The Student Room Group

Official AS & A2 Results Day 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DarkEnergy
If you miss your firm choice offer, can they offer you an alternative course? Or is that only when you're first receiving offers from universities?

I'm pretty sure they can.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you miss your firm choice offer, can they offer you an alternative course? Or is that only when you're first receiving offers from universities?

Original post by theonetruequeen
Was wondering this too.

Yes, this can and does happen.
Original post by Effie14
It was only my third FE game, and whilst I enjoyed its story and it in general, I appreciate that others may not share my opinion. Was there anything about the story that really bugged you?Same here regarding the lack of knowledge of JRPGs in the west, though I have got my friend into Fire Emblem now!

It was a good concept and it was interesting at first,But it got boring really soon.Although I liked conquest's story a bit more,Both were quite similar to each other while not really being similar at the same time(Can't really explain) plus that stupid dance/song in conquest ver. made me cringe.Conquest felt like 'Wait for it... Wait for iiitt!' till the end when you FINALLY get to kill the 'bad' guy.Birthright was just too generic for me.
Original post by Aph
I guess only the major messes get reported?

Yeah, I was told that the increased feeds was a real terms cut, so do you think that the government bill to up fees will help to stabilise even strengthen tolerances?

It might do - what is likely to happen in the next 5 years is for universities to get into financial troubles and get taken over. That's what all the recent bills have been working towards - less protection for universities if income plummets. With 18 year olds decreasing, brexit making the UK less attractive to EU students and a new PM who has overseen some of the harshest cuts to student visas while she was home secretary, the outlook for universities that struggle to recruit is not good.

Yes - that's very common (both your firm and insurance can do this if you miss your offer conditions). You can either accept it or (if it is your firm) decline the new offer within 7 days and you'll be passed to your insurance.
Original post by gp1208
haven't heard anything yet either. and I'm applying for pharmacy

oh cool, probably likely to hear something on the day of results :redface: have you applied for accommodation?

good luck! :smile:
Original post by gp1208
haven't heard anything yet either. and I'm applying for pharmacy

oh cool, probably likely to hear something on the day of results :redface:

My teacher expects the grade boundaries to be fairly high this year as a means of bridging the "difficulty gap" i.e. the performance on the old and new specification (coming into place from 2017).

I have already noticed this trend last year...for an A in French +11, English +9, Psychology +7...
Original post by PQ

Yes - that's very common (both your firm and insurance can do this if you miss your offer conditions). You can either accept it or (if it is your firm) decline the new offer within 7 days and you'll be passed to your insurance.

Is this more common for humanities than STEM subjects? I don't see what they could alternatively offer you if you missed your Physics offer for example.
Can someone tell me what does it mean when something goes clearing???
Original post by patricio_miguel
My teacher expects the grade boundaries to be fairly high this year as a means of bridging the "difficulty gap" i.e. the performance on the old and new specification (coming into place from 2017).

I have already noticed this trend last year...for an A in French +11, English +9, Psychology +7...

Is that for AS or A2? Because I can't imagine A2 going up that much considering it's the last year of that spec.
Reply 4990
Original post by PQ
It might do - what is likely to happen in the next 5 years is for universities to get into financial troubles and get taken over. That's what all the recent bills have been working towards - less protection for universities if income plummets. With 18 year olds decreasing, brexit making the UK less attractive to EU students and a new PM who has overseen some of the harshest cuts to student visas while she was home secretary, the outlook for universities that struggle to recruit is not good.

Are things really that bleak in the university sector? I had no idea. So who,do you expect to be doing the take overs? Other unis so you end up with university chains across the country?
Original post by chemstudent314
oh cool, probably likely to hear something on the day of results :redface: have you applied for accommodation?

yepp ive applied for accommodation, wbu? Good luck to you too! :smile:
Original post by ToastiestZombie
Is that for AS or A2? Because I can't imagine A2 going up that much considering it's the last year of that spec.

Wouldn't AS also be low because it's a new spec

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just received an email from my firm saying they've changed the dates for when I need to pay for Accomodation (until after I receive my loan) does anyone else think this may mean I've got the grades or is it compulsory for them to reply to my initial email even if I didn't get the grades
Original post by GabbytheGreek_48
Wouldn't AS also be low because it's a new spec

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, the new Spec has no bearing on A2 students whilst AS students have a new and unproved Spec. Not sure how it could be higher to be honest.
Original post by gp1208
yepp ive applied for accommodation, wbu? Good luck to you too! :smile:

yeahh what did you put as your first choice? thank you!
Original post by Crozzer24
Just received an email from my firm saying they've changed the dates for when I need to pay for Accomodation (until after I receive my loan) does anyone else think this may mean I've got the grades or is it compulsory for them to reply to my initial email even if I didn't get the grades

I think you're in
Original post by Crozzer24

Usually accommodation departments are independent of the respective subject departments which make decisions, so I doubt they have any information other than you have an offer as results are under embargo.
I don't mind if my track doesn't update, not gonna be able to see the screen through my tears anyway.
Is this more common for humanities than STEM subjects? I don't see what they could alternatively offer you if you missed your Physics offer for example.

In my experience it applies across all subjects (but varies between universities - some are more likely than others).

For Physics the most common alternative is a foundation year option or something like geophysics/medical physics if the applicant has the sort of background where that might appeal....but if an applicant has done well in their 3rd A level (ie not maths or physics) then they might be offered a course along those lines.

Often if it's a big change then a university wont make the offer on Track but will leave the application conditional and speak to the applicant on results day "we can't take you for physics but would you be interested in either our chemistry, geography or environmental science courses?" and then make a changed course offer based on the applicant's preferences (or reject them if that's what they'd prefer).

Original post by Aph
Are things really that bleak in the university sector? I had no idea. So who,do you expect to be doing the take overs? Other unis so you end up with university chains across the country?

https://www.timeshighereducation.com/features/university-financial-health-check-2016
It's very mixed - any university with staff costs taking up more than 60% of income is at enormous risk of financial problems if they under recruit for a year or more.

Add in the private providers who have been growing and growing (and who the latest HE bill is there to help official-ise) and the market is very tight. Failure is likely to take 5+ years (and in the past local universities have always stepped in and taken over failing HE colleges eg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Sainte_Union_College_of_Higher_Education - but then there's also https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wye_College ) so it isn't an immediate issue -but that's definitely the direction things are going. Successful universities are recruiting more and more students, less successful universities are under recruiting more and more each year.

Quick Reply

Latest