The Student Room Group

Manchester University A100 (2017 entry)

Scroll to see replies

anyone else applying to manchester this year what are your stats like?
Does anyone have any insight into how they score graduates applying for medicine during selection? They state that there are certain GCSE and A Level requirements, which I meet, but some schools apply this cutoff and go on to score you depending on how well you did. For example, Leicester would only give me 2 points for my integrated Master's and PhD in biological subjects, but 4 points for a single A* at A Level. Obviously, applying there would be disastrous for me, as I got BBBB at A Level. Nonetheless, I feel I've since proven myself academically and hope some selection procedures agree. Do Manchester score graduate A106 applicants on their A levels and GCSEs after they've exceeded the minimum requirements?
Reply 22
Original post by Chikkinn
Does anyone have any insight into how they score graduates applying for medicine during selection? They state that there are certain GCSE and A Level requirements, which I meet, but some schools apply this cutoff and go on to score you depending on how well you did. For example, Leicester would only give me 2 points for my integrated Master's and PhD in biological subjects, but 4 points for a single A* at A Level. Obviously, applying there would be disastrous for me, as I got BBBB at A Level. Nonetheless, I feel I've since proven myself academically and hope some selection procedures agree. Do Manchester score graduate A106 applicants on their A levels and GCSEs after they've exceeded the minimum requirements?

As far as I'm aware, for 2016 entry anyway, Manchester use academic criteria first and then move on. They don't score you any higher for exceeding the criteria. As long as you meet the cutoff/minimum requirements, you then move on to stage 2 which is the UKCAT score ranking and so on. I don't believe this has changed for 2017 entry but you'd be best calling them to double check.
Original post by JayAhm
As far as I'm aware, for 2016 entry anyway, Manchester use academic criteria first and then move on. They don't score you any higher for exceeding the criteria. As long as you meet the cutoff/minimum requirements, you then move on to stage 2 which is the UKCAT score ranking and so on. I don't believe this has changed for 2017 entry but you'd be best calling them to double check.

Thank you! I'll double check as you suggest. If you're right, I'll definitely be applying this year.
Wag1
GCSEs: 7As 3Bs
UKCAT: 2380 Band 1
AS: BBBB
Predictions: AAA
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 25
Original post by manlike99
Wag1
GCSEs: 7As 3Bs
UKCAT: 2380 Band 1
AS: Idk yet
Predictions: Idk yet

Wow. Well done on an amazing UKCAT. So far everything looks good for Manchester. Good luck.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mliela
Wow. Well done on an amazing UKCAT. So far everything looks good for Manchester. Good luck.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks a lot :smile: are you applying this year too?
Reply 27
Thanks a lot :smile: are you applying this year too?

I applied last year. 2016 entry.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mliela
I applied last year. 2016 entry.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I take it you got an offer :smile: If you did then congrats! I hope you've got the grades you need
Reply 29
I take it you got an offer :smile: If you did then congrats! I hope you've got the grades you need

Yeah I did. I really hope so too thank you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
GCSE: 4A* 5A and 3B
UKCAT: 2000 (667 Average) Band 2 SJT
AS Levels: AAAB (biology, physics, chemistry, maths respectively)
Predicted: A*AA (biology, chemistry, maths)

Do you think Manchester will be an ok choice for me?
Reply 31
Original post by jacobcc7
GCSE: 4A* 5A and 3B
UKCAT: 2000 (667 Average) Band 2 SJT
AS Levels: AAAB (biology, physics, chemistry, maths respectively)
Predicted: A*AA (biology, chemistry, maths)

Do you think Manchester will be an ok choice for me?

Well done on excellent grades. However your UKCAT seems a bit risky. Last years cutoff was around 665 and we can't guess whether the cutoff will be higher or lower.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mliela
Well done on excellent grades. However your UKCAT seems a bit risky. Last years cutoff was around 665 and we can't guess whether the cutoff will be higher or lower.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Did you get the grades you needed?
Reply 33
Did you get the grades you needed?

Yep

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well done!!
Reply 35
Well done!!

Thank you ☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 36
GCSE: 6A* 4A 1B
AS: AA (Maths and Further Maths)
A2 predictions: A*A*A* (Biology, Chemistry and Maths)
UKCAT: 2310 (770 average)

Do manchester have a scoring system? If so, could anybody send me a link to it or something...
Reply 37
Original post by mb2016
GCSE: 6A* 4A 1B
AS: AA (Maths and Further Maths)
A2 predictions: A*A*A* (Biology, Chemistry and Maths)
UKCAT: 2310 (770 average)

Do manchester have a scoring system? If so, could anybody send me a link to it or something...

No scoring system. Your grades and UKCAT are enough to pass you through the first two stages of the application process (Academic and UKCAT cut off).

As long as you fill out the Non-Academic Information form with what they're looking for, which you'll have to do after you've applied to them, you shouldn't have a problem! Then you just need to smash the interview :smile:
Reply 38
Original post by JayAhm
No scoring system. Your grades and UKCAT are enough to pass you through the first two stages of the application process (Academic and UKCAT cut off).

As long as you fill out the Non-Academic Information form with what they're looking for, which you'll have to do after you've applied to them, you shouldn't have a problem! Then you just need to smash the interview :smile:

Thanks
What are my chances with 680 average in ukcat and a*aa predictions

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest