The Student Room Group

Medicine 2017 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by shohaib712
Is it worth applying for medicine if my gcse grades are bad (couple of A's and mostly B's) But my AS grades & predicted grades are better (higher)?

Yes, but you will have to research each med school's requirements and you will be up against stiff competition - eg imperial has no GCSE requirements BUT want a mad BMAT. Leeds only asks for 6 Bs although I'm not sure how they assess everything else.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Natalierm2707
It will depend on this years average. Just avoid incredibly UKCAT heavy schools such as glasgow, newcastle, southampton etc. Avoid edinburgh also due to lower UKCAT and band 2 SJT.
Go through the rest of the med schools and look at their scoring systems to see if you meet their requirements and are likely to get an interview.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey,

how long does one usually start preparing before for the UKCAT? And also roughly how long each day?

Thanks so much - SO SCARED
Is it worth applying for medicine if my gcse grades are bad (couple of A's and mostly B's) But my AS grades & predicted grades are better (higher)?

Yes but make sure you go through every single med schools minimum requirements and admissions policies to make sure you are applying to schools which place much less emphasis on the GCSE grades.

100% out of the bat i can say you are not likely to gain an interview at birmingham, SGUL, cardiff, QUB, southampton, liverpool, lancaster, st andrews, manchester, nottingham, liecester.

Have a look at places such as newcastle, imperial, leeds, glasgow

You will most likely need amazing A2 predictions, a really strong UKCAT/good BMAT to have a good chance.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by .....Jeff458
Hey,

how long does one usually start preparing before for the UKCAT? And also roughly how long each day?

Thanks so much - SO SCARED

It depends on the person. I would say between 3 and 4 weeks prior to the UKCAT, and do between 1 and 2 hours per day at first, i did increase this as it got closer but be aware that if you go to hard you may run out of resources.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It depends on the person. I would say between 3 and 4 weeks prior to the UKCAT, and do between 1 and 2 hours per day at first, i did increase this as it got closer but be aware that if you go to hard you may run out of resources.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are the UKCAT practice tests on the official website similar to the real thing because Im finding that medify is a bit easier

Posted from TSR Mobile

What was your peak for no. of hours studying?

Are you a med student if you don't mind me asking?
Original post by hashman
Are the UKCAT practice tests on the official website similar to the real thing because Im finding that medify is a bit easier

Medify for me was about the same apart from VR which was easier.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by .....Jeff458
What was your peak for no. of hours studying?

Are you a med student if you don't mind me asking?

Probably 4 the couple or days before.

Yes im going into second year at cardiff.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Medify for me was about the same apart from VR which was easier.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you ever so much :biggrin:
Yes but make sure you go through every single med schools minimum requirements and admissions policies to make sure you are applying to schools which place much less emphasis on the GCSE grades.

100% out of the bat i can say you are not likely to gain an interview at birmingham, SGUL, cardiff, QUB, southampton, liverpool, lancaster, st andrews, manchester, nottingham, liecester.

Have a look at places such as newcastle, imperial, leeds, glasgow

You will most likely need amazing A2 predictions, a really strong UKCAT/good BMAT to have a good chance.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the honesty and what can I do to increase my predicted grades?
I haven't got my GCSE results yet (I;m starting AS in september) but I have already revised chemisty modules 1 and 2 for Alevels.
Thanks for the honesty and what can I do to increase my predicted grades?
I haven't got my GCSE results yet (I;m starting AS in september) but I have already revised chemisty modules 1 and 2 for Alevels.

ensure you take your mocks seriously and revise/review as you go along!
Also make sure you revise properly for the UKCAT or BMAT.

Dont worry to much yet though as your GCSE results may suprise you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
ensure you take your mocks seriously and revise/review as you go along!
Also make sure you revise properly for the UKCAT or BMAT.

Dont worry to much yet though as your GCSE results may suprise you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you so much for the help! Last question: Should I be worried about work experience now?
Thank you so much for the help! Last question: Should I be worried about work experience now?

Yes of course! Why not start now, it saves you worrying when it comes to revising for the UKCAT and writing your personal statement. Also it can take a long time to get work experience or voluntary work as they will need DBS checks.

Have a look around and see if you can get some now. The earlier the start the more chance you have at getting in before other people.
Yes of course! Why not start now, it saves you worrying when it comes to revising for the UKCAT and writing your personal statement. Also it can take a long time to get work experience or voluntary work as they will need DBS checks.

Have a look around and see if you can get some now. The earlier the start the more chance you have at getting in before other people.

Okay! I'll apply to my local hospital and GP and see what happens. Should I write a letter to my GP because they don't offer applications online?
Okay! I'll apply to my local hospital and GP and see what happens. Should I write a letter to my GP because they don't offer applications online?

Yes write a letter explaining your hoping to apply to medicine for 2018 entry and would really like to gain some vital experience of what it is like to be a GP in todays NHS to see if the career is right for you.
Which medical schools focus the most on GCSE results??
Original post by nellyelephant
Which medical schools focus the most on GCSE results??

Cardiff, QUB, Birmingham, Edinburgh, Oxford are what I would class as GCSE heavy.

a lot of other med schools require high GCSE grades to so ensure you have a look closely at these if you want to apply to them: Nottingham, HYMS, Liverpool, Lancaster, HYMS, SGUL, St Andrews, Kings, Southampton.
(edited 7 years ago)
Is Bristol GCSE heavy?
Cardiff, QUB, Birmingham, Edinburgh, Oxford are what I would class as GCSE heavy.

a lot of other med schools require high GCSE grades to so ensure you have a look closely at these if you want to apply to them: Nottingham, HYMS, Liverpool, Lancaster, HYMS, SGUL, Bristol, St Andrews, Kings, Southampton.

I thought Bristol was heavily reliant on personal statements
Original post by Dandie12
I thought Bristol was heavily reliant on personal statements

Sorry I have edited the OP, not sure why I put bristol there im getting a bit carried away!

Quick Reply

Latest