The Student Room Group

Official AS & A2 Results Day 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MessyEffy
LOOOOOOL this made me laugh because you're not even exaggerating:biggrin:

:wink:
Original post by popo111
Would you mind elaborating why?

Formally: Cambridge have a few studies that show that AS and A-Level performance have very bad correlation for the mathematics degree there, even GCSE performance has a better correlation. STEP performance however, has the highest correlation for any subject ever. Something like ~50%.

Common sense: would you rather distinguish candidates based on a test that consists of sitting down, writing some crap that demonstrates no understanding whatsoever of mathematics and get an easy A* that literally half the candidature get and literally 99% of the maths applicants will be getting A*A*A - A*A*A* effortlessly or a test with which only 160 of your offer holders can get a decent grade and filters the candidature to an reasonably modest level by not only being an extremely difficult test aimed at the top 2% of the a-level mathematicians, that requires actual thought, creativity and mathematical ingenuity but also by allowing admissions tutors to view the actual scripts of the candidates to see their thought process.

tl;dr an idiot could get an A*A* in maths and further maths, STEP requires actual talent. Cambridge wants actual talent, not idiots.
Original post by NatoHeadshot
2 actually haha just wanted opinions cause I'm nervous

Just relax whats done is done now that cant be changed but always hope for the best
I can understand ur nervousness as I myself am very nervous for AS physics cuz my unit 2 was extremely bad and physics is a subject i loved
The grade boundaries for AQA are accessible to everyone at 8am, however teachers with access to e-aqa get the grade boundaries at midnight. Will someone with access to e-aqa post them here shortly after midnight?
Born too late to explore the earth. Born too early to explore the universe. Born just in time to get screwed over by Ofqual...
Original post by Asmodaen
Born too late to explore the earth. Born too early to explore the universe. Born just in time to get screwed over by Ofqual...

^ this

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zacken
Formally: Cambridge have a few studies that show that AS and A-Level performance have very bad correlation for the mathematics degree there, even GCSE performance has a better correlation. STEP performance however, has the highest correlation for any subject ever. Something like ~50%.

Common sense: would you rather distinguish candidates based on a test that consists of sitting down, writing some crap that demonstrates no understanding whatsoever of mathematics and get an easy A* that literally half the candidature get and literally 99% of the maths applicants will be getting A*A*A - A*A*A* effortlessly or a test with which only 160 of your offer holders can get a decent grade and filters the candidature to an reasonably modest level by not only being an extremely difficult test aimed at the top 2% of the a-level mathematicians, that requires actual thought, creativity and mathematical ingenuity but also by allowing admissions tutors to view the actual scripts of the candidates to see their thought process.

tl;dr an idiot could get an A*A* in maths and further maths, STEP requires actual talent. Cambridge wants actual talent, not idiots.

looks like we're all idiots lads even if we get straight A*s, might as well give up hope now
Original post by Qcomber
The grade boundaries for AQA are accessible to everyone at 8am, however teachers with access to e-aqa get the grade boundaries at midnight. Will someone with access to e-aqa post them here shortly after midnight?

I asked my teacher...she said she'll be sleeping lol. Thanks.
Original post by gregsonog
looks like we're all idiots lads even if we get straight A*s, might as well give up hope now

Relative to cambridge mathematicians so no, your not.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by a_bc
is it just me or does this sound slightly arrogant

No it doesn't just facts about Cambridge maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by a_bc

In what way?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by gregsonog

I'm safe on two counts

I couldn't get A*A* in maths and further maths (behold my mighty C grade in Maths :p: ) and I'm not a lad
Original post by a_bc

It is arrogant but they can do what they want.
Original post by a_bc

cheers mate, probably had an arrogant tone to it 'cause I'm in a bad mood and it's late at night for me. Still all true though.
3 hours 20 minutes until grade boundaries guys 😁

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sumaiyya1999
Just relax whats done is done now that cant be changed but always hope for the best
I can understand ur nervousness as I myself am very nervous for AS physics cuz my unit 2 was extremely bad and physics is a subject i loved

Physics lover here myself, sorry to here about your exam I really hope you score the grade you want and the boundaries are nice to you!
Thanks for your advice
What do you plan on studying?
Who else here is staying up till midnight for the Edexcel grade boundaries?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Don Joiner
Who else here is staying up till midnight for the Edexcel grade boundaries?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do all AS grade boundaries get released tonight????
Original post by IRoranth
Do all AS grade boundaries get released tonight????

Edexcel do, AQA in the morning, not sure about other boards

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zacken
cheers mate, probably had an arrogant tone to it 'cause I'm in a bad mood and it's late at night for me. Still all true though.

are you aiming for all A*s?

Quick Reply

Latest