The Student Room Group

House plants at uni - do you have one?

When I went to uni I took a cactus and an avocado plant with me. In a little way it helped with making me feel more at home.

Do you have a houseplant? Are you going to take it to uni? Have you already got it at uni? If so, please share a pic of it, I'll probably write a mini article about the best ones!
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I can't believe noone has answered.

My venus flytrap (Eric, I fed him bacon) died (possibly because of the bacon) before I went to university so I didn't have a plant...although it does seem like every university has an overpriced PLANT SALE in freshers week (that and posters!).
Reply 2
My friends had one but it died because they were always too drunk to look after it

Posted from TSR Mobile
I might be taking a basil plant (it's not a house plant, I know), because putting dried basil in pasta sauce just isn't the same :tongue:
Original post by Leviathan1741
I might be taking a basil plant (it's not a house plant

It is if you name it?
Original post by PQ
It is if you name it?

Is it? :smile:
I had sunflowers and also sea monkeys at uni. Wasn't sure whether they classed as pets so I hid them in my cupboard during house inspections (although I could have passed them off as a biology experiment). My friend on the other hand had spider plants ... they multiplied and she sold some off them for our society. They even had names!
Is it? :smile:

Definitely - you need to give it a name :yes:

Manuel? Sybil? Polly?
Reply 8
I'm thinking about getting a little chili plant to take for decor and use in cooking, but I'm not sure if it'd end up getting used as ammunition lel

defo gonna take something tho, it's a nice addition
Original post by Alexion
I'm thinking about getting a little chili plant to take for decor and use in cooking, but I'm not sure if it'd end up getting used as ammunition lel

I'm sure the idea of chilli infused vodka will deter people from using it as ammunition!
Original post by Twinpeaks
I'm sure the idea of chilli infused vodka will deter people from using it as ammunition!

ooooooooh nice idea :mmm:
Original post by Alexion
ooooooooh nice idea :mmm:

I know a guy who did it at uni, I do recommend :yep:
Original post by PQ

Manuel? Sybil? Polly?

Okay then! I shall call it Chris :h:
Original post by PQ

My venus flytrap (Eric, I fed him bacon) died (possibly because of the bacon) before I went to university so I didn't have a plant...although it does seem like every university has an overpriced PLANT SALE in freshers week (that and posters!).

Possibly a stupid question, but where do you buy venus flytraps from? I've never seen any for sale in the garden shops near me.
Original post by FishCakeSoup
Possibly a stupid question, but where do you buy venus flytraps from? I've never seen any for sale in the garden shops near me.

Mine was from a local bargain shop - but I've seen them in bigger garden centres with large houseplant sections. They're only tiny though - the smallest carnivorous plants usually on sale.
Original post by PQ

I know, here I was thinking all students love house plants :lol:

Venus fly traps are tricky as they need pure rain water.

Original post by UWS
My friends had one but it died because they were always too drunk to look after it

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same happened to mine but they still arrived at uni at least. Actually, that's a lie, they were snapped in alcohol related incidents. But that's the point of plants, replaceable.

I might be taking a basil plant (it's not a house plant, I know), because putting dried basil in pasta sauce just isn't the same :tongue:

Good idea. Get a pack of seeds and just keep growing them as the plants don't last very long.

Original post by 2007PSanHa
I had sunflowers and also sea monkeys at uni. Wasn't sure whether they classed as pets so I hid them in my cupboard during house inspections (although I could have passed them off as a biology experiment). My friend on the other hand had spider plants ... they multiplied and she sold some off them for our society. They even had names!

Ooh very cool. Sea monkeys and spider plants. Amazing.

Original post by Alexion

Good idea. Same thing again, I'd recommend just getting some seeds to sow them again and again. Super easy but they do die off in winter. Worth it for the chillis.
Reply 16
Original post by PQ

Manuel? Sybil? Polly?

Okay then! I shall call it Chris :h:

All basil plants should be called Ivan. And if you don't get the joke I'm very disappointed.
For a while I wanted to have a cactus to take to uni with me in september. about a week ago my bestie surprised me with 2 baby cacti, potted and everything.

My bed is pressed right up against my window (the only window in my room) and my sheets are plain bright white.

I ran up to my room to put my cacti on my window sill but before I even reached it I tripped over my rug (typical clumsy blonde that I am) and dropped one of the cacti. On my freshly washed white bedding. Soil everywhere. Not to mention I had stubbed my toe on the bed post as I fell so the whole situation was a lot more sweary.

A couple of nights ago, after having just watered my new cacti, I hopped out of bed for a glass of water. I was as fast as possible so I wouldnt lose any of that snuggly bed heat from the duvet, and as I pulled my duvet back over me, behold my cacti (the same one that was dropped earlier) came flying with my sheets, hooked on for dear life. This time it was 1 am. I had soggy soil everywhere, dirty brown bed sheets that were soaking. I couldnt be bothered to change them, not at that time. So my suicidal cactus got an incredibly comfy night sleep whilst I slept on the floor with a blanket, picking the spikes out of my fingers from my brief (failed) attempt to pick it up.

I still love my cacti. This will not be the last time it falls into my bed either.
In my Uni house for 2nd year, I want to put a plant in the living room window, to block the rather unsightly view from it. I think it would improve the the room a lot. Thinking a spider plant might do the trick, but does anyone have any suggestions for a plant that would do the trick?

I hope I can convince everyone else in the house we need one.:redface:
Original post by AsphodelMist
For a while I wanted to have a cactus to take to uni with me in september. about a week ago my bestie surprised me with 2 baby cacti, potted and everything.

My bed is pressed right up against my window (the only window in my room) and my sheets are plain bright white.

I ran up to my room to put my cacti on my window sill but before I even reached it I tripped over my rug (typical clumsy blonde that I am) and dropped one of the cacti. On my freshly washed white bedding. Soil everywhere. Not to mention I had stubbed my toe on the bed post as I fell so the whole situation was a lot more sweary.

A couple of nights ago, after having just watered my new cacti, I hopped out of bed for a glass of water. I was as fast as possible so I wouldnt lose any of that snuggly bed heat from the duvet, and as I pulled my duvet back over me, behold my cacti (the same one that was dropped earlier) came flying with my sheets, hooked on for dear life. This time it was 1 am. I had soggy soil everywhere, dirty brown bed sheets that were soaking. I couldnt be bothered to change them, not at that time. So my suicidal cactus got an incredibly comfy night sleep whilst I slept on the floor with a blanket, picking the spikes out of my fingers from my brief (failed) attempt to pick it up.

I still love my cacti. This will not be the last time it falls into my bed either.

:lol: :lol: oh dear! At least your cactus loves you, it just wants a spiney cuddle!! :biggrin: Maybe get a heavier pot to weight it down... as long as that doesn't fall too and knock you out!

Original post by WilliamsQI
In my Uni house for 2nd year, I want to put a plant in the living room window, to block the rather unsightly view from it. I think it would improve the the room a lot. Thinking a spider plant might do the trick, but does anyone have any suggestions for a plant that would do the trick?

I hope I can convince everyone else in the house we need one.:redface:

Spider plant is good, how sunny is the window, does it get direct sunshine?

Quick Reply

Latest