The Student Room Group

Chinese swimming star attributes failure to being on her period

Apparently it was previously a sporting taboo to talk about your period but Chinese swimmer Fu Yuanhui spoke out after coming 4th in her race.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-37081669
The same swimmer whose "mystic energy" got her a medal?
"It's because my period came yesterday, so I felt particularly tired - but this isn't a reason, I still didn't swim well enough."
It's like nobody here reads.
Reply 4
Day two of periods is the worst - you feel completely drained. I sympathise.

She didn't really blame it on her period, more listed it as a contributing factor amongst the fact that she (in her own words) "still didn't swim well enough".
Original post by Craig1998
"It's because my period came yesterday, so I felt particularly tired - but this isn't a reason, I still didn't swim well enough."
It's like nobody here reads.

She basically said "I'm not saying it was my period - but it was my period"

Anyway- what the hell. If she's an elite athlete she and her team must know that her period is going to affect her performance. Go on the pill.
(edited 7 years ago)
Its probably not the only reason she lost, but it could be one of the reasons. So I dont see anything particularely wrong with that statement. That being said, Im not too sure how much of an impact a period can have.
Whether I take painkillers or not, my periods an absolute killer and there's been times I've passed out/cried from the cramps. I salute her for being able to get 4th place! I can barely move throughout my period, let alone compete in the god damn Olympics jfc
Should have taken some norethisterone
Reply 9
It's still amazing that she was confident enough to talk about how her period affected her performance - she's only the second female athlete that I can think of who's done so (Heather Watson being the other one), and considering how painful some of mine have been in the past I can totally see why it would affect her results. The issue is that it's just an expectation that women can grin and bear it, and it's good to see the world slowly accepting that that might not be the case.
Reply 10
I don't think that it's necessarily why she didn't win but I think this should be encouraged, it's great to see women breaking the taboo :smile:
I think, it can be a contributory factor.

Quick Reply

Latest