The Student Room Group

Reapplying to Oxford; What are my chances of getting in?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by busterposey
Yeah that makes sense, your English is way too good to have just been learnt at school haha.

Best of luck with your application and stuff mate, sure you'll smash it!

Thankies! :smile: I hope I'll do well enough. Mind if I PM you if I have any trouble?
Reply 21
Original post by JNDSAN
from what youve written i think youll regret it if you dont apply so i 100% would, at least youll know then. your academics are excellent and if youre c1 in german youll be fine in the MLAT i gaurantee it, the MLAT is just some kind of (relatively) basic grammar like cases declensions, articles conjugations etc. apply for whatever you want , it wont make any difference, if they think youre only good enough for one then they may offer you for a different course - the gap year wont make a difference! it really wont, apply. good luck!

Thanks for the response. I'm a bit worried about the vocabulary, I haven't used German as much as English lately, but by the time we're in November, I will have already stayed in Vienna for a month, so maybe being in contact with the language will help me a bit
Original post by Rhaenys10
Thankies! :smile: I hope I'll do well enough. Mind if I PM you if I have any trouble?

No of course not, that's absolutely fine!
Thanks for the response. I'm a bit worried about the vocabulary, I haven't used German as much as English lately, but by the time we're in November, I will have already stayed in Vienna for a month, so maybe being in contact with the language will help me a bit

the mlat really isnt a vocabulary test, the vocabulary aspect is ok, its the grammar rule you need to focus on , good luck
Reply 24
Original post by JNDSAN
the mlat really isnt a vocabulary test, the vocabulary aspect is ok, its the grammar rule you need to focus on , good luck

Yeah I know, but you also have to translate some stuff, and you obviously gotta know what each word means..
Yeah I know, but you also have to translate some stuff, and you obviously gotta know what each word means..

mate if youre actually c1 level german i.e. fluent and one level below native then the A level vocabulary used shouldnt be an issue
Reply 26
Original post by JNDSAN
mate if youre actually c1 level german i.e. fluent and one level below native then the A level vocabulary used shouldnt be an issue

Yeah I guess you're right. Honestly, I don't really know what A level vocab is all about. Anyway, I've always been a bit anxious about my German, and that's because I tend to compare it to my English..
Reply 27
Yeah I guess you're right. Honestly, I don't really know what A level vocab is all about. Anyway, I've always been a bit anxious about my German, and that's because I tend to compare it to my English..

Just look at the past papers of German language at A level (if they even exist).
Do not worry you will get in!
Reply 28
Original post by BioOx
Just look at the past papers of German language at A level (if they even exist).
Do not worry you will get in!

Thanks for the tip.. I'm pretty surprised there aren't any ELAT and MLAT past papers around here either.. there's only one of each on the official website. There used to be a lot of them for the TSA.
Hi, I've just finished my degree in German and Spanish at Magdalen (one of those "pretty colleges rammed with posh people" :wink: - please ignore that particular piece of advice because it makes no difference) and am very willing to help you. I haven't read through the whole thread but I'm happy to share my written work/personal statement and any advice I can offer.*

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending