The Student Room Group

What's the most funny/ignorant thing someone has said about your ethnicity?

I'm kind of light-skin brown, but I'm not South Asian (ie I'm not Indian/Pakistani etc), I'm Middle Eastern.

I've had someone request a bhangra dance when Punjabi MC came on in the club. I've also had people asking me to teach them to wrap turbans, teach them urdu and teach them how to make parathas.

An old housemate of mine came into the kitchen when I had finished cooking:

"Mmmm smells good!! Did you just make a curry"
"No it was fried eggs and toast"
"Oh, smells like curry"

I have plenty more but those are just a few to start things off.

Anyone else want to contribute? :colone:

Scroll to see replies

I'm black and whenever I go to house parties there will be some white guy trying to get me to dab with him

"Oi fella show me how you hit the dab" :/

It's not malicious though and can just be laughed off :smile:
Reply 2
I'm south Asian
but being told "if you was blonde Youd look like Kim K"
Me like "WTF does my ass look fake or something"
Original post by hi-zen-berg
I'm black and whenever I go to house parties there will be some white guy trying to get me to dab with him

"Oi fella show me how you hit the dab" :/

It's not malicious though and can just be laughed off :smile:

Hahah I never understood where dabs even came from, what do they actually mean?
"Can you speak English?"
well obviously since i'm at work (work part-time in retail).

I just laugh it off.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Peppercrunch
"Can you speak English?"well obviously since i'm at work (work part-time in retail).I just laugh it off.

You should reply to them with "No I do not speak any English whatsoever" and then launch into a Macbeth soliloquy
Not ethnicity but nationality. Had English friends genuinely ask me if we have busses in Scotland and that someone else thought Scotland was a city in England, yes an actual English uni student...
Original post by AndrewSCO
Not ethnicity but nationality. Had English friends genuinely ask me if we have busses in Scotland and that someone else thought Scotland was a city in England, yes an actual English uni student...

Hahahaha that's hilarious, someone said something similar to me once. I come from a small city up north in England and a friend from London actually asked me "Do they have busses in your hometown? They don't have TFL there do they"
Original post by Bezoar
Hahahaha that's hilarious, someone said something similar to me once. I come from a small city up north in England and a friend from London actually asked me "Do they have busses in your hometown? They don't have TFL there do they"

I think uni's should kick people out for such things personally :laugh:
If you're English and you think you Scotland is a city (near Wales might I add, they knew Wales was a country, but though that Scotland was just a city near it, and that Edinburgh and Glasgow were also English cities) then you don't deserve to be at uni :laugh:
Reply 9
lol thats pretty funny
Original post by AndrewSCO
I think uni's should kick people out for such things personally :laugh:
If you're English and you think you Scotland is a city (near Wales might I add, they knew Wales was a country, but though that Scotland was just a city near it, and that Edinburgh and Glasgow were also English cities) then you don't deserve to be at uni :laugh:

People who say stuff like that make me wonder whether they're pulling my leg or if they've genuinely been dropped on their head as a kid
Original post by Bezoar
People who say stuff like that make me wonder whether they're pulling my leg or if they've genuinely been dropped on their head as a kid

Hahah, these people were genuinely serious :frown:
Original post by Bezoar
I'm kind of light-skin brown, but I'm not South Asian (ie I'm not Indian/Pakistani etc), I'm Middle Eastern.

I've had someone request a bhangra dance when Punjabi MC came on in the club. I've also had people asking me to teach them to wrap turbans, teach them urdu and teach them how to make parathas.

"Oh, smells like curry"

I'm South Asian and people think I'm too "white" to be south Asian.
I don't look South Asian (bc I am not) but because I don't look English people assume that I must be South Asian. Logic. :erm:
Original post by SinsNotTragedies
I don't look South Asian (bc I am not) but because I don't look English people assume that I must be South Asian. Logic. :erm:

Hahah my problem exactly. A lot of people think "this person isn't white therefore must be south asian" like every other part of the world doesn't exist
Original post by Saba XD
I'm South Asian and people think I'm too "white" to be south Asian.

lol a close friend of mine who is of the same ethnicity as me has paler skin and people don't believe us when we say we're from teh same place. I've had people say "YOU look like you're from there but she definitely doesnt cos her skin is too pale" and I'm like "m8 are you telling me that you know more about the people of my own country than me?"
Original post by Bezoar
lol a close friend of mine who is of the same ethnicity as me has paler skin and people don't believe us when we say we're from teh same place. I've had people say "YOU look like you're from there but she definitely doesnt cos her skin is too pale" and I'm like "m8 are you telling me that you know more about the people of my own country than me?"

Haha Awww must get frustrating for you?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I never know which answer to pick when people ask me that!! I usually reply back to them with "are you asking me where I'm from, or where I'm FROM from?"
Original post by Bezoar

"Oh, smells like curry"

Haha im the opposite. A south asian mistaken for a middle eastern. :tongue:
I have kinda olive skin (like mediterranean) but am of scottish & hispanic/latino descent. i still remember, when i was like 6 in scotland, a kid at my school asked me, a pretty much white kid but with (evidently extraordinary) non-translucent skin, why i was "so black". if there is literally anything i am not it's black, but apparently i wasn't transparent enough for glasgow :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest