The Student Room Group

Maximum Working hours???

Hello,

I'm 17 and I'm currently doing a 35 hour apprenticeship, at a transport company working only Monday - Friday, before i got the apprenticeship I worked at B&M shop part time on the weekends, but a week before I started my apprenticeship I left as i was unsure if i could cope with both, now I've been at my apprenticeship for a few months, I've decided I could easily cope with both.

But now im just wondering if it is Legal to do both of them jobs at the same time, Apprenticeship Mon - Fri 9 - 5 and B&M Sat - Sun probs around 4 hours each day?

I spoke to the manager in B&M about it and he said I was a hard worker and would happily give me my old job back. just wondering if it was possible.

Did some research on maximum working hours and noticed in the past i had done more than the Maximum, but that was an outdated website back from 2009.

Thanks
Ryan
Original post by Hollix11
Hello,

I'm 17 and I'm currently doing a 35 hour apprenticeship, at a transport company working only Monday - Friday, before i got the apprenticeship I worked at B&M shop part time on the weekends, but a week before I started my apprenticeship I left as i was unsure if i could cope with both, now I've been at my apprenticeship for a few months, I've decided I could easily cope with both.

But now im just wondering if it is Legal to do both of them jobs at the same time, Apprenticeship Mon - Fri 9 - 5 and B&M Sat - Sun probs around 4 hours each day?

I spoke to the manager in B&M about it and he said I was a hard worker and would happily give me my old job back. just wondering if it was possible.

Did some research on maximum working hours and noticed in the past i had done more than the Maximum, but that was an outdated website back from 2009.

Thanks
Ryan

According to: https://www.gov.uk/maximum-weekly-working-hours/overview

You can't work more than 40 hours a week if you're under 18.'Your working hours can’t be averaged out if you’re under 18. You can’t work more than 40 hours in any one week.'

But take a look there :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by amingo26
According to: https://www.gov.uk/maximum-weekly-working-hours/overview

You can't work more than 40 hours a week if you're under 18.'Your working hours can’t be averaged out if you’re under 18. You can’t work more than 40 hours in any one week.'

But take a look there :smile:

Thanks for the Reply! :smile:

I'm unsure now as when I used to work at B&M when I was 16 I worked 10 Hour shifts on a few occasions, so I'm very confused by this, If i was found out to be working more than the limit, what will happen? :s-smilie:
Thanks for the Reply! :smile:

I'm unsure now as when I used to work at B&M when I was 16 I worked 10 Hour shifts on a few occasions, so I'm very confused by this, If i was found out to be working more than the limit, what will happen? :s-smilie:

Nothing to you... it would be your employers that would get the telling off and a fine most likely.

I used to work in finance and I used to die to get over time but I already worked 40 hours a week and being 17 they weren't prepared to offer me anymore hours over 40. Could have made some good cash with double time haha
Reply 4
Thanks for the replys, Very Helpful! 😊
Thanks for the replys, Very Helpful! 😊

No worries! :smile:

It's illegal for an employer to make you work more than the limit. if you choose to do multiple jobs so that your hours rack up, that's fine, so long as your performance isn't impaired. There are exceptions, if you are a professional driver for example, and if an employer finds out, they can ask you to stop doing the other job, or even decide it's not safe and fire you/reduce your hours they have a duty of care to your and workplace safety. But basically, the working hours relate to the employer, not to the employee.
Reply 7
Original post by threeportdrift
It's illegal for an employer to make you work more than the limit. if you choose to do multiple jobs so that your hours rack up, that's fine, so long as your performance isn't impaired. There are exceptions, if you are a professional driver for example, and if an employer finds out, they can ask you to stop doing the other job, or even decide it's not safe and fire you/reduce your hours they have a duty of care to your and workplace safety. But basically, the working hours relate to the employer, not to the employee.

Both are customer service jobs and both are very relaxed, personally I don't think I'll have any problems doing this

Nobody's making me, I asked for it

Would be 35 hours with my apprenticeship and probably around 8 on the part time job.
Both are customer service jobs and both are very relaxed, personally I don't think I'll have any problems doing this

Nobody's making me, I asked for it

Would be 35 hours with my apprenticeship and probably around 8 on the part time job.

Then it's entirely up to you to cope professionally. Neither employer is obliged to consider the effort you are putting in elsewhere, so it's up to you. However, many many people do 40 hour weeks, and quite a lot do 60+ so it is doable. Just get yourself organised, plan ahead and don't waste time faffing, because even having fun will have to be a bit scheduled. But if it works out in the longer term, because you end up with both money and skills/qualifications then great.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending