The Student Room Group

Official AS & A2 Results Day 2016

Scroll to see replies

How did you find OCR FP2, S2, D2??
Original post by chemstudent314
same i found the CH5 6 markers particularly mean:frown: I learnt transition metals so well and it barely came up:colonhash: Yeah same, I feel like the paper for C4 was okay but I messed up and missed a few parts of some questions. BY4 felt like 99% application and 1% recall which was really frustating because I did all the past papers and it something different entirely. Yeah the essay question was okay i guess.. are you going to uni this september?

did you do ocr chemistry unit 5
biomedicine, ah I see I'm sure you'll be fine! :smile: where do you want to go?

That's great :smile: I've always wanted to go Imperial, but any medical school is good really. Just have to wait and see how results day goes :erm:
Original post by justthatboy
did you do ocr chemistry unit 5

nopee sorry wjec
Original post by thatcooldude2.0
That's great :smile: I've always wanted to go Imperial, but any medical school is good really. Just have to wait and see how results day goes :erm:

wow imperial is really good, yeaahh *fingers crossed* :smile:
Original post by notanooblol
Does anyone else do OCR MEI further maths?

Unfortunately :biggrin:
Original post by doctorwhofan98
I applied for Law, and Durham was my dream uni once I'd gone on an open day. After getting my AS grades I immediately dropped it from my list, but ultimately my predicted grades matched their entry requirements (A*AA), my LNAT score was decent and I had received 5 offers, so in retrospect I really should've applied! But things did largely turn out ok, as I only looked at York in my post-results panic, but ended up loving it there, eventually leading to it being my firm. My insurance (Leicester) is the main regret - as it was the only uni that asked for AAB (all others were AAA), I had to place it as my insurance so I'm really dreading results as I don't want to go there!

As you're applying for medicine it'll be harder to get a good backup but hopefully it won't be necessary and you'll get into your firm. The main point is to at least visit 'lesser' universities - as I'm sure you know, websites/prospectuses aren't exhaustive. For a while, my insurance didn't even have any pictures of their accommodation online! I presumed it would be fine regardless, but when I visited their accommodation turned out to be poor. Anything can happen on results day (I was working at As all year in AS Lit... and somehow got a C in the exam!) so it's best to be prepared, but I'm sure you'll be fine.

I found that the personal statement was the most difficult part of the UCAS application so it's great you've got that done already. One of my friends applied for medicine and sat both the BMAT and UKCAT, and ultimately got four offers including Cambridge - so if you've any medicine-specific questions, about the entrance exams or anything else really, let me know and I can ask him.

Oh yeah some of my law friends visited Durham and said it was amazing, though heard York is great too! And you got four offers that's amazing! What were your other two? I'm sure you will be fine :smile: and do you think York would accept if you just missed?

Hopefully, that is if I get two offers 😅 It's so competitive ah and that's crazy! Accommodation is such an important thing!

Wow that's amazing! I don't really have any questions I don't think minds gone blank except... Hmm... Maybe like should the personal statement me more academic or "social" based as I did mine more academic but was worrying this might put some unis off as I didn't write loooads about extracurriculars and hobbies etc. Thanks :smile:
Original post by Cadherin
Unfortunately :biggrin:

Which modules? I remember seeing you on one of the exam threads. What grade are you aiming for?
Hey people! I've applied for biomedicine and my firm is Brighton for BBB. I'm not sure if I want that anymore. Could I go to a better uni i.e somewhere like liverpool or Manchester with the same grades through clearing? If they have spaces? Or would those unis want the grade requirements that they had in the first place?
I put cardiff as my firm and kent as insurance but I feel like I'll have to go through clearing :redface: are you applying for 2017 entry? thank you!

I put Cardiff as my firm too! have you heard anything from them yet? and what course did you apply for?
Original post by gp1208
I put Cardiff as my firm too! have you heard anything from them yet? and what course did you apply for?

nope:redface: have you? biomedicine wbu?
Another Cardiff firm here. Need AAB but my pessimist mind just isn't seeing myself getting it. Thankfully I won't have to go through clearing, but I'd rather not have to go to my Insurance (Portsmouth) if I don't have to.
Original post by ToastiestZombie
Another Cardiff firm here. Need AAB but my pessimist mind just isn't seeing myself getting it. Thankfully I won't have to go through clearing, but I'd rather not have to go to my Insurance (Portsmouth) if I don't have to.

Another Cardiff firmer here also! For Dentistry though :tongue: Dreading results day D:
Original post by Dioooooon
Another Cardiff firmer here also! For Dentistry though :tongue: Dreading results day D:

Damn, with Dentistry I can't imagine how stressful it must be. I'm looking to do Business with Business, English and Film as my three subjects last year and even then I'm still bricking it.
Original post by isabella1999
Oh yeah some of my law friends visited Durham and said it was amazing, though heard York is great too! And you got four offers that's amazing! What were your other two? I'm sure you will be fine :smile: and do you think York would accept if you just missed?

Hopefully, that is if I get two offers 😅 It's so competitive ah and that's crazy! Accommodation is such an important thing!

Wow that's amazing! I don't really have any questions I don't think minds gone blank except... Hmm... Maybe like should the personal statement me more academic or "social" based as I did mine more academic but was worrying this might put some unis off as I didn't write loooads about extracurriculars and hobbies etc. Thanks :smile:

I got 5 offers in total - other than York and Leicester, I got offers from Warwick, Newcastle and Birmingham. I hadn't expected to get more than 2 or 3 (which would've effectively led to no decisions being necessary), so I was surprised when I got 5, and it took me a long time to reach a final decision. Whenever I visited a university, it became my favourite, which inevitably caused issues, but ultimately I'm really happy with my firm. Actually that's another bit of advice - visit universities whenever you can (definitely go on post-offer visits!) and take your time when finalising decisions. My medicine friend (I'll just use his name, Andy, to simplify things!) loved Imperial the first time he visited, then liked it a lot less when going for his interview, but ultimately liked it enough to insure it. Basically, feelings about universities will vary, and don't rush anything! I'm hoping York will accept me if I miss the grades (I think Politics might have gone badly :-/) but it's all uncertain, though I'm lucky that Leicester had given me an unconditional - as that's my insurance, I can get any grade and still study Law, albeit not at my preferred university.

I was sent Andy's personal statement (we exchanged a lot of drafts) so I can answer that question - keep it largely academic. When he referenced extra-curricular stuff, it was rare, and he linked it back to medicine regarding skills, so when referencing the Duke of Edinburgh Gold Award, he noted that the "expedition required... teamwork", and mentioned how he balanced his studies with exercise. The rest of it was academic, or about work-experience, and he didn't even mention stuff like becoming Deputy Head Boy, in favour of things like medicine residentials instead; don't be afraid to mention things like Head Girl or similar though, as Andy might have taken it too far. Universities are more interested in stuff relevant to the course than not, so anything you do include should have some kind of link to the course, like leadership skills etc.

If you think of any questions any time during the admissions process feel free to tag/message me, as I'm staying in touch with Andy as we head off to uni and I'm sure he'll be happy to answer any questions, any time. :smile:
I want to do Law and l was wondering if l get AAA in my A-levels, would they take into account my GCSE grades? (because l was too stupid back then)
Oh my god it keeps hitting me that results day is so soon and I'm *****ing myself hahahahh
Original post by isabella1999
should the personal statement me more academic or "social" based as I did mine more academic but was worrying this might put some unis off as I didn't write loooads about extracurriculars and hobbies etc. Thanks :smile:

Always focus on the academics - remember that an admissions tutor in a university has likely done a degree in the subject, a masters and a PhD and has now dedicated their professional life to researching and teaching that subject. They're absolutely focused on their subject (http://matt.might.net/articles/phd-school-in-pictures/ ) and they're looking for that level of excitement and focus from their applicants.

Any PS is only being evaluated to check 3 things:
a) does the applicant know what they're applying for (if it's clear they've got no clue what the degree is about or where it will get them then that's usually a rejection)
b) does the applicant have the interest and motivation to stick out this course for 3+ year (that's where talking about topics/work you're looking forward to, research on your subject/career outside of your curriculum etc demonstrate a clear dedication)
c) does the applicant have the necessary non-academic skills/attributes to succeed on the course (usually this isn't covered - for vocational courses this is where discussion of work experience and shadowing and reflection on what you know about the course/career and yourself become very important).

When you read your PS if content isn't ticking off one of those three things then it doesn't need to be there.
wht kind of preparation shd i be doing before results day??
i did some and looking up on clearing stuff
but im not sure how to be prepared

only doing work makes me less afraid of results coming loll
when will ucas statistics be released? on results day only?

Quick Reply

Latest