haha literally saved me now I am going to make sure I visit lower grade requirement unis too. Where did you apply and what course? :smile:

I applied for Law, and Durham was my dream uni once I'd gone on an open day. After getting my AS grades I immediately dropped it from my list, but ultimately my predicted grades matched their entry requirements (A*AA), my LNAT score was decent and I had received 5 offers, so in retrospect I really should've applied! But things did largely turn out ok, as I only looked at York in my post-results panic, but ended up loving it there, eventually leading to it being my firm. My insurance (Leicester) is the main regret - as it was the only uni that asked for AAB (all others were AAA), I had to place it as my insurance so I'm really dreading results as I don't want to go there!

As you're applying for medicine it'll be harder to get a good backup but hopefully it won't be necessary and you'll get into your firm. The main point is to at least visit 'lesser' universities - as I'm sure you know, websites/prospectuses aren't exhaustive. For a while, my insurance didn't even have any pictures of their accommodation online! I presumed it would be fine regardless, but when I visited their accommodation turned out to be poor. Anything can happen on results day (I was working at As all year in AS Lit... and somehow got a C in the exam!) so it's best to be prepared, but I'm sure you'll be fine.

I found that the personal statement was the most difficult part of the UCAS application so it's great you've got that done already. One of my friends applied for medicine and sat both the BMAT and UKCAT, and ultimately got four offers including Cambridge - so if you've any medicine-specific questions, about the entrance exams or anything else really, let me know and I can ask him.
Original post by Aph

There was a whole movement to get results brought back to early June and uni courses starting in October to go to post results applications.

The exam boards and the scottish universities (and oxbridge and the medics) wouldn't play.

They put the fees up to £9k instead [without the pressure from a Labour government there was no way to force it through] and broght in Adjustment (which is half baked and barely works)
Reply 4859
Original post by fefssdf
Yep this would be the sensible option but unfortunately it isn't gonna change any time soon
plus if you brought back September resits it would all work perfectly.

The issue unis have is that it would be a nightmare to change their system even if they wanted to because either it would be a sudden shift (lots of chaos) or a change brought it gradually each year (teachers then teaching throughout the year) or the alternative would be to move their start a weak back every year until they reach January which would be better but take forever (17-18 years?)

Quick Reply

Latest