The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine 2017

Scroll to see replies

Hello! Great thread :smile: I graduated in Psychology and I'll be applying for 2018 entry. Does anyone know how the UCAS form for Graduate Entry Medicine is like? Do we have to have a personal statement and if so does this affect our chance of having an interview? As much information on the UCAS process would be a great help for me! xxx
Original post by SaminaD
Hello! Great thread :smile: I graduated in Psychology and I'll be applying for 2018 entry. Does anyone know how the UCAS form for Graduate Entry Medicine is like? Do we have to have a personal statement and if so does this affect our chance of having an interview? As much information on the UCAS process would be a great help for me! xxx

Hey! Yeah you have to fill out UCAS like any other undergraduate applicant. This includes personal statement and reference etc.
That's exactly how I feel. My parents, their siblings and all their partners are doctors and every single one has told me don't do it - ignore! However, the GAMSAT may stop me...How's everyone else's prep going for it? As an Arts grad, i'm finding it tough!
Reply 1103
Original post by Quilverine
Yeah, Warwick, Swansea, SGUL, Nottingham and Newcastle are still options and if you get a good UKCAT/GAMSAT score it will just be down to how well you interview.

Do an A Level in Chemistry if you also want a shot at Barts, Southampton and Cambridge.

Can you do A Level distance learning at all?
And great - was also thinking about Scottish uni's, Glasgow/Dundee/Aberdeen/Edinburgh - how are those?

edit: thanks for the info its really helpful!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1104
Hi saward1988 I'm not an Arts Graduate and I'm also struggling :frown:
I've got 21 days till my ukcat... I'm extremely worried as I haven't started any revision or done any practice :frown: have I left it to late? Is this enough time to prepare and achieve an average of 700+? Everthing is totally dependent on the ukcat and there just seems so much pressure 😭😭😭
Original post by ellen111
I've got 21 days till my ukcat... I'm extremely worried as I haven't started any revision or done any practice :frown: have I left it to late? Is this enough time to prepare and achieve an average of 700+? Everthing is totally dependent on the ukcat and there just seems so much pressure 😭😭😭

Yes, you have time. Try not to waste the time by panicking that you don't have time! 🙂 Have a look at the practice papers, get a medify subscription, generally familiarise yourself with the format. Brush up on doing KS4 maths, and try to find a way to tackle verbal reasoning that works for you.

Above all, relax. Or try to. I know it's easier said than done. Good luck!
Original post by CGSW
Can you do A Level distance learning at all?
And great - was also thinking about Scottish uni's, Glasgow/Dundee/Aberdeen/Edinburgh - how are those?

edit: thanks for the info its really helpful!

If you distance learn Chemistry you will have to do the labs at an allocated time and place over a week I think, same with sitting the exams but the lessons can all be done online. It could be worth looking at evening classes at your local higher education college though, it's so helpful being on a lab and having an actual real person to talk things over with as well as having classmates to gauge your progress by.

Haven't got a clue about Scotland, Newcastle was the furthest I looked.
That is fine - don't panic. I did 2-3 hours a day for 2 weeks just busting out question after question. I bought ISC 1000Qs, and the Kaplan book. Both were super useful. Also - don't panic if you do badly on the UKCAT mocks - the real thing was MUCH easier (with the slight exception of VR, as I found that the passages were longer in the real thing). I was getting in the 500s for AR in their mocks - I was so majorly stressed! The Kaplan online mock is a pretty good representation I found.

On GAMSAT - I haven't even looked at the first 2 sections because I'm getting owned so hard by physics :frown:

Original post by Medici103
Yes, you have time. Try not to waste the time by panicking that you don't have time! 🙂 Have a look at the practice papers, get a medify subscription, generally familiarise yourself with the format. Brush up on doing KS4 maths, and try to find a way to tackle verbal reasoning that works for you.

Above all, relax. Or try to. I know it's easier said than done. Good luck!
Original post by saward1988

On GAMSAT - I haven't even looked at the first 2 sections because I'm getting owned so hard by physics :frown:

There are barely 20 questions of physics in the GAMSAT and it's fairly straightforward stuff. The chemistry and biology should be your main focus and if you are a science grad then chances are S3 isn't going to be the major hurdle. You can get an awesome S3 score even without answering the physics ones well but you still need to meet the cutoffs in S1 and S2. Practice some handwritten reflective essays, until you can produce two coherent pieces in an hour. It's really hard after years of typing.
Reply 1110
Thank you Quilverine I haven't graduated yet going into my final year of a science degree. Have done one of the practice papers but didn't do well. Suppose I've got 4 weeks to do as much as I can. Having ago at the UKCAT as well.
If I have to take a year out and redo them I will :smile:
I also think up to press I have been concentrating on the humanities section knowing I would struggle with that section so think I need to start doing more of all the sections :smile:

Would you suggest not bothering too much with physics and just concentrate mainly on chemistry and biology?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ssjt
Thank you Quilverine I haven't graduated yet going into my final year of a science degree. Have done one of the practice papers but didn't do well. Suppose I've got 4 weeks to do as much as I can. Having ago at the UKCAT as well.
If I have to take a year out and redo them I will :smile:
I also think up to press I have been concentrating on the humanities section knowing I would struggle with that section so think I need to start doing more of all the sections :smile:

Would you suggest not bothering too much with physics and just concentrate mainly on chemistry and biology?

The paper is 40 : 40 : 20 to chemistry, biology and physics. Spread your time sensibly, don't go into the exam stressed and burnt out. There is also an opportunity to sit the Irish GAMSAT in London in March if September is a dud. I absolutely bombed S3 because I didn't know chemistry, my biology was weak and there just weren't enough questions on EMR or Optics to get me over 45 :-/ Shame because I had great scores for 1 and 2.

Good luck with your final year, enjoy your dissertation and the lovely long summer you'll get afterwards.
Original post by jessicac316
Hey! Yeah you have to fill out UCAS like any other undergraduate applicant. This includes personal statement and reference etc.

Hi Jessica, thanks for replying. It's a great help! also, i wanted to know, if your personal statement and references are crap does that mean that they will reject you even if you did well in GAMSAT? I mean, not that my personal statement or references are crap lol. Just wondering if they ''mark'' personal statement and references?
Original post by SaminaD
Hi Jessica, thanks for replying. It's a great help! also, i wanted to know, if your personal statement and references are crap does that mean that they will reject you even if you did well in GAMSAT? I mean, not that my personal statement or references are crap lol. Just wondering if they ''mark'' personal statement and references?

Hey no worries I'm in the same boat :smile:
I went to several open days and it seems like they look at the whole package. Some unis will not consider your application if you don't meet a certain cutoff mark for the BMAT/UKCAT (not sure about GAMSAT) but as long as that's through, I think your personal statement and references will only add on. Really depends on the university. I did see on UCAS that there are some people who can't get a reference in and that's okay for them (email UCAS if you want to know more, I'm not too sure).

Good luck!!
Original post by jessicac316
Hey no worries I'm in the same boat :smile:
I went to several open days and it seems like they look at the whole package. Some unis will not consider your application if you don't meet a certain cutoff mark for the BMAT/UKCAT (not sure about GAMSAT) but as long as that's through, I think your personal statement and references will only add on. Really depends on the university. I did see on UCAS that there are some people who can't get a reference in and that's okay for them (email UCAS if you want to know more, I'm not too sure).

Good luck!!

Thanks dear! I'll do a bit of emailing and see :smile:
Just did a mock test on the UKCAT website and the calculator disappeared and I couldn't find it. I minimised the main screen, hoping it was hidden under somewhere, but it wasn't. Does this happen on the actual test? On medify the calculator comes back up again when click on calculator.*

Thanks*
Original post by 123ash
Just did a mock test on the UKCAT website and the calculator disappeared and I couldn't find it. I minimised the main screen, hoping it was hidden under somewhere, but it wasn't. Does this happen on the actual test? On medify the calculator comes back up again when click on calculator.*

Thanks*

That happened to me too on the practice tests. It doesn't happen on the actual test. Can't recall if it disappears or stays on screen but regardless you can summon it back
Reply 1117
Sat my UKCAT today and performed awful. UKCAT unis are out of the question :-(. I have neglected my GAMSAT revision in favour of getting a high UKCAT score, which seemed likely, until today. Now I am so disheartened I cannot see how I am going to score high enough on the GAMSAT next month :-/. For S2, what are your best resources?????
Original post by tw781
Sat my UKCAT today and performed awful. UKCAT unis are out of the question :-(. I have neglected my GAMSAT revision in favour of getting a high UKCAT score, which seemed likely, until today. Now I am so disheartened I cannot see how I am going to score high enough on the GAMSAT next month :-/. For S2, what are your best resources?????

I am very sorry to hear that :frown:

I have been revising predominantly for the UKCAT and like you I have neglected the GAMSAT totally. I am going to be revising for both at the same time. Mornings solely on the UKCAT and evenings on the GAMSAT(sad life for the next month). But I am worried that 1 month may not be enough :frown:
Original post by Medici103
That happened to me too on the practice tests. It doesn't happen on the actual test. Can't recall if it disappears or stays on screen but regardless you can summon it back

Thats good, because it totally vanished on the practice test. So long i can get it back on the real one. Not long left now*:eek::eek:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending