The Student Room Group

STEP Prep Thread 2016 (Mark. II)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by IrrationalRoot
I've been doing maths nonstop since my last exam... kinda sad really lol.

Wot maths u been doin

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've been doing maths nonstop since my last exam... kinda sad really lol.

This's fine bro, just make to stop and smell the roses from time to time (and report back, legit curious as to how they smell now)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
Wot maths u been doin

Posted from TSR Mobile

Surprisingly enough I didn't get much done, but mainly problem solving stuff including some olympiad problems (I solved an IMO problem for the first time in the process, which is nice but it was probably one that was considered easy).
Oh also I covered M3.
Surprisingly enough I didn't get much done, but mainly problem solving stuff including some olympiad problems (I solved an IMO problem for the first time in the process, which is nice but it was probably one that was considered easy).
Oh also I covered M3.

Ur doing the proper good stuff. Dont do uni stuff like these other weirdos.
What IMO problem was it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
Ur doing the proper good stuff. Dont do uni stuff like these other weirdos.
What IMO problem was it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah it's definitely fun stuff and I've improved a lot at problem solving :smile:.

I looked up the problem and it was IMO 1995 Q2:

Let a,b,ca,b,c be positive real numbers such that abc=1abc=1.
Prove that 1a3(b+c)+1b3(c+a)+1c3(a+b)32\dfrac{1}{a^3(b+c)}+\dfrac{1}{b^3(c+a)}+\dfrac{1}{c^3(a+b)} \geq \dfrac{3}{2}.
Yeah it's definitely fun stuff and I've improved a lot at problem solving :smile:.

Prove that 1a3(b+c)+1b3(c+a)+1c3(a+b)32\dfrac{1}{a^3(b+c)}+\dfrac{1}{b^3(c+a)}+\dfrac{1}{c^3(a+b)} \geq \dfrac{3}{2}.

https://www.artofproblemsolving.com/wiki/index.php?title=1995_IMO_Problems/Problem_2
Original post by elliejackson
On my results page it says 'Results for this test are not available to you'?!?! I thought it was supposed to say they have not been published/released yet? Anyone else got this?

It's more a less the same thing, they're not available to us as they haven't been released yet

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah. Very nice.
I haven't tried it but my instant thoughts are prove singular terms then cycle or cauchy.
Reply 2789
Original post by elliejackson
On my results page it says 'Results for this test are not available to you'?!?! I thought it was supposed to say they have not been published/released yet? Anyone else got this?

It's meant to say that.
Good luck to everyone in their results! I just saw this thread and had some brutal flashbacks to when I was waiting for mine to come out.
hey it mightve been asked before but how many marks for q5 part i and ii (step 2)
When did you guys start preparing for step ?
Original post by Mystery.

August 2013

As soon as I found out wat step was. Literally start as soon as possible
Original post by newblood
August 2013

When did you sit the exam??
Original post by Mathemagicien
Since birth

Oh.. I might be late then
Original post by EnglishMuon
As soon as I found out wat step was. Literally start as soon as possible

When did you find out? I already feel I'm way too late
I tried to do a few step1 problems and I can't even do those, is it even worth applying?!
When did you find out? I already feel I'm way too late
I tried to do a few step1 problems and I can't even do those, is it even worth applying?!

Start with Siklos' booklets, and take your time with questions. Don't look at the solutions.

End of Year 10

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending