The Student Room Group

Postgraduate options in healthcare

Hi guys,

I was wondering if any of you could help provide me with some options. I'm currently studying foreign languages at uni and even though I really enjoy the course - I've decided that working as translator/ teacher is definitely not for me. Ultimately, I want to get into healthcare. As I live near Manchester, one of my considerations is to study the MA Nursing at Uni of Salford but my Maths really lets me down. In fact one of the reasons I chose languages was to escape the dreaded Mathematics. Would you have any suggestions as to how I can improve my chances of getting onto this course after I graduate? I would particularly love to hear from those studying the Nursing MA at Salford and how they improved their maths skills. I don't think this is going to be an easy option but I have to give it my best shot! Thanks :smile:
Reply 1
If you do foreign languages, have you considered SLT? You'd be very well suited for it.*
Original post by giella
If you do foreign languages, have you considered SLT? You'd be very well suited for it.*

Hi Giella - I would absolutely love to do SLT. The outcomes are so rewarding. However, recent changes to SLT courses means that they are not accepting people with foreign languages degrees anymore. They only want to accept Psychology graduates. That's what I've been told but this may not be correct. I've looked at various different routes into healthcare and would even consider work as a healthcare assistant just to get into the healthcare arena.
Reply 3
Original post by chatty_george
Hi Giella - I would absolutely love to do SLT. The outcomes are so rewarding. However, recent changes to SLT courses means that they are not accepting people with foreign languages degrees anymore. They only want to accept Psychology graduates. That's what I've been told but this may not be correct. I've looked at various different routes into healthcare and would even consider work as a healthcare assistant just to get into the healthcare arena.

I think you mean the course at Manchester Met other postgraduate courses are still accepting other degrees.
You may also be interested to know that the course at the University of Manchester is now only one year longer than the postgraduate degree at ManMet and would accept your precious degree. You will still be able to access a fees loan for the undergraduate course.***
Original post by giella
I think you mean the course at Manchester Met other postgraduate courses are still accepting other degrees.
You may also be interested to know that the course at the University of Manchester is now only one year longer than the postgraduate degree at ManMet and would accept your precious degree. You will still be able to access a fees loan for the undergraduate course.***

Sounds great! I will definitely look into this as an option. In the meantime I think I need to focus on doing as well as I possibly can in my first degree then get some experience in an SLT setting. Thank you!
Reply 5
Original post by chatty_george
Sounds great! I will definitely look into this as an option. In the meantime I think I need to focus on doing as well as I possibly can in my first degree then get some experience in an SLT setting. Thank you!

You'd be best off reviewing what experience you do have. It doesn't have to be in a clinical setting. This is difficult to come by and admissions teams know this. Volunteering in a school teaching languages would be fine or just getting some observations in. Volunteering with the stroke association is always helpful and welcomed by admissions officers. *

Quick Reply

Latest