The Student Room Group

IB or A-Levels?

The nearest IB school is almost an hour away by train.
However,I do like what the IB diploma has to offer.
A Level choices: A2: Biology,English Literature and History. AS:Chemistry
IB choices: HL: Biology/Literature/History. SL: French/Mathematical Studies/Chemistry
Reply 1
If you're planning on taking the IB, bear in mind that it can be quite a demanding course as you also have to do lots of extra curriculars as part as the CAS programme, and you'll have to do an extended essay and coursework for most or all of the subjects you take. Remember that doing 6 subjects can be pretty hard to juggle, even if some of them are at standard level. Some advice from my IB friends is that if you take IB, you should be organised. You'll probably be doing a lot of work. However, if you are very passionate about the breadth and content of the IB course, perhaps you should take it. Sixth form is hard work whatever you choose

It's probably a good idea to look at the syllabus of both qualifications in a little bit more detail and perhaps talk to some more people who have done IB.

Also, do you know what you're planning to do in the future? What sort of subjects you might be studying at university?
Original post by loletta
If you're planning on taking the IB, bear in mind that it can be quite a demanding course as you also have to do lots of extra curriculars as part as the CAS programme, and you'll have to do an extended essay and coursework for most or all of the subjects you take. Remember that doing 6 subjects can be pretty hard to juggle, even if some of them are at standard level. Some advice from my IB friends is that if you take IB, you should be organised. You'll probably be doing a lot of work. However, if you are very passionate about the breadth and content of the IB course, perhaps you should take it. Sixth form is hard work whatever you choose

It's probably a good idea to look at the syllabus of both qualifications in a little bit more detail and perhaps talk to some more people who have done IB.

Also, do you know what you're planning to do in the future? What sort of subjects you might be studying at university?

I would love to study English at Oxford or Cambridge and then,perhaps,submerge myself in a career in fashion journalism and in my later years...a writer in various forms of literature..poetry..novels.

Quick Reply

Latest