AQA Physics PHYA5 - 28th June 2016 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1320
Original post by notanooblol
Applied, you?

I did astro, I'm hoping that it isnt going to be 60 for an A
Original post by boyyo
I did astro, I'm hoping that it isnt going to be 60 for an A

It won't be 60 for an A. They were predicting 60 for an A*, which sounds about right.
Reply 1322
Original post by marioman
It won't be 60 for an A. They were predicting 60 for an A*, which sounds about right.

Ohh yh right, didnt see that, thanks. Do you know what the A grade predictions were roughly
Original post by boyyo
Ohh yh right, didnt see that, thanks. Do you know what the A grade predictions were roughly

Just a really rough guess - 54/75 for an A with Astrophysics option?
I thought the Medical Physics Paper was quite nasty, especially that trigonometry question on the eye. Hoping boundaries for that are slightly lower hopefully 58 or 59/60 for an A*? Here's the question if anyone can help figure this out.

Two bright point sources of light are just resolved as individual images when viewed by a naked eye.

The sources subtend an angle of 0.13 mrad at the naked eye. The eyeball may be assumed to be spherical with a diameter of 52 mm.

Calculate the maximum diameter of the receptor used.

I dunno if this is correct:

For images to be resolved two stimulated retinal cells must be separated by one stimulated retinal cell.

Therefore, diameter of three retinal cells:

tan (0.13/1000) x (52/1000) = 6.76 x 10^-6 m [can also use sin (0.13/1000) because of small angle approximation]

Max diameter of receptor (retinal cell) = (6.76 x 10^-6 ) / 3 = 2.25 x 10^-6 m (3 sf)

Only issue with this method is that it assumes there is a right-angled triangle, but I think that's why it said maximum diameter
Reply 1325
Just a really rough guess - 54/75 for an A with Astrophysics option?

that seems about fair i guess. I think my worst case mark is probably 55/75, that would be 97/98 ums right?(assuming an A is 54)
Original post by boyyo
that seems about fair i guess. I think my worst case mark is probably 55/75, that would be 97/98 ums right?(assuming an A is 54)

Should be. Not long to wait until the actual boundaries come out now.
Reply 1327
Should be. Not long to wait until the actual boundaries come out now.

Yhh ikr :/ will it be out at midnight tonight, or later on wednseday?
Original post by boyyo
Yhh ikr :/ will it be out at midnight tonight, or later on wednseday?

From approximately 09:30 tomorrow morning according to AQA on Twitter.
Reply 1329
From approximately 09:30 tomorrow morning according to AQA on Twitter.

Thanks. Its gonna be so nerve racking looking at them
Well unit 5 option D boundaries are really nice...the unit 4 are okay but not great but it was an easyish exam....the isa boundaries are nasty but thats to be expected and i really dont see how unit 2 ishigher than last year!!!!??? Im sure people who did unit 2 will attest to this
Also, 41/55 for an A* in the EMPA? Seems really high compared to usual.
Also, 41/55 for an A* in the EMPA? Seems really high compared to usual.

I expected it to be that high tbh - task 1 was pretty difficult but task 2 was one of the easiest yet, I reckon.
Original post by tanyapotter
I expected it to be that high tbh - task 1 was pretty difficult but task 2 was one of the easiest yet, I reckon.

Task 2 was harrrrddd I was physically sweating after it, your gradient?
Original post by DesignPredator
Task 2 was harrrrddd I was physically sweating after it, your gradient?

i have a feeling it was -1.85? wbu?
i have a feeling it was -1.85? wbu?

-1.99, fack
Original post by DesignPredator
-1.99, fack

i think anything between -1.8 and -2.2 should be correct :smile: we'll see the mark scheme soon enough, though..
i think anything between -1.8 and -2.2 should be correct :smile: we'll see the mark scheme soon enough, though..

The EMPA ranges are always a *****
Anyone think the boundaries are unusually high or is it just me?
Original post by rory58824
Anyone think the boundaries are unusually high or is it just me?

Not really, Unit 4 was always going to be quite high since it was more straightforward than most previous papers. I'm just happy that full UMS is at 65 and not 69 or something!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending