The Student Room Group
Group Work, University of Portsmouth
University of Portsmouth
Portsmouth

Current student willing to answer questions

Hey! I'm a student here who just finished my first year (BSc Economics) and I'm willing to answer any questions! I stayed in Bateson Halls :smile:

Scroll to see replies

On results day for your a-levels, how was your accommodation confirmed? Did you have to re-apply? Or just wait for them to contact you? Also how much money do you think I should bring for fresher's week?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Group Work, University of Portsmouth
University of Portsmouth
Portsmouth
Original post by alexpiper16
Hey! I'm a student here who just finished my first year (BSc Economics) and I'm willing to answer any questions! I stayed in Bateson Halls :smile:

What do you learn about in economics and how much maths do you have to use from A-Level?
Reply 3
Original post by _Lauren_98
On results day for your a-levels, how was your accommodation confirmed? Did you have to re-apply? Or just wait for them to contact you? Also how much money do you think I should bring for fresher's week?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I had an unconditional offer so I think mine worked differently to the norm - I had to confirm my place by paying £250 advanced rent in August. Also, the halls system is different this year - Unite Students have taken over some of the halls buildings and are handling the halls, whereas all of the 2015/2016 intake was handled directly by the university :/

However, no one had to reapply at all :smile: I believe it's automatically confirmed when you get your grades, but you may have to pay some deposit/rent to properly confirm your place.

As for the money: You might be lucky enough to get your parents to do your first food shop for you :wink: If you can, do it! I had to do it myself. I would recommend going to the sainburys, tesco or ASDA superstores as they have way more actual food! If you've bought a freshers pack then your entry fees are already covered, and you just need to pay for drinks on the night (but buy your own pre drinks, it'll save you money). -> If you can do all this then the only thing you need to buy is stationary, possibly core textbooks and perhaps taxi fare up if you're in Langstone.

Without books, maybe £15 absolute maximum for stationary (but wilkos is very good value) and then £5/£10 per taxi ride! (and then a £10 investment for spirit pre drinks haha)
Reply 4
I didn't do maths A Level and first year is spent getting everyone up to A Level standard. If you chose statistics then you'll find some of it a breeze! 1 unit and one third of a unit is purely maths/stats based. The rest of the units incorporate an easier version of this maths into their units.

Check the course website in case your units are different, but we had units on Macroeconomics and Microeconomics (a.k.a just a level content), real-life economics (so Greece, economics in sports, financial scandals), basic accounting for businesses, the mathematical and statistical side of economics and finally we learnt how to use excel, job analysis, CV writing etc :smile:
I had an unconditional offer so I think mine worked differently to the norm - I had to confirm my place by paying £250 advanced rent in August. Also, the halls system is different this year - Unite Students have taken over some of the halls buildings and are handling the halls, whereas all of the 2015/2016 intake was handled directly by the university :/

However, no one had to reapply at all :smile: I believe it's automatically confirmed when you get your grades, but you may have to pay some deposit/rent to properly confirm your place.

As for the money: You might be lucky enough to get your parents to do your first food shop for you :wink: If you can, do it! I had to do it myself. I would recommend going to the sainburys, tesco or ASDA superstores as they have way more actual food! If you've bought a freshers pack then your entry fees are already covered, and you just need to pay for drinks on the night (but buy your own pre drinks, it'll save you money). -> If you can do all this then the only thing you need to buy is stationary, possibly core textbooks and perhaps taxi fare up if you're in Langstone.

Without books, maybe £15 absolute maximum for stationary (but wilkos is very good value) and then £5/£10 per taxi ride! (and then a £10 investment for spirit pre drinks haha)

Thank you! I haven't bought a fresher's pack though... Do I need one? And thanks buy hopefully I'll be in Winchester!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I feel ignorant here, but what's a "fresher's pack"?
Reply 7
Thank you! I haven't bought a fresher's pack though... Do I need one? And thanks buy hopefully I'll be in Winchester!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nope! You definitely don't need one. I didn't have one last year - I just bought a ticket to Big Night Out (it's in the freshers pack, and it's across 8(?) different venues and includes a Foam Party and a Paint Party) and a ticket to Moving in Party. :smile: I had tons of fun honestly!

Hope you get into Winchester :smile:
ah that sounds great! It wasn't too expensive then or did you find a job easily? Thank you!! :smile:
I didn't do maths A Level and first year is spent getting everyone up to A Level standard. If you chose statistics then you'll find some of it a breeze! 1 unit and one third of a unit is purely maths/stats based. The rest of the units incorporate an easier version of this maths into their units.

Check the course website in case your units are different, but we had units on Macroeconomics and Microeconomics (a.k.a just a level content), real-life economics (so Greece, economics in sports, financial scandals), basic accounting for businesses, the mathematical and statistical side of economics and finally we learnt how to use excel, job analysis, CV writing etc :smile:

Did you find the mathematical jump easy or difficult? As I'd imagine a lot of the content would be new to you

Do you write a lot of essays or is it more of a science where you solve problems and do calculations?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi Lauren! Hannah from the Housing Team here. If you've already been offered accommodation in halls and paid your deposit, the accommodation is secured :redface:)
Original post by Elastichedgehog
I feel ignorant here, but what's a "fresher's pack"?

Sorry - I have no notifications turned on, you've probably already found the answer by now!
The Freshers Pack is a packages of official event tickets for the first two weeks of uni. Events being nights out and the Freshers Ball, NOT events like fresher's fayre (that's free!)

Buying the pack is cheaper than buying all the event tickets individually and it's the ONLY way to get a ticket to the freshers ball.

https://www.tickettailor.com/checkout/view-event/id/59134/chk/4f3a You can use that link (I am aware how dodgy that looks - either go on the student union website (upsu.net) or the organisers website (Eskimo 11) to buy the pack or any other official event tickets :smile:
ah that sounds great! It wasn't too expensive then or did you find a job easily? Thank you!! :smile:

It wasn't too expensive, but I was living in the cheapest accommodation (Bateson Halls). I have friends who found jobs and I have an interview for one coming up :smile: Hope your results went okay!
Original post by AngryRedhead
Did you find the mathematical jump easy or difficult? As I'd imagine a lot of the content would be new to you

Do you write a lot of essays or is it more of a science where you solve problems and do calculations?

If you have maths A Level then the jump for you will be gradual, but the course is designed so that maths A Level isn't essential and gets everyone up to the same standard.

Mix and match - no essay questions in seminars, just short answer questions and calculations. There was no formal essay structure for the exams (apart from one) but the course featured both calculations and (some) essays
Original post by AngryRedhead

If you have maths A Level then the jump for you will be gradual, but the course is designed so that maths A Level isn't essential and gets everyone up to the same standard.

Mix and match - no essay questions in seminars, just short answer questions and calculations. There was no formal essay structure for the exams (apart from one) but the coursework featured both calculations and (some) essays
Hello 😊
I'm planning to begin my studies at Portsmouth in a few weeks and I'm really excited for a change of scenery! But I was just curious on whether or not the university is ethnically diverse? I'm not racist if anything preferring diversity is the opposite looool. Anyways Im a Muslim Somali girl who has lives in London which is really ethnically diverse, I just don't want to feel isolated in a place where I feel as though I stick out like a sore thumb 😭. I would appriciate a response 😊
Original post by Aqdaahmed
Hello 😊
I'm planning to begin my studies at Portsmouth in a few weeks and I'm really excited for a change of scenery! But I was just curious on whether or not the university is ethnically diverse? I'm not racist if anything preferring diversity is the opposite looool. Anyways Im a Muslim Somali girl who has lives in London which is really ethnically diverse, I just don't want to feel isolated in a place where I feel as though I stick out like a sore thumb 😭. I would appriciate a response 😊

Hello, Christine from the Information Centre here. There are many people of
different ethnicities in the city and we have almost 4000 international and EU students from over 120 different countries attending the university. I hope this helps to
reassure you. Best wishes

Hi, did you get your timetable before you started university?

I have my timetable for the first induction week but not for the rest of the year.

How long before you start do you get it?

Thanks
Hello, Christine from the Information Centre here, New starters will get their main timetables from Monday 19th. You should get a copy from your department and you will also be able to access it through your MyPort account. Best wishes
I have a couple of small questions :biggrin:1. How did you find economics, was it interesting or what you were expecting? I'm off to do the exact same course as you and was wondering if you liked it and what the modules (Micro and Macro) actually included. You mentioned that it was basically A-level content but what kind of content (I did A-level)?

2. If so, any tips for me starting? What books were 100% required for the course (or the ones you used the most) and do you have any tips for someone started to try and create some positive habits!Thanks for the thread!
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending