The Student Room Group

*:・゚✧ Should girls ask guys out?! *:・゚✧

Scroll to see replies

Original post by IvoryToast
I believe in equality, a society where only guys ask girls out is not equal or fair to either gender. This is 2016. If you like someone ask them out, stop sitting around expecting guys to do all the chasing.

Somebody say A-M-E-N to that!
Original post by Trinculo
I don't get the idea that girls don't do the asking because of any BS societal norms or any nonsense like that - they just don't do it because there's no point.

I mean, at school / college age, I remember a couple of girls doing the asking when they were super into a particular person, but I don't think anyone thought it was odd. At university it all goes out the window. You don't ask anyone out - you just wait until they're drunk and see if they want to make out - male or female.

I guess there is only real change at different stages of life. As you get older, you stop expecting to get spoon fed and you go out and get what you want. Obviously there are a few exceptions, but that generally does occur as you've pointed out in your comparison between secondary school / sixth form and university.
Original post by ColossalAtom
The guy, after he psyches himself up and gets badgered by his mates to do it.

That could actually be true. :curious:
Original post by thecatwithnohat
Somebody say A-M-E-N to that!

Somebody say F-R-I-D-A-Y-N-I-G-H-T-S-A-L-O-N-E to that.
As much as I would love to ask a guy out, I'm either too nervous for it or I fear rejection so I just pray he likes me back and will ask me instead :colondollar:
Everything you said is very true, especially the part about people just expecting others to know that they're into them. Even worse that they expect it when they're not giving signs of interest! Playing hard to get doesn't always play in one's favour! :mmm:

I don't think many guys - if any - would mind at all if the girl asked them out. It'd be quite refreshing I'm assuming.

All opinions are welcomed opinions! :h:

Thanks :smile: and that is true, sometimes ppl might think you are just being aloof or not interested.
Ik a boy who liked a girl for the entire second year and i told him repeatedly to ask her out and his response was 'that isnt how we do it these days' like what does that even mean.
needless to say she moved on and got a bf and he was hurt but if he never asked her how was she meant to know?
and lol well in that case i wouldn't mind either :smile: hypothetically i would ask the girl but idk if i would have the confidence, that is the only thing that would stop me, not tradition or anything :smile:
Original post by Trinculo
Somebody say F-R-I-D-A-Y-N-I-G-H-T-S-A-L-O-N-E to that.

Erm, hello???!? The person said that both genders should ask if they're interested!

Don't dampen the good vibes, pls. :colonhash:
I've never asked someone out before and I don't think I ever will just because I know the answer I get will be no
Rejection I think happens, but I'd rather ask a guy out and get rejected rather than wait to see if they ask me out.
I know right? It sucks, big time.

yep
Original post by saraxh
I'd like a guy to ask me out because i'd be nervous to ask them myself .

*me attempting to embed picture and failing*

if it's oppressive to expect women to wash the dishes and stay at home, as some believe, why isn't it oppressive to expect men to pay on dates and do all the initiating for the woman? doesn't this seem hypocritical? "I want the guy to ask me instead because I'm too scared" - what about "I want the woman to stay at home and do all the chores because I'm too lazy"?
(edited 7 years ago)
Yeah, would be nice to be honest but girls aren't expected to. I wish people would be more upfront about how they feel, cause you get a maximum century on this planet and you're wasting it waiting for something to happen, it's happened to me too. If a girl asked me out, I'd be incredibly flattered whether I like her or not, hope girls feel the same way :biggrin:
(edited 7 years ago)
I'm sure many of you have probably fancied someone at some point in your lives (if not, your time will come! :dumbells:) and wondered how to go about asking for a date or wondering whether you'll ever be asked to one.

With dating becoming such an 'in' thing with the creation of Tinder and other cheeky dating apps, more people are stepping out of their comfort zone and are being more open when displaying their interest in others.

According to match.com (that you can only sign up to if you're 18 or over sorry!) statistics, although cultural norms suggest that men should always do the asking, 91% of men who use the site are comfortable with women asking them out.

So lads, do you agree? Girls, would you form part of the askers? :mmm:

Girls? Would you rather have the guy ask you out or would you take the lead and ask first? If you've never asked a guy out before, would you consider it?

Guys? Would you rather ask a girl out or have one ask you? Why?
What do you all think?
Tell me, tell me, tell me! :teehee:

Yes of course 100% behind it. I've done it myself in the past.
Original post by junayd1998
lol the pressure the guy has to ask the girl lol

Yepp
I think the guy should ask the girl out

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 34
Always. Not that it would make a difference to me anyway. Girls don't even ask me what time it is

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tasha_tah
Yepp
I think the guy should ask the girl out

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
As much as I would love to ask a guy out, I'm either too nervous for it or I fear rejection so I just pray he likes me back and will ask me instead :colondollar:

I feel the same that's the thing :lol:

could end up with two people who like each other and are both too afraid so say anything...
Yes of course they can if they want.
You'd be surprised, plenty of girls have as much of a sexual drive as guys, they're just more discreet (and are assumed to to care more about the emotion in a relationship) about it! :innocent:

No they don't. This 'fact' is one of the most correct that I've ever seen, it's so stupid. Sure, maybe 1 girl in 100 has a hormone imbalance and is really horny. But the average guy is 10x hornier than the average girl.
I would rather the girl asked me out so then I wouldn't need to :laugh:

2 girls have asked me out before, and I've asked out 5 girls

Quick Reply

Latest