The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

Original post by blues123
Just did official mock A and got
VR:28/44
QR:9/36
AR:38/55

I didn't understand most if any of the QR questions and ended up having to guess the majority. Can anyone offer me advice.
Thanks

Hi blues123

Hoping I can offer some advice for the QR section:

Firstly get familiar with the on screen calculator and use the calculator with the keyboard for speed. It is really important to practice this.

Look for hard questions and skip these immediately, there is no point in wasting valuable time. If the question is hard to understand, the data you need is complex or there are many stages to the calculation, then I would consider this a hard question.

When you move on, just guess an answer and flag for review in case you get extra time later. Remember there is no negative marking, so no harm in having a guess.

I hope that is useful. Do let me know if you have any questions... always happy to help!

UniAdmissions
Original post by Natalierm2707
Sadly this is very much below average (sorry if this is harsh). The average is usually somewhere around 620-630. With a score of 530 you really will struggle to get an interview any medical which heavily uses the ukcat. If you have very strong academics (mostly A*s, especially in the core subjects) then you could apply to some schools which dont use the UKCAT to much.

I personally would take the BMAT if I were you to give yourself a good chance because your UKCAT is well below what most med schools have as a cut off score (cut offs are usually above 650).

Sorry about being the bearer of bad news.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Last year the 'average' I believe was 570 ish for VR or something
But quite a few unis do use cutoffs higher than average...
Hi, I really want to apply to Edinburgh and I don't know if I have any chance of getting an offer. My scores are:
VR 590
QR 780
AR 880
STJ Band 1
I'm concerned about my VR score, it's a great deal lower than most of the TSR ones :frown: will it have a detrimental effect on my application? I'm an international student, I believe it's already quite disadvantageous.
How do you work out your score in the official mock tests on the UKCAT website?
Original post by alde123
How do you work out your score in the official mock tests on the UKCAT website?

You can use this document! :smile:
on the abstract reasoning on the real thing, do patterns like 'the number of sides altogether is 16 when the black shapes are counted twice' come up? I find these really frustrating, and ive seen many like this on medify/kaplan/isc/official practice tests. Also ive seen things like 'the triangle is worth 2 circles, square is worth 5 triangles, total no should add up to 20 circles' and things like that which are super annoying. Has anyone encountered such patterns on the real thing?
Could someone please explain to me this question? I am really confused.
Screen Shot 2016-08-16 at 17.49.02.png
HI. Is the isc medicall 600/1000 worth buying for the UKcat. Or is medify enough? Mines on the 9th September do you think I have enough time to practice cuz I've already done some Qs on the ukcat website
Just done my UKCAT. I only prepared using free material I could find online; I was worried about this because everyone on here seems to be using Medify and other paid resources. If anyone else is in the same boat and was wondering how people do without paying for courses, here is what I got:
VR: 640
QR: 890
AR: 600
SJT: Band 2

I know VR and AR aren't the best, but my QR brings up my average to 710, and I am happy with this :smile:
Original post by garlicbread23
HI. Is the isc medicall 600/1000 worth buying for the UKcat. Or is medify enough? Mines on the 9th September do you think I have enough time to practice cuz I've already done some Qs on the ukcat website

Nah, don't bother with the books, the questions are far too hard especially QR and AR. Just use medify. And yeah you've got enough time to practice as long as you're doing about 2 hours a day.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ronnydandam
Just did it.

VR:720
QR:820
AR:900
Band 1

VR: About as hard as official mock C, nothing as bad as everyone is saying, got about 3 T/F/CT
QR:colone:asier than anything I'd done in practice but the wording of a couple questions was weird.
AR: Really easy but did get quite a lot of the type 2,3,4 questions which I didn't practice enough!

Was quant easy? And can you give examples of what the abstract patterns were like? Were there usually only one or two relationships linking sets? And please tell me how it relates to and compares to the official mocks and medify. Thank you friend
Original post by Jitesh
Last year the 'average' I believe was 570 ish for VR or something
But quite a few unis do use cutoffs higher than average...

Yes thats for VR though, if you look on the UKCAT website they have a document showing the overall averages of the past few years and they were all around 620-630.
Most universities have cut offs higher than the average, just depends on the year and number of applicants.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sorry, got another quick question. Here why do we divide by 25000 and not 142000? Thanks!
Screen Shot 2016-08-16 at 18.10.33.png
Original post by natalia.medicine

Hi ive tried writing over the Question usingmy phone. Hope its all clear to you. :smile:
Original post by garlicbread23
Hi ive tried writing over the Question usingmy phone. Hope its all clear to you. :smile:

Thank you sooo much! I get it now. :smile:

Where's that Q from?
Original post by Jitesh
Where's that Q from?

The official mock B :smile:
The official mock B :smile:

Oh wow lol
Can someone please tell me if I still have a chance of getting in with my scores? Because I don't know if they're good enough?

VR:590
QR:740
AR:660
SJT: Band 2
(Total 1990)

Resources I used were the 1000Q book and UKCAT website mocks for about a week and a half
Craziest **** happened today. I am so sad. So today was the day I was supposed to do my UKCAT. Man slept at 8!!! I was ready guys. I turn up at the center 30 minutes in advance. We ready to kill it. I wait 1 hour. I hear furious clicking in the next room. Then that error sound. Turns out internet in Zambia is so *****y, they couldn't open the exam. So after waiting 2 hours to hopefully finish my exam, the exam center lady says I have to reschedule. Sad thing, school starts tomorrow. I am so pissed and sad :frown: :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending