The Student Room Group

Does gaming have no room in your life anymore?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sh9
Now I just watch Netflix in my free time, but I find that I get easily bored of it. Watching things just isn't the same as holding a controller and playing something.
Also, I need to learn how to use some software as part of my chosen career and so I spend some time on that.

Hopefully when I secure a job and have a fixed routine I'll be able to allocate some time to actual hobbies.

LOOL well good luck with finding new hobbies, would recommend drawing or photography or gaming:wink::wink:
(come back to the dark sideeeee :3)
Reply 21
Original post by catman99
I see no reason why you have to stop it completely as long as you strictly limit it. You'd enjoy games more that way anyway I imagine.

Because I had no self control :frown: I'd prioritise a few hours of Vgames over studying, so it was better to just disconnect from it totally.
When I'm working and studying is over I'll most likely bring it back as a hobby of mine and won't feel guilty about it. :biggrin:
Reply 22
Original post by BunnyMidnight
LOOL well good luck with finding new hobbies, would recommend drawing or photography or gaming:wink::wink:
(come back to the dark sideeeee :3)

If only I was that creative :frown: hahaha I'm still in touch with a friend I made through gaming and she always tries to tempt me like that. Like..it will be midnight and she'll message me "b.i.t.c.h get on GTA" a year after I haven't signed on 😂
Original post by sh9
If only I was that creative :frown: hahaha I'm still in touch with a friend I made through gaming and she always tries to tempt me like that. Like..it will be midnight and she'll message me "b.i.t.c.h get on GTA" a year after I haven't signed on 😂

Lol it's a sign..COME BACK!!
my mum says everyone is creative, just on different levels. the one thing we all have in common is that it was inspired by something.
Just start slow, do basic stuff and things will come to you, one thing with creativity is that:

1. It can not be rushed.
2. It happens at any moment, at any time.
3. Don't analyse it too much, will not get you anywhere
4. Practice.
I used to play COD for 10 or more hours a day when it was good haha. I had like 55 days played on Black Ops 2.

But now that COD games are absolute shite, I hardly ever play unless it's summer and even then I only play some games on Fifa these days.

Still though, I miss them 1v1's on Rust at 1.30am in the morning ahaha
Reply 25
Original post by Evil Genius
I used to play COD for 10 or more hours a day when it was good haha. I had like 55 days played on Black Ops 2.

But now that COD games are absolute shite, I hardly ever play unless it's summer and even then I only play some games on Fifa these days.

Omg hahaha, I had 33 days on MW2 and 30 on mw3, BO1 and 2 both below 10 days. Thankfully for me this year was BO3 which I didn't buy, otherwise I would've struggled w my priorities lmao.

Same! I miss sniping and running about with shotguns that actually killed people. MW2 was my life tbh
I don't play as much as I used to. I'm usually quite busy doing other stuff.
I was playing Witcher just now. If I have reached the daily target word limit for my dissertation by the evening, I reward myself by turning on Steam for a couple of hours :biggrin:

Some days there is no time for it though.
Original post by Evil Genius

Black Ops 1 Zombies was soooo good, had thousands of hours of playtime by the time I finished with that game. But yeah, crap nowadays, only play COD very casually.
I was a hardcore gamer before I got diagnosed with a medical condition. Then after I had a transplant, I focus more on my real life, because I'm always thinking about not disappointing the donor of the organ. And of course the doctors who worked hard to find me a very good match.
Reply 30
Original post by WoodyMKC
Black Ops 1 Zombies was soooo good, had thousands of hours of playtime by the time I finished with that game. But yeah, crap nowadays, only play COD very casually.

How is zombies on BO3? I haven't even seen any footage since the trailer
But same, that reminds me I used to play BO1 zombies every day with this girl and guy who were brother and sister and it was so fkn fun. Now I miss them lmao :frown:
Original post by sh9
How is zombies on BO3? I haven't even seen any footage since the trailer
But same, that reminds me I used to play BO1 zombies every day with this girl and guy who were brother and sister and it was so fkn fun. Now I miss them lmao :frown:

It's terrible. Sort of knew from the start of Black Ops 2 that they were going to start going OTT with Zombies as time progressed, and sure enough that's exactly what happened. You have to do all these damn quests and stuff just to get weapons. I liked it when it was simple. Moon was as complicated as it needed to ever get.

I started playing with my mate round his house, then got BO1 myself and started playing solo, got into finding strategies and stuff like that and I started playing with a guy online, we got a few round 60+ games in which I have great memories from. My best memories though were when we just used to get a game going on an easy map, have no goal, just shoot zombies and shoot the breeze until we got bored and just ended the game, or get into a game with players with really low round scores and challenge ourselves to drag them to a certain round. Such good days man...
No, not really. I've just found other ways to entertain myself as I've got older I suppose. Though I play occasionally, which I find is better. :smile:
During term time I really can't afford to play because I hardly get time out of school activities. However, whenever I am free or have 2-3 days holiday I try to manage time to game. I really haven't had problems. I am socially awkward and I don't really get along with my classmates. Hence, I don't mind not being able to go outside with them. I rather play games in my PS4 which is far more fun.
There is always time for leisure.

The only problem I have is I don't have the time to play or replay certain games (multiplayers, Football Manager etc.) because there are so many other games to play out there, which isn't really a bad thing.
I literally stopped playing PS4 for the whole of Year11 due to worrying about GCSEs.

Now that Summer is nearly over, I have decided that to save time and money over the next few years I will be dropping games like FIFA, and taking up racing games like Assetto Corsa or GT Sport. (Racing games are super fun and are not overly time-consuming)

Sunday is gonna be the day I play, every other day means work work work though

So yeah I mean, I guess anyone can make time for the things they want to do. Even if these things aren't 'priorities', there is no real harm in making time for them

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'd say the purpose and meaning of playing video games changes as you get older. When you're in your early to mid teens, it's a default 'hobby', and often done to kill time. As you reach your late teens and eventually your twens and thirties, it's something you need to make time for, something else will have to give. You can make the conscious choice to do that, but to most people studying, work, other hobbies, or spending time with your partner/spouse and friends just becomes more important.

That being said, nothing will take away those great childhood memories of switching on a Game Boy (yes, the original), SNES, Saturn, or Neo Geo for the first time.
Original post by postexamtalk
Don't get me started on uncharted 4. I'm currently level 60, master rank and in 0 percentile in every game mode there is. Uncharted 4 has been my life every night so far this summer.

Thats nice to hear, unfortunately I didn't get that far.

I sold my game after 4 weeks to save up for COD remastered. Its a crime, i know.
:colondollar:

p.s. do you mean 100th percentile.
Original post by Desi_Scotsman
Thats nice to hear, unfortunately I didn't get that far.

I sold my game after 4 weeks to save up for COD remastered. Its a crime, i know.
:colondollar:

p.s. do you mean 100th percentile.

My goodness, you actually went that far.

And according to the game, it's the 0 percentile.
Original post by postexamtalk
My goodness, you actually went that far.

And according to the game, it's the 0 percentile.

Yes, yes i did.

Probably is 0 percentile, seeing I only played the game for 4 weeks.

In fact that reminds me i need to put a pre-order for COD. And possibly battlefield 1.

Quick Reply

Latest