The Student Room Group

French mayor bans burkinis

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dima-Blackburn
Should I, as a German-born British Asian, not have the same rights as you? How very enlightened of you.

IN the UK no you should not just like I should not have the same rights as a German in Germany

But once again it seems it's OK for immigrants to want things in the countries they shop around in to find something better than 'back home' at the expense of those who don't
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by WBZ144
It is relevant, and I have pointed out many times how it is relevant but you are too cowardly to admit it.

no. you wanting it to be 'relevant' (as it is your last card you can play to try an show how terrible we are) is not the same as it being relevant.
Original post by WBZ144

So people who go to live in non-Western countries should not abide by the country's laws because they are "inferior"? That's a very hypocritical and cultural supremacist way of thinking.

Yet you are arguing for exactly this

'People moving (or in this case even holidaying) to France should should not abide by the country's laws because they are "inferior"?'
Original post by BaconandSauce
no. you wanting it to be 'relevant' (as it is your last card you can play to try an show how terrible we are) is not the same as it being relevant.

You and I both know that you would not be asking a White person to "prove" that he/she isn't an immigrant. You thought that you could use that as some sort of weapon to silence me because of my skintone, and that is obvious. And who is "we"? I have pointed out how terrible, racist and bigoted you are, I don't remember referring to multiple people.
Yet you are arguing for exactly this

'People moving (or in this case even holidaying) to France should should not abide by the country's laws because they are "inferior"?'

Show me where I said that people should not obey the law.

Criticising a law /= encouraging people to disobey it. Again, you fail at simple linguistics.
/Thread
Original post by Josb
Tyranny of the majority is inevitable in any organised society. In this case the "minority" is limited to a few thousands individuals, and the "tyrannical" laws only prevent them from wearing some sets of clothes that they didn't wear 10 years ago.

As I pointed above, these laws that weren't made through a democratic process and therefore cannot be compared to ours.

Not really. We have measures in place to prevent the tyranny of the majority in a representative democracy. You seem to think absolute democracy, even if it leads to the erosion of minority rights, is a good thing.

A few thousands too many. And so? If I decide to wear a turban today, which I didn't wear 10 years ago, should I be prevented from doing so?

Sure they can be compared; if we based our laws on the whims of the majority, we'd have no taxation.
Original post by WBZ144
You and I both know that you would not be asking a White person to "prove" that he/she isn't an immigrant.

how would I know they are white?
how would I know they are white?

If their profile picture showed they were, as mine shows that I am Black, obviously.
Original post by WBZ144
Show me where I said that people should not obey the law.

Criticising a law /= encouraging people to disobey it. Again, you fail at simple linguistics.

No i understand well enough

Do you agree if this is the law it should be complied with yes or no

Do you also agree it is up to the french to decide what laws they want and not immigrants to the country. and while we may criticise this it is up to them and not you or I what laws they want in their country
Original post by WBZ144
If their profile picture showed they were, as mine shows that I am Black, obviously.

No profile picture is not good enough as if that was the case I'm a African.

How would I know a person is white
IN the UK no you should not just like I should not have the same rights as a German in Germany

So the fact that I was born in Germany, even though I'm a British citizen, means you should be able to discriminate against me? I shouldn't be able to criticise the British government? Should I be arrested? Thanks for exposing your intolerance.

But once again it seems it's OK for immigrants to want things in the countries they shop around in to find something better than 'back home' at the expense of those who don't

What a red-herring. You're bitter about the economic benefits of immigration? Grow up.
Original post by Dima-Blackburn
So the fact that I was born in Germany, even though I'm a British citizen, means you should be able to discriminate against me? I shouldn't be able to criticise the British government? Should I be arrested? Thanks for exposing your intolerance.

What a red-herring. You're bitter about the economic benefits of immigration? Grow up.

ah you've moved the goal post you said you were a born in Germany hence a German not a citizen of this country

But it's not discrimination to prevent immigrants having a say in some cases

and it seems you are incapable of posting without childish name calling so 'll not bother posting about the pro and cons of immigration and those who do benefit us and those who don't as it would be a waste of my time
No i understand well enough

Do you agree if this is the law it should be complied with yes or no

Do you also agree it is up to the french to decide what laws they want and not immigrants to the country. and while we may criticise this it is up to them and not you or I what laws they want in their country

Obviously not every woman who wears a burkini is going to be an immigrant.

Laws should be abided by while they are still force, they may also be criticised and that's just fine. If someone challenges them in court or works in other ways to change them then that is just fine too, as there is no law against them doing so in a democratic society.
No profile picture is not good enough as if that was the case I'm a African.

How would I know a person is white

Anyone can tell that your profile picture is not yours. Even if they did not know who the person in your dp was, Googling it to find out would be easy.

However, when somebody uses a dp of themselves it's normally easy to tell.

Are you going to now pretend that you did not know I was Black?
Original post by WBZ144
Obviously not every woman who wears a burkini is going to be an immigrant.

Laws should be abided by while they are still force, they may also be criticised and that's just fine. If someone challenges them in court or works in other ways to change them then that is just fine too, as there is no law against them doing so in a democratic society.

Not a claim I have made but Islam is a import into France and a recent one at that (hence the changing of the laws and requests such as this to counter its influence in the public sphere)

Again never said there was anything wrong (if you actually paid attention you would I know I am actually against such a ban) in challenging the law.

But at least we can agree the law should be respected and this is for the french people to decide and no one else (unless you still think the EU should be making our laws that is)
Original post by Ribbit1234
There's no point in arguing with him. He's one of them who has a weird obsession/hate against Islam and so would naturally be against anything that Islam encourages. If it was any other group, he, like the racist French president wouldn't care about something so minor like what people wear. But since the Burkini is associated with Muslims, it is something that should be strictly forbidden and laws and legislations should be held in place because of it. Don't pay any attention, the Muslims in France don't :smile:

In fairness, Sarkozi might have been racist but Hollande really isn't
Original post by WBZ144
Anyone can tell that your profile picture is not yours. Even if they did not know who the person in your dp was, Googling it to find out would be easy.

However, when somebody uses a dp of themselves it's normally easy to tell.

Are you going to now pretend that you did not know I was Black?

Not what I asked I asked how would I know they are white

This is your claim so at least make some effort to defend it (or is it just more lies to help you score a few cheap point against me?)
ah you've moved the goal post you said you were a born in Germany hence a German not a citizen of this country

I'm not moving any goal post. Work on your reading and comprehension skills.

But it's not discrimination to prevent immigrants having a say in some cases

I don't think you understand what discrimination means either!

and it seems you are incapable of posting without childish name calling so 'll not bother posting about the pro and cons of immigration and those who do benefit us and those who don't as it would be a waste of my time

We can start another thread on immigration in general so you can direct your red-herrings there.
Original post by WBZ144
Money is one reason: salaries are high and tax-free, especially if you have a degree from a Western university.

So people who go to live in non-Western countries should not abide by the country's laws because they are "inferior"? That's a very hypocritical and cultural supremacist way of thinking. It is absolutely fine to criticise the laws and even work to change them but expecting certain behaviour from people who come here but not the same from British people who go over there is the height of hypocrisy.

I am against completely against forcing women to cover up as well (though I have stated many times how banning them from going swimming won't solve the problem), but there are religious women who think that it makes them closer to their god and that they will be rewarded for the efforts so why force them to stop covering?

Is the ban to protect women from being forced to cover or is it because they are being associated with terrorists? Some people here keep contradicting themselves as to what the reason is, so which is it?

Where did I say they shouldnt abide by the countrys laws? I said they should because otherwise they'll end up imprisoned for it.There is no reason why we shouldnt criticise those laws though but if you want to change those laws then its up to the local people not us.And I've already said that western culture is superior,there is nothing wrong with cultural supremicism when its true.Not all cultures are equal.Saudi arabia beheads gay people and Iran hangs them,you cant tell me that that culture is equal to ours where they can be open about who they are.Its just not.That culture is inferior.The ban is to do both.Islam forces women to cover up to protect their modesty.But extreme Islam encourages terrorism and if you're an islamic extremist you're likely to cover up.There is a correlation between extreme Islam and terrorism.Those people who say it has nothing to do with Islam are wrong.It has everything to do with it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending