The Student Room Group

"Disagreeing with homosexuality is not homophobic"

What are your thoughts, TSR?

Scroll to see replies

I'd say based on that statement that as long as the person in question is not being outwardly malicious or discriminating people because of their sexuality I do not see a problem.

People can disagree with peoples way of life if they want. Sure you cannot change your sexuality but I see no problem with disagreeing with Homosexuality aslong as they keep to to them self.
How tf can you disagree with homosexuality? It's a thing that happens, that's like disagreeing with gravity :lol:
Reply 3
Original post by Zargabaath
How tf can you disagree with homosexuality? It's a thing that happens, that's like disagreeing with gravity :lol:

homosexuals and practising homosexuals are different
Reply 4
No, I don't think that's homophobic, though a lot of people would disagree.
Just because I don't believe in Christianity, doesn't mean I hate all Christians...
Agree
Reply 6

Yes I completely agree. They aren't my words tbh
Reply 7
Saying you disagree with it is such a vague and meaningless position (for one, as already noted, it technically makes no sense). I think people who say this are generally trying to choose their words as nicely as possible, because "I think homosexual sexual activity is morally wrong" sounds a bit more judgemental
Original post by dnr_23
homosexuals and practising homosexuals are different

You make out like it's some philosophy they follow :lol:
It's an intrinsic aspect of a person. What you're saying is akin to
Men and practising men are different
Brown people amd practising brown people are different
Moved to society.

I think it isn't wrong to 'disagree' with it. You are entitled to your own opinions. What is wrong though... is to let your opinion define other fellow human beings. It is also wrong to then discriminate against someone because of your opinion and it is, furthermore, wrong to use religion as an excuse for downright unacceptable behaviour towards another living, human person with feelings. Sure, you can think being gay is 'wrong', you can think what you like. That's your prerogative. What you cannot do, what you must never do, is to make someone feel bad for being themselves, because that's when it's wrong.
It's not something to agree or disagree with, because being gay or straight doesn't have any moral implications at all. Disliking someone for something they can't help is immoral, however.
The act of disagreeing with something is not a problem at all.

It's what you do with them views that tends to be the problem.
Original post by a_bc
What are your thoughts, TSR?

You can't disagree with homosexuality. You agree or disagree to opinions or arguments. Homosexuality as a state of being is neither, it just exists. Disagreeing with it would be like disagreeing with the existence of a chair.
The statement makes no sense.Its like saying you disagree with people having green eyes.
Reply 14
You make out like it's some philosophy they follow :lol:
It's an intrinsic aspect of a person. What you're saying is akin to
Men and practising men are different
Brown people amd practising brown people are different

nah im not saying it like that

its easy to understand homosexuals are intrinsically gay and therefore nobody can really 'disagree' with it
but maybe people disagree with people who practise it i.e. perform sexual/romantic acts with people of the same gender/sex
I hate the word homophobic because most "homophobes" aren't actually scared of gay people.
There are some people that are scared of gay people. Most of those we call "homophobes" are just bigots.
Feel free to disagree with homosexuality, any part of LGBT community.
As much as their actions don't directly affect your life at all in any way feel free to have your thoughts and opinions.
But spewing hatred and vitriol, being abusive or discriminating, trying to deny people their rights, that's where I draw the line.
Reply 16
i personally agree it is not homophobic

i'm a christian and i believe it is wrong to practise homosexual sex, as well as heterosexual sex before marriage etc etc although i actually have had sex before marriage and regretted it massively

just because something is wrong and someone does it, doesnt mean i judge them for it, just as i hope other people wont judge me for having sex before i am married
Original post by dnr_23
nah im not saying it like that

its easy to understand homosexuals are intrinsically gay and therefore nobody can really 'disagree' with it
but maybe people disagree with people who practise it i.e. perform sexual/romantic acts with people of the same gender/sex

So, being gay is fine, but in doing so you must deny yourself of sex and romance, otherwise you're a disagreeable person. Logic...
Yeah they aren't the same thing, homophobic is where you are actively afraid of or hateful towards gay people, but many people who are straight disagree with gay people without venting their concerns in a hateful manner
Reply 19
Original post by WoodyMKC
So, being gay is fine, but in doing so you must deny yourself of sex and romance, otherwise you're a disagreeable person. Logic...

i dont think practising homosexuals are disagreeable people, i just dont advocate it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending