The Student Room Group

To all those Brexiters who had championed Switzerland as a role model

Scroll to see replies

Why Ha ha? We are all on the Titanic. It is all very well laughing at the designer for claiming his ship was unsinkable but we are still all going to drown or freeze to death in the sea.

In this scenario, it is the rich who play the parts of the women and children.
Switzerland's deal was supposed to be a stopgap towards EU membership, instead they show no sign of joining and it's grown into a massively complicated set of arrangements that it wouldn't be viable to replicate.

It doesn't take PhD levels of research to know this and I've no doubt the politicians using this example did.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ByEeek

In this scenario, it is the rich who play the parts of the women and children.

Unfortunately this is the case, I can't see Boris and Farage ending up on the breadline if the economy starts to struggle.
Yet another pointless thread.

You lost the referendum. Deal with it.
The Guardian is as bad as the DM.
Personally speaking I never wanted to have a Switzerland like deal (or Norway for that matter), so I'm not really bothered about the article.
Reply 7
First of all I am not British. The only reason I "supported" Remain was because it is the smart choice. So I really am not upset at all about the vote, because I personally couldn't care less. I lived in London for some years and in the end I ****ing hated it and the only thing I am missing are the football matches.
So why do I care to post this? Well because I like an argument so naturally was involved in many before the referendum. And so it's just a great bit of Schadenfreude to see all the dreams of the leavetards falling apart. Boris Johnson has already been humiliated not just by his EU counterparts at meetings, but by his US counterpart.

And well maybe you didn't, but a) many others did and b) what exactly did you think was gonna happen afterwards? You think you are going to get a great deal?

And why dismiss an entire article just because it was written in magazine X. Exactly the kind of thinking that Leavetards display in their choice.

Is all of that going to be worth it just so not a single law or regulation governing your country is determined outside of Westminster?
Original post by inhuman
First of all I am not British. The only reason I "supported" Remain was because it is the smart choice. So I really am not upset at all about the vote, because I personally couldn't care less. I lived in London for some years and in the end I ****ing hated it and the only thing I am missing are the football matches.
So why do I care to post this? Well because I like an argument so naturally was involved in many before the referendum. And so it's just a great bit of Schadenfreude to see all the dreams of the leavetards falling apart. Boris Johnson has already been humiliated not just by his EU counterparts at meetings, but by his US counterpart.

And well maybe you didn't, but a) many others did and b) what exactly did you think was gonna happen afterwards? You think you are going to get a great deal?

And why dismiss an entire article just because it was written in magazine X. Exactly the kind of thinking that Leavetards display in their choice.

Is all of that going to be worth it just so not a single law or regulation governing your country is determined outside of Westminster?

Why are you calling over 17 million people Leavetards? Is it because it sounds like Retards? Oh and if "You're not British " it is none of your damn business.
Reply 9
Original post by markova21
Why are you calling over 17 million people Leavetards? Is it because it sounds like Retards? Oh and if "You're not British " it is none of your damn business.

Because to me the vast majority of those "arguing" for Brexit are stupid. Some have somewhat genuine arguments that are based on anti-EU sentiment, some are at least honest and say they are outright anti-non UK, but most pretend it's the better choice, when it's not.

And why not? People on here discuss the US election even though they are not American. But I guess that is exactly what a leavetard would say :wink:
Original post by inhuman
Because to me the vast majority of those "arguing" for Brexit are stupid. Some have somewhat genuine arguments that are based on anti-EU sentiment, some are at least honest and say they are outright anti-non UK, but most pretend it's the better choice, when it's not.

And why not? People on here discuss the US election even though they are not American. But I guess that is exactly what a leavetard would say :wink:

Yes people on here discuss the US Presidential election. But I can't imagine people are on here are going to be proverbially rubbing their hands with glee like you seem to be doing if their preferred candidate wins and something happens that appears to be a temporary setback in some way. What a sad, bitter person you come across as.
Reply 11
Yes people on here discuss the US Presidential election. But I can't imagine people are on here are going to be proverbially rubbing their hands with glee like you seem to be doing if their preferred candidate wins and something happens that appears to be a temporary setback in some way. What a sad, bitter person you come across as.

Why? Schadenfreude is die schönste Freude.

And why bitter? I knew this would happen...would you call everyone who says I told you so, bitter? Get a grip.
*guardian link*
*tsk tsk tsk*
and when people send you daily mail articles you shrug it off?

i think Leavodopas sounds better...
44% of Britain's exports go to the EU. 8% of the EU's exports go to Britain. It isn't hard to figure out which side really needs a deal, and which can afford to play hardball.
Original post by the bear
i think Leavodopas sounds better...

You complain about Brexiters yet you use the avatar pic that you use :biggrin:.
*Let me cite the Guardian to explain why you're a stupid evil racist bigot*
Reply 17
Original post by TercioOfParma
*Let me cite the Guardian to explain why you're a stupid evil racist bigot*

*Let me ignore all the facts just because the story was presented in a source I personally deem unsatisfactory*
Original post by sleepysnooze
*guardian link*
*tsk tsk tsk*
and when people send you daily mail articles you shrug it off?

At least the Guardian doesn't promote pedophilia and think that a celebrity getting a breast implant is more important news than a suicide bombing where 300+ people die.
Original post by JamesN88
Switzerland's deal was supposed to be a stopgap towards EU membership, instead they show no sign of joining and it's grown into a massively complicated set of arrangements that it wouldn't be viable to replicate.

It doesn't take PhD levels of research to know this and I've no doubt the politicians using this example did.

Switzerland had an anti-EU population but a pro-EU government. EU membership failed in a referendum so the government joined by calling membership something else. Switzerland has failed to not join the EU because it was never trying to avoid joining the EU, in fact was trying quite hard to force itself in against the wishes of the population.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending