The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Should abortions be free?

In 2015, 98% of abortions were funded by the NHS. 38% of them were to women who had already had one or more abortions. Repeat abortions costs £1m a week.

Just 2% were carried out under the grounds that the child would be seriously handicapped.

It is estimated that each abortion costs £680. This figure rises if terminations occur in the 2nd trimester.

http://www.nhs.uk/news/2012/05may/Pages/repeat-abortion-termination-statistics.aspx

Should the taxpayer continue to fund other people's mistakes?
Are women using abortion as a contraceptive? Should there be tighter restrictions?

Scroll to see replies

no
hell no
You don't know the reason for the abortion. It would cost far more to put the child into care, etc.
I don't see why the already pressurised NHS should have to pay for people being too stupid to buy a condom
So, if someone finds out part way through their pregancy that they're going to have a seriously disabled baby, they should be penalised for that?
Contraception - multiple types at the same time, even - can be used yet pregnancy can still occur; it's not just people being lazy. Even then, people can make mistakes; how would, say, a student be able to afford an abortion or raise a child?

And what about cases of rape? You could say abortions could be free when there's a convicted rapist, but not all sexual assault is reported, not everything leads to a conviction, and a trial could run on long enough that an abortion wouldn't be viable, and only the richest (who, incidentally, would be the most financially equipped to raise a child) would be able to afford the abortion.

If the NHS is strained, it needs more funding. The solution isn't to harm both the victims of sexual assault and anyone who isn't rich enough to afford an abortion.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Tiger Rag
So, if someone finds out part way through their pregancy that they're going to have a seriously disabled baby, they should be penalised for that?

Seriously disabled individuals can be brought up to live happy, healthy and normal lives. It's not just a case of 'oh no, my child has got downs syndrome their lives are hopeless.'

Original post by doctorwhofan98
Contraception - multiple types at the same time, even - can be used yet pregnancy can still occur; it's not just people being lazy. Even then, people can make mistakes; how would, say, a student be able to afford an abortion or raise a child?

And what about cases of rape? You could say abortions could be free when there's a convicted rapist, but not all sexual assault is reported, not everything leads to a conviction, and a trial could run on long enough that an abortion wouldn't be viable, and only the richest (who, incidentally, would be the most financially equipped to raise a trial) would be able to afford the abortion.

It's very very unlikely though isn't it? Let's be real here, the vast majority of pregnancies occur because people are too drunk or stupid to think about the consequences and they can't be bothered getting contraception because they know the NHS will pick up the slack. If people were financially responsible for their own abortions there would be a lot less irresponsibility because people would know they would have to pay upwards of £700. It's an expensive mistake and my guess is that abortion rates would go down dramatically because people would be more careful
Nothing should be free.
What about the impact on the parents and the other siblings? There are also diseases where the baby only lives for a few weeks or so. Is it really fair to force someone to give birth, only for their baby to die weeks later?
I think people having to pay for abortions will make people more careful but I feel like there are more cases with an actual reason (contraception not working, rape, disabled baby etc) as opposed to "forgot to use contraception".
No.
What about the impact on the parents and the other siblings? There are also diseases where the baby only lives for a few weeks or so. Is it really fair to force someone to give birth, only for their baby to die weeks later?

Those kinds of diseases are quite rare and doctors aren't always right 100% of the time anyway, I just don't see why the taxpayer should fund private contraception decisions, it isn't fair on everyone who isn't daft sexually. It's like the current situation where people get treatment on the NHS for being fat or smoking. It shouldn't be allowed, people should take more personal responsibility for themselves.
Yes, people should be more careful - I'm not a fan of abortions effectively being used as contraception itself. But think about the student example - let's say they're drunk and the condom breaks, because they're not being too careful. Pretty much every student gets drunk, and pretty much every student has sex, so it's not an unlikely scenario, even if they attempt to be careful. Because abortions aren't free, the students either go into debt and risk ruining their futures, or decide to raise the child. More likely than not, that child would have a miserable life, potentially being put up for adoption and living in foster homes for its entire childhood. If abortion was free, that wouldn't be an issue; everyone, including the kid, would be ultimately better off, and it would be cheaper for the government, as state money wouldn't have to be spent on raising the child (which would obviously be way more than £700!).

You didn't even respond to the rape aspect of the dilemma. Sexual assaults happen, and pregnancy is generally the result of it. Would you effectively force the victim to have the child, because she simply couldn't afford the fee? £700 is a ridiculously large amount of money for a lot of people; if the victim paid it, that could be their entire savings - and their next few rent payments - gone. Why should the victim (and the victim's child) suffer because of the actions of the attacker?

Ultimately, making abortions cost money = less abortions = more kids ending up in state care = significantly more money being spent by the government. Money is your main argument, it seems, and it's ultimately cheaper to keep abortions taxpayer-funded. If you want to reduce abortions, do it with more sexual education; teach them about consent, safe sex, contraceptives, what the police can do, everything. That, and pretty much that alone, will get people to use contraceptives.
It's nothing to do with being daft. Not everyone who needs an abortion does so because they forgot to use contraception.
Original post by bluemadhatter
I think people having to pay for abortions will make people more careful but I feel like there are more cases with an actual reason (contraception not working, rape, disabled baby etc) as opposed to "forgot to use contraception".

Yes, or "I didn't use it because I like to tease" etc...

Spoiler

Original post by doctorwhofan98
Yes, people should be more careful - I'm not a fan of abortions effectively being used as contraception itself. But think about the student example - let's say they're drunk and the condom breaks, because they're not being too careful. Pretty much every student gets drunk, and pretty much every student has sex, so it's not an unlikely scenario, even if they attempt to be careful. Because abortions aren't free, the students either go into debt and risk ruining their futures, or decide to raise the child. More likely than not, that child would have a miserable life, potentially being put up for adoption and living in foster homes for its entire childhood. If abortion was free, that wouldn't be an issue; everyone, including the kid, would be ultimately better off, and it would be cheaper for the government, as state money wouldn't have to be spent on raising the child (which would obviously be way more than £700!).

You didn't even respond to the rape aspect of the dilemma. Sexual assaults happen, and pregnancy is generally the result of it. Would you effectively force the victim to have the child, because she simply couldn't afford the fee? £700 is a ridiculously large amount of money for a lot of people; if the victim paid it, that could be their entire savings - and their next few rent payments - gone. Why should the victim (and the victim's child) suffer because of the actions of the attacker?

Ultimately, making abortions cost money = less abortions = more kids ending up in state care = significantly more money being spent by the government. Money is your main argument, it seems, and it's ultimately cheaper to keep abortions taxpayer-funded. If you want to reduce abortions, do it with more sexual education; teach them about consent, safe sex, contraceptives, what the police can do, everything. That, and pretty much that alone, will get people to use contraceptives.

Disregarding the whole ethical side of abortion for now, I think that yes, in the cases of incest, rape and extreme disability or if the mothers life is in danger by the fetus yes abortion should be free as long as there is sufficient medical and legal evidence that the above situations have happened. If contraception fails the abortion should be free as long as the relevant physical evidence can be supplied.

If a student is out drinking and is stupid enough to engage in sex without protection or is not intelligent enough to know how to use a condom correctly I fail to see why the taxpayer should be penalised for one persons stupidity. Would you as a private individual be happy with being obliged to pay for someone else's abortion when you haven't done anything wrong? Probably not
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
Yes, or "I didn't use it because I like to tease" etc...

Spoiler

omfg whilst we are on this topic, get on whatsapp i need to tell u something :cry2: :afraid: :getmecoat:
Original post by bluemadhatter
omfg whilst we are on this topic, get on whatsapp i need to tell u something :cry2: :afraid: :getmecoat:

I wonder if I actually want to know this....:colonhash:
Yes. And I have no problem with my tax money going towards that.

You don't know what is going on in someone's personal life that leads them to make the decision to have an abortion.
It's nothing to do with being daft. Not everyone who needs an abortion does so because they forgot to use contraception.

The statistics support my statement, not yours, I'm afraid

Only 7.1% of abortions happen due to valid reasons (i.e: rape, fetal and maternal health concerns)

The rest is people being stupid

Latest

Trending

Trending