The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheMcSame
Basically mirroring what is said above, 2 years is 4 tests assuming the worse case scenario... However, cancellations aren't uncommon, in reality, you could easily do more than 4 tests in a year, never mind 2 years.

Don't take your theory test too early and you won't need to worry about needing to take it again...

The fact is; driving is a privilege, not a right.
Don't like it? Waste time with public transport and walk.
Or just cycle everywhere.

Private transport may cost more, but time is far more valuable, you can make more money, but you can't make more time.

You've made driving sound like it's something for the elite by describing it as a 'privilege' lol. It's not exactly hard and anyone with a half working brain who wants to pass could providing they have the money for lessons.
Reply 21
Basically mirroring what is said above, 2 years is 4 tests assuming the worse case scenario... However, cancellations aren't uncommon, in reality, you could easily do more than 4 tests in a year, never mind 2 years.

Don't take your theory test too early and you won't need to worry about needing to take it again...

The fact is; driving is a privilege, not a right.
Don't like it? Waste time with public transport and walk.
Or just cycle everywhere.

Private transport may cost more, but time is far more valuable, you can make more money, but you can't make more time.

I know I could pass my test if I took it by tomorrow but because of the silly waiting times and the theory test running out I have to re-do everything again and pass my theory again then take my test which will waste another 1/2 a year 6 months
Reply 22
Original post by Natalierm2707
This is exactly what my instructor advised as well! Then you will never have the problem of expiration!

Some people really moan about silly things when the majority of them don't think it through beforehand!

Posted from TSR Mobile

WELL yeah I've thought about taking my test but was too busy with other things
Reply 23
Well I guess f*************************** taking the theory test again what a waste of time I refuse to give more money to the DVLA they need to really get their acts together and sort their waiting times
(edited 7 years ago)
2 years is a ****ing long time. Plan better and it won't expire, simple as that really.
Original post by Jee1
WELL yeah I've thought about taking my test but was too busy with other things

Thats not what im saying, i would recommend (as would most driving instructors) to take your theory as your beginning to be ready for the practical, that way you wont face the issue of expiry.

I started learning in november, took my theory in march, failed once, stopped for. 3 months for exams and then sat it again in september and passed. No matter how busy you are just plan ahead always its not hard...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 26
Original post by WoodyMKC
2 years is a ****ing long time. Plan better and it won't expire, simple as that really.

yhhhhh f******** taking it again after passing it
Original post by alexp98
You've made driving sound like it's something for the elite by describing it as a 'privilege' lol. It's not exactly hard and anyone with a half working brain who wants to pass could providing they have the money for lessons.

In what way does saying driving is a privilege suggest it's for the elite?

The fact is that there are people out there who will never have the opportunity to drive, instead they'll have to walk miles upon miles for simple needs such as food and water.
There are people in this very country that can't afford to run a car because they live in poverty.

I hate to be the guy that drops that card, but it's pretty much the only way I can get the point across. If driving was a right, then even the poorest of the poor would be able to run a car. The point is that compared to other people, you and me, we're in a privileged position because we have these opportunities, because we live in a highly developed country.
Can anybody recommend an app or website where I can learn my theory? Preferably free but not essential. Cheers
Reply 29
Cycle superhighways + The Tube + Uber > Driving + Congestion Charge + Insurance + Driving Lessons + Extra Pollution
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 30
Original post by Nurne
Cycle superhighways + The Tube + Uber > Driving + Congestion Charge + Insurance + Driving Lessons + Extra Pollution

Thing is I don't live in London, and at the moment I don't really really need a car because I have everything close to me within walking distance. I just needed to pass my test because I never know when I'll ever need a car. And as a female I wouldn't want to rely on taxis and Uber because there might be some dodgy men out there
(edited 7 years ago)
In what way does saying driving is a privilege suggest it's for the elite?

The fact is that there are people out there who will never have the opportunity to drive, instead they'll have to walk miles upon miles for simple needs such as food and water.
There are people in this very country that can't afford to run a car because they live in poverty.

I hate to be the guy that drops that card, but it's pretty much the only way I can get the point across. If driving was a right, then even the poorest of the poor would be able to run a car. The point is that compared to other people, you and me, we're in a privileged position because we have these opportunities, because we live in a highly developed country.

Ah fair enough to I understand what you're saying, for a second I thought earlier you were saying it was a privilege referring to the fact that it's actually a challenge and one should fee honoured to drive but the fact is that everyone who can afford to can.
Reply 32
Passed my theory test again now I cba to do my practical test
Reply 33
Original post by Jee1
Passed my theory test again now I cba to do my practical test
Well, if you "cba" for another year and 11 months, then no doubt you'll be complaining again in August 2018 after failing your practical.

Get a grip, get your test booked now for 5 months ahead (or whatever you claim it to be - it's only 2 months in some places) and make sure you're good enough to pass it first time. You've plenty of practice time, after all.

I'm guessing you're only griping on here because you failed the practical just before your theory ran out.
don't be too sore, in India it's just valid for 6 months.
5 or 6 months waiting list for a test is still way less than, and easily within, the 2 years the theory test lasts, so what's yer problem?
All comes down to your examiners, idc what anyone says there is ones more lenient than others, i know someone who failed automatic then on his second attempt did the exact same thing but this time with actual cars coming towards him and he passed, driving test is more of a on the day luck and something you cant predict etc, getting a car isn't exactly cheap but when you add up bus and train tickets or whatever you'll be surprised. People say its expensive bla bla which it is but there is nothing you can do about it tbh, as much as people say oh **** them il walk or get bus everyday just how long do you think that will last? but hey if people want to walk or get bus everyday for next 60 years be my guest lol or just do your theory and get a week driving course and be over and done with like everyone else.

Also, 2 years is super long and not needed tbh, who does a theory test if they have no intentions or know they wont be able to do practical lessons within the 2 year? its like buying car insurance for a year and not driving the car then moaning you have to pay for another years insurance like it makes no sense....don't buy a theory test unless you know 100% you can dedicate time and money to all of it.

Just realised this is years old..ah well.
(edited 3 years ago)
How about ppl who license in 70s forr free,they never need refresh anything in life,and we need

Latest

Trending

Trending