The Student Room Group
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website

Student Finance

Results day is approaching but I don't have a bank account to support my student finance and if I do attain the correct grades on results day then what would I do?
Original post by Studentxoxo
Results day is approaching but I don't have a bank account to support my student finance and if I do attain the correct grades on results day then what would I do?

The banks are open today, go open a bank account.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website
Original post by gdunne42
Posted from TSR Mobile

I can't open it today due to circumstances, I could possibly open it tomorrow :frown:

Once your place at university has been confirmed, print your UCAS confirmation letter, bring it to a bank of your choice, and ask to open a student bank account. Then you can update your details on student finance.

Original post by gdunne42

They won't be able to do it today, because their place at university hasn't been confirmed - they wouldn't be able to open a student bank account (with benefits such as an overdraft) without their AS12 letter, in most circumstances.
Original post by doctorwhofan98
Once your place at university has been confirmed, print your UCAS confirmation letter, bring it to a bank of your choice, and ask to open a student bank account. Then you can update your details on student finance.

They won't be able to do it today, because their place at university hasn't been confirmed - they wouldn't be able to open a student bank account (with benefits such as an overdraft) without their AS12 letter, in most circumstances.

Right I see, I guess I'll have todo it on results day, so you have to have your university place confirmed to open the account but isn't that too late to apply for student finance?
I'm sure you dont need to have your place confirmed for a student account, what if i open a regular account?
Right I see, I guess I'll have todo it on results day, so you have to have your university place confirmed to open the account but isn't that too late to apply for student finance?
I'm sure you dont need to have your place confirmed for a student account, what if i open a regular account?

If you haven't signed up for student finance yet, do it right now. The deadline to get your money to you on time passed months ago, so you'll be lucky to get it within the first month if you sign up this second. You don't need a confirmed university place to sign up; just enter the details of your firm choice, and you can edit it after results day. You don't need a bank account to sign up; you can add that later, once it's submitted.

Since you can edit your bank details on student finance at any time, there's no need to get a bank account before results day. You could open a regular bank account now, but there's no advantage to doing it sooner, so it's best to wait until your university place is confirmed - a student bank account has a lot of benefits, such as favourable interest rates, a big overdraft, and perhaps even an Amazon voucher or a free Railcard.
If you haven't signed up for student finance yet, do it right now. The deadline to get your money to you on time passed months ago, so you'll be lucky to get it within the first month if you sign up this second. You don't need a confirmed university place to sign up; just enter the details of your firm choice, and you can edit it after results day. You don't need a bank account to sign up; you can add that later, once it's submitted.

Since you can edit your bank details on student finance at any time, there's no need to get a bank account before results day. You could open a regular bank account now, but there's no advantage to doing it sooner, so it's best to wait until your university place is confirmed - a student bank account has a lot of benefits, such as favourable interest rates, a big overdraft, and perhaps even an Amazon voucher or a free Railcard.

I don't have a firm choice though? I'm not holding any offers at the moment so how do I complete the application, I'm not sure what course I'm going to opt for on results day through clearing it can vary from Law to Nursing so?
Right I see but won't it be too busy on results day to open up an account anyways because I'll be doing clearing too
I don't have a firm choice though? I'm not holding any offers at the moment so how do I complete the application, I'm not sure what course I'm going to opt for on results day through clearing it can vary from Law to Nursing so?
Right I see but won't it be too busy on results day to open up an account anyways because I'll be doing clearing too

Right ok, that complicates things a bit. There's still no rush on opening a student bank account - you can do it in early September if you want - but I'm not sure what you should do about student finance.

Post your question in this forum: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=910 - you'll get a response from a professional.
Right ok, that complicates things a bit. There's still no rush on opening a student bank account - you can do it in early September if you want - but I'm not sure what you should do about student finance.

Post your question in this forum: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=910 - you'll get a response from a professional.

Okay I'll post right away, thank you for the help :smile:

You a right there are lots of benefits to a student account and you can't get them until you are officially a student. However everyone I know details of had an existing bank account for the payment of their part time and summer wages that they converted to a student account as soon as they could. Its ok to wait obviously if you have family who can help you out with any banking needs until someone gets their own account.

Quick Reply

Latest