The Student Room Group

PHD or PGCE

I am in a dilemma whether I should do a PHD or a PGCE. I am a Mature student and have a daughter who is 5 year old. My husband is ready to shift anywhere in europe and start working, But we are in a dilemma as the teacher training for secondary maths also seem like a tedious process, I am not sure whether it will be as stressful as a PhD though
I imagine that a PhD will be more stressful than a PGCE. Perhaps not the first year, or even the second, but the third year is by all accounts manic. Do you want to be a teacher? If so, you need Qualified Teacher Status (QTS), you can get this either by doing a PGCE or by training on the job (SCITT).
Reply 2
You need to think what you want to do in the future and plan from there.
They are both stressful and rewarding in different ways.

I can see how your interest is in both or either. That's how I feel about my interest in education also.
Reply 4
Why not both?
Chalk and cheese. What do you want to do afterwards?
You could do your PhD followed by the Maths Chairs Programme? http://www.researchersinschools.org/researchers/maths-and-physics-uplift/
Reply 7
Thank you Mr.M but I think this is for someone who is just finishing their PhD , unless I am mistaken?
Original post by Mr M
You could do your PhD followed by the Maths Chairs Programme? http://www.researchersinschools.org/researchers/maths-and-physics-uplift/
Reply 8
In the long run, I really want to do something where I feel I am giving something back to the society, sounds cliched though..
Original post by Duncan2012
Chalk and cheese. What do you want to do afterwards?
Original post by mariatrivota
Thank you Mr.M but I think this is for someone who is just finishing their PhD , unless I am mistaken?

This is why I said you could follow a PhD with this programme.
Yes, of course :smile:
Original post by Mr M
This is why I said you could follow a PhD with this programme.
Original post by mariatrivota
In the long run, I really want to do something where I feel I am giving something back to the society, sounds cliched though..

Yes, but how? Policing and social work would also 'give back to society'.

I've only read your posts in this thread, and honestly it doesn't sound like you're particularly passionate about either a PhD or going in to teaching. Now I'm sure you do have your own motivations but it's impossible to give much sensible advice with the little information you've given us so far, sorry.
A PHD does not qualify you to be a teacher, but it would be very useful if you are considering a career as a lecturer or a researcher in a Higher Education setting. If you are wanting to become a teacher, you need to complete a PGCE or an alternative route such as School Direct or TeachFirst..

Quick Reply

Latest