The Student Room Group

Does gaming have no room in your life anymore?

I wanted to make this thread for the people who no longer have time for video games due to adult life/other priorities and commitments.

It's been a year now since I quit playing and I really miss it tbh.
I decided to stop using my ps4 as I was going into my final year at uni and didn't want to f.u.c.k it up.
Now that I'm studying further and trying to get a grad job at the same time, Gaming is something I cannot bring back into my life as I don't have the time. Besides, I feel "too old" to do so, like I'd be too judged by all of my family for it.

It sucks because I recently found out that the Bioshock series is coming to PS4, which I absolutely adore, but currently my ps4 is at my brother's flat because he knew I wasn't using it anymore n he wanted to play GTA, though I feel like he will end up trying to sell it on my behalf soon (he did this with the PS3).

I grew up playing video games and played almost daily during the PS3 years and so it's really dear to me. Throughout my final year at uni I didn't really care or struggle to let go because for once it wasn't getting in the way of my education. it felt good to have it out of my life, but right now I'm just so nostalgic.

Does anyone else feel this way?

I don't intend to drop gaming forever, but for now I feel too guilty to be playing games until I've achieved more with my life.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

there are people who have zero social life because of the video game mummy bought for them
Reply 2
I find that this especially impacts story modes/campaigns. I have so many games that I haven't even started yet. :frown:
Yeah, I have had to give up gaming and Anime for my studies, but in the holidays I pick them up again. They are m interest and they make me, well me. I don't want to give up on that I will just prioritise for that moment in time.
I use Anime and Gaming as a distress tool, which helps me have a clearer mind and figure out what needs to be figured out and more. The fact that you didn't struggle and felt relieved that it is out of your life, means that time of your life; your gaming phase had died down. It's not a bad nor a good thing, life is in phases after all.

Hopefully, I will not stop play games or watching Anime, even though, I have picked up Manga as it's more convenient, especially with my studies, but I still love Anime and Gaming, and playing them helps so much...it's like reading a book; which I also love hehehehehe

What hobbies have you taken up now??
I used to play things to pass the time but it's not as fun now and if I were to play anything, it'd just require more time than I'm willing to invest, so I don't really play anything apart from the odd game of FIFA. Sadly I feel more adultish now and want to get real skills. :frown:
I actually feel the same. But at the same time I'm glad I don't play my ps4 like i used to play my ps3 when MW1 was the big thing. Back then I could spend 8 hours straight after high school literally glued to the tv screen trying to attempt 'no scopes', 'quick scopes' and whatever else they call 'em these days. My obsession with gaming was so bad, not only did I horribly screw up in my exams but worse I missed the chance to get into the uni I applied for (worst days of my life).

Only once i quit playing could i actually focus on my exams and now I'm in a position i have a degree and can focus on my masters. Although i do occasionally play my ps4 during the summer holidays, which helps to relieve the stress IMO.

P.S uncharted 4 is awesome.
Reply 6
In school I played a lot of games.
Pretty much stopped during uni due to being busy with uni work/work work/not wanting to do badly.
After I finished uni and got a decent job I started playing again. Even now, over four years on, I'm still enjoying the feeling of not having work to do when I get home, and I can sit around playing games like I did as a kid.

At the risk of getting philosophical, coming home from a serious job to messing about with a couple of friends online helps put things in perspective a bit. I don't play serious games and don't play to win, it's just about having a laugh.
(edited 7 years ago)
I have become more selective with what I play, and won't play something that isn't amazing.
Played lots of CS:GO, EVE Online, Dark Souls, and The Witcher recently.
Gonna be starting second MSc :tongue: is always time.
I definitely don't game as much as when I was in school. Only when a new game is out I'll play the single player and return it. Before I just loaded up multiplayer everyday and played for hours.
Reply 9
I see no reason why you have to stop it completely as long as you strictly limit it. You'd enjoy games more that way anyway I imagine.
I quit MMO's once I hit Uni, because those things sucked the ever living life out of your free time

Still carry on with everything else though. Work hard, play harder.
Reply 11
Original post by BunnyMidnight
What hobbies have you taken up now??

Now I just watch Netflix in my free time, but I find that I get easily bored of it. Watching things just isn't the same as holding a controller and playing something.
Also, I need to learn how to use some software as part of my chosen career and so I spend some time on that.

Hopefully when I secure a job and have a fixed routine I'll be able to allocate some time to actual hobbies.
My dad is 43, is a teacher and still games :smile: you're never too old for it
I've always been a CoD player, been playing it since CoD2. Its more of an issue of the games getting worse and worse rather than not having enough time to play them
Reply 14
Original post by Desi_Scotsman
I actually feel the same. But at the same time I'm glad I don't play my ps4 like i used to play my ps3 when MW1 was the big thing. Back then I could spend 8 hours straight after high school literally glued to the tv screen trying to attempt 'no scopes', 'quick scopes' and whatever else they call 'em these days. My obsession with gaming was so bad, not only did I horribly screw up in my exams but worse I missed the chance to get into the uni I applied for (worst days of my life).

Only once i quit playing could i actually focus on my exams and now I'm in a position i have a degree and can focus on my masters. Although i do occasionally play my ps4 during the summer holidays, which helps to relieve the stress IMO.

This is so relatable lmao. Gaming affected my education too, like I'd just play games and never revised or anything. :frown:
Good to hear that you got your **** together at uni :biggrin: me too. I guess that's why I removed it from my life and didn't go back, because when it comes to a few hours of Playstation vs studying I'd always choose Vgames, yikes.
Reply 15
Original post by College_Dropout
I've always been a CoD player, been playing it since CoD2. Its more of an issue of the games getting worse and worse rather than not having enough time to play them

True! Dropping CoD this year didn't matter so much to me because I hated the Black Ops series and the beta confirmed that.
Original post by Desi_Scotsman

Don't get me started on uncharted 4. I'm currently level 60, master rank and in 0 percentile in every game mode there is. Uncharted 4 has been my life every night so far this summer.
Reply 17
Original post by FXX
In school I played a lot of games.
Pretty much stopped during uni due to being busy with uni work/work work/not wanting to do badly.
After I finished uni and got a decent job I started playing again. Even now, over four years on, I'm still enjoying the feeling of not having work to do when I get home, and I can sit around playing games like I did as a kid.

At the risk of getting philosophical, coming home from a serious job to messing about with a couple of friends online helps put things in perspective a bit. I don't play serious games and don't play to win, it's just about having a laugh.

Sounds good! Yeah, I do hope to start playing again in the future when I have some stability in my daily routine and definitely when studying is over. At the minute I just need to prioritise getting my career on track, hobbies can come after, hopefully! :smile:
Reply 18
You've got the right mindset tbh, at your age I literally didn't care about GCSEs.
If you have that self control to balance your studies and play in moderation then there's nothing wrong with that.
I've really cut down on video games lately because I've been so busy tryna work and make something of my life. It's the summer holidays and I want to pick it back up and I know I will but I know I'm gonna have less time when I'm older so might as well play as much as I can rn

Quick Reply

Latest