The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

Hey everyone! I just did the ukcat, I'm pleased with quantitative reasoning and abstract reasoning but verbal reasoning really lowered my average...
Verbal reasoning: 570
Quantitative reasoning: 790
Abstract reasoning: 700
Situational judgement: Band 3
Average: 686

If anyone needs any tips for QR I'm more than happy to help :h:

By the way, are there any Uni's I should avoid? Because of my SJT and VR in particular? I'm really disappointed with my SJT in particular since I didn't get anything lower than band 2 in all the mocks I've previously done.
Original post by Pra99
Isnt Medify meant to be easier than the actual exam, though?

QR is supposed to be much easier than Medify, AR is supposed to be about the same and VR is supposed to be much harder.
Original post by Medici103
Are you applying as an undergraduate or a graduate?

Undergrad
My other stats are 9A* 1A and GCSE and predicted AAAA at AS (results day on Thursday)
Original post by nataliek98
Where would you guys suggest applying with a UKCAT of 723 band 3 and achieved 42 IB points? I'm an international applicant.

I'd definitely go for Manchester and Newcastle with that score :smile:
Original post by TianaEsther
Hey everyone! I just did the ukcat, I'm pleased with quantitative reasoning and abstract reasoning but verbal reasoning really lowered my average...
Verbal reasoning: 570
Quantitative reasoning: 790
Abstract reasoning: 700
Situational judgement: Band 3
Average: 686

If anyone needs any tips for QR I'm more than happy to help :h:

By the way, are there any Uni's I should avoid? Because of my SJT and VR in particular? I'm really disappointed with my SJT in particular since I didn't get anything lower than band 2 in all the mocks I've previously done.

Congrats! That's a great score! I think Plymouth have a cut off for every section, but apart front that I don't think anywhere else does. Some unis will give scores for bands- I think East Anglia is one of them, not too sure about any others.
How did you find it? Did you use any keyboard shortcuts they advised to use on medify in your exam?
Original post by thatcooldude2.0
Congrats! That's a great score! I think Plymouth have a cut off for every section, but apart front that I don't think anywhere else does. Some unis will give scores for bands- I think East Anglia is one of them, not too sure about any others.
How did you find it? Did you use any keyboard shortcuts they advised to use on medify in your exam?

Thank you so much that's really helpful, my parents are a bit apprehensive about my application so I started getting a bit worried too.

On the ukcat website I didn't know how to erase the calculator, but during decision making I found out that you can just use the backspace to delete everything! Also, C is equivalent to the MRC button, M is for M- and P is for P+. I didn't actually use them but they may be useful for someone else. I also found alt + f for flagging and alt + n to be amazing because they saved so much time.
Thank you so much that's really helpful, my parents are a bit apprehensive about my application so I started getting a bit worried too.

On the ukcat website I didn't know how to erase the calculator, but during decision making I found out that you can just use the backspace to delete everything! Also, C is equivalent to the MRC button, M is for M- and P is for P+. I didn't actually use them but they may be useful for someone else. I also found alt + f for flagging and alt + n to be amazing because they saved so much time.

Is there a delete button which lets you delete like 1 digit if you type it wrong to save you having to start over??

I know what you mean :smile: Are you planning to apply for Manchester btw? You would easily pass the ukcat cut off with your score. Thanks, I'm not really sure what the MRC button is used for but I do plan to use alt+n and alt+f too:smile:
Reply 2248
How do you convert raw marks to a score?
Original post by julesaquilina
Is there a delete button which lets you delete like 1 digit if you type it wrong to save you having to start over??

Unfortunately I couldn't figure that one out, it would've been super useful because I kept making so many errors on the number pad which took up a good 30 seconds of my time.

I know what you mean :smile: Are you planning to apply for Manchester btw? You would easily pass the ukcat cut off with your score. Thanks, I'm not really sure what the MRC button is used for but I do plan to use alt+n and alt+f too:smile:

I was looking at Southampton so I might apply there, my GCSEs weren't that great, 6a's & 4b's, so I'm trying to avoid GCSE heavy Uni's. I'm not sure how much Manchester look at them but I'll definitely look into it so thanks!
And I think the MRC button memorises a specific number but tbh I've never needed it, I find it much easier to write in the booklet they provided.

I was looking at Southampton so I might apply there, my GCSEs weren't that great, 6a's & 4b's, so I'm trying to avoid GCSE heavy Uni's. I'm not sure how much Manchester look at them but I'll definitely look into it so thanks!
And I think the MRC button memorises a specific number but tbh I've never needed it, I find it much easier to write in the booklet they provided.

It was nice of them to provide a booklet for you. Last year my test centre gave me a laminated piece of A4 paper and a pen which I couldn't rub off lol
Original post by SGHD26716
How do you convert raw marks to a score?

You can use this document :smile:
It was nice of them to provide a booklet for you. Last year my test centre gave me a laminated piece of A4 paper and a pen which I couldn't rub off lol

Oh okay, were you able to ask for more paper? The booklet had around 6 pages and it was erasable (kind of hard to erase it though) and if we needed more we could ask for it.
Oh okay, were you able to ask for more paper? The booklet had around 6 pages and it was erasable (kind of hard to erase it though) and if we needed more we could ask for it.

I didn't ask as I didn't want to waste time, I'll ask before I start the test this year though:smile:
I didn't ask as I didn't want to waste time, I'll ask before I start the test this year though:smile:

That's a good idea, good luck! :biggrin:
That's a good idea, good luck! :biggrin:

Thanks! :smile:
Hi does anyone have any medify subscription left that they wanna let me use. :wink: DM me. Thanks :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by clairebear101
Are all the passages and quaetions impossible to get your head around like the 1000Q book ones?

I only have the 600Q book so I cannot compare, but as far as I heard ISC book tends to be more complicated than the real thing in order for you to hone your strategy and practice on complex texts. Of course, not all the questions are hard, but there are some that I think are almost impossible to answer in the time given and probably worth skipping.

At first, it might seem that the passages are longer than those in official practice questions but imo they are similar, the font is a tad bigger and the lines are not so wide. It it scared me a bit that I had to scroll sometimes because the passage was long but I think it's really due to different arrangement than in the official mocks :smile:
Original post by garlicbread23
Hi does anyone have any medify subscription left that they wanna let me use. :wink: DM me. Thanks :smile:

I'll sell you my account? It's got over 2 weeks left in it.
How similar are the kaplan mocks to the real thing??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending