The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Abubakr7703
Hey! I have my ukcat tomorrow don't know whether to be excited or stressed lol. Any last minute tips?

Sat mine this morning and somehow ended up with an average of 787.

Last minute tips: sit mock tests to understand the format, make sure you can use the calculator effectively, make sure you at least guess the questions you don't have time to complete, don't worry about working through the whole decision making section - waste of brain energy, stay calm!

Good luck :smile:
Original post by julesaquilina
Got mine today and i still never understand those bus stop/train station questions on the QR with timetables and routes and stuff... Any tips?? Much appreciated

Hello there,

If it takes you a long time to solve these style of questions then quickly mark and flag these questions you find hard and move on to the next question. Time is marks in the UKCAT and you can spend that valuable time you saved on other questions that you would find easier to solve. This is how you can maximize your marks. Don't overdo this technique due to panic. Only do this a maximum of 2/3 times. If you have enough time at the end then quickly go back to these flagged questions and answer them with reason.

Use the DM station as a rest station and use this time wisely to write down important formulas that can help you with the QR section. Attempt some of the mathematical type questions in DM to keep yourself focused and do some mental maths to get ready for the QR section.

Percentage change
Speed/time/distance
area of 2d shapes
etc.

do be careful with units

Good Luck:smile:
Original post by rubislaw

Last minute tips: sit mock tests to understand the format, make sure you can use the calculator effectively, make sure you at least guess the questions you don't have time to complete, don't worry about working through the whole decision making section - waste of brain energy, stay calm!

Wow! Well Done. What did you get in individual sections?
Original post by saran23
Hello there,

If it takes you a long time to solve these style of questions then quickly mark and flag these questions you find hard and move on to the next question. Time is marks in the UKCAT and you can spend that valuable time you saved on other questions that you would find easier to solve. This is how you can maximize your marks. Don't overdo this technique due to panic. Only do this a maximum of 2/3 times. If you have enough time at the end then quickly go back to these flagged questions and answer them with reason.

Use the DM station as a rest station and use this time wisely to write down important formulas that can help you with the QR section. Attempt some of the mathematical type questions in DM to keep yourself focused and do some mental maths to get ready for the QR section.

Percentage change
Speed/time/distance
area of 2d shapes
etc.

do be careful with units

Good Luck:smile:

Thanks!! Thats a good idea actually ive never actually looked at any questions from the DM section but if there are maths ones then i'll use them to get into the maths zone!

congratulations on your result :smile:

May I ask how you did in your mock exams compared to your awesome score?
Original post by julesaquilina
Thanks!! Thats a good idea actually ive never actually looked at any questions from the DM section but if there are maths ones then i'll use them to get into the maths zone!

Np and good luck :smile:
How many questions has everyone done on Medify

wow amazing average :smile: well done :smile: was the VR impossible :frown: I only score avg of 650 on offical mocks :frown: how did u cope with the offical mock
How does offical mock B compare to the real thing, i found the AR impossible but i normally socre 700 on thi :/ i found the VR hard but the QR pre easy
Original post by Abubakr7703
Wow! Well Done. What did you get in individual sections?

Thanks!

Verbal - 720
Quantitative - 890
Abstract - 750

Situational - Band 2

Original post by saran23
congratulations on your result :smile:

May I ask how you did in your mock exams compared to your awesome score?

Thanks!

Generally mid 600s - high 600s on medify and similar on the ukcat website

Original post by clairebear101
wow amazing average :smile: well done :smile: was the VR impossible :frown: I only score avg of 650 on offical mocks :frown: how did u cope with the offical mock

Verbal wasn't too bad - similar to medify. The hardest part is that it is the first section so felt pretty nervous and couldn't focus that well. Averaged mid 600s on mocks - I found I was able to get through way more questions in the real thing, probably due to adrenaline haha. Was also surprised by my abstract score - thought it had gone badly but went way better than in my mocks!

Good luck everyone :smile:
don't know what to make of this 660 band 3 ??
Original post by Yazmin123
don't know what to make of this 660 band 3 ??

I would love to get this. Be happy. You'll surpass loads of medical school cut off's (based on previous year reports)
Original post by YounesB
I would love to get this. Be happy. You'll surpass loads of medical school cut off's (based on previous year reports)

really?! i guess I'm just comparing mine to everyones on here tbh but what med school would accept this score??
Just did it.

VR:720
QR:820
AR:900
Band 1

VR: About as hard as official mock C, nothing as bad as everyone is saying, got about 3 T/F/CT
QR:colone:asier than anything I'd done in practice but the wording of a couple questions was weird.
AR: Really easy but did get quite a lot of the type 2,3,4 questions which I didn't practice enough!
Just did official mock A and got
VR:28/44
QR:9/36
AR:38/55

I didn't understand most if any of the QR questions and ended up having to guess the majority. Can anyone offer me advice.
Thanks
Original post by ronnydandam
Just did it.

Band 1

VR: About as hard as official mock C, nothing as bad as everyone is saying, got about 3 T/F/CT
QR:colone:asier than anything I'd done in practice but the wording of a couple questions was weird.
AR: Really easy but did get quite a lot of the type 2,3,4 questions which I didn't practice enough!

Wow, congratulations!!! This is awesome! So the QR wasn't as hard as the official mocks?
Just did it.

Band 1

Wow you did really well!! How did it compare to the medify mocks? And was QR one table/simple calculations then?
Original post by blues123
Just did official mock A and got
VR:28/44
QR:9/36
AR:38/55

I didn't understand most if any of the QR questions and ended up having to guess the majority. Can anyone offer me advice.
Thanks

Don't get discouraged. :smile: My best advice would be to buy a subscription at medify.co.uk which simulates the style of the exam and offers you loads of questions from every section to practise, timed or untimed. It's a life-saver! Most importantly, practise is key in the UKCAT in my opinion. In time, you will definitely get better. Plus, these mocks are said to be way harder than the real thing.

As for the QR, you could work through the quantitative practice questions in the official site and look at the explanation. Then try the untimed version of the mock for maths.

Good luck!!!
(edited 7 years ago)
Just did it.

Band 1

TIPS please (: (for all sections) - really struggling atm.
Just did it.

Band 1

What did you use to prepare?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending