The Student Room Group

SQA Higher English REMARK Enquiry and Discussion

Hi, I got a B in English when I was predicted an A. I am 6 marks off the A so I didn't do very well and I am incredibly disappointed. My teacher said my folio essays were excellent and I could expect to be in the 13-15 mark range but in reality, I only got 15/30 in both essays together. Should I try for a remark or is the six mark range a long shot? Surely if my teacher said my essays were in the 13-15 mark range, I could manage the six mark jump? Or should I just accept that my teacher's opinion is completely not in line with the SQA standards and take my disappointing grade on the chin? Thanks.Also, please post your remark stories if you want! (especially if you were quite a few marks off your grade).
Original post by GJK98
Hi, I got a B in English when I was predicted an A. I am 6 marks off the A so I didn't do very well and I am incredibly disappointed. My teacher said my folio essays were excellent and I could expect to be in the 13-15 mark range but in reality, I only got 15/30 in both essays together. Should I try for a remark or is the six mark range a long shot? Surely if my teacher said my essays were in the 13-15 mark range, I could manage the six mark jump? Or should I just accept that my teacher's opinion is completely not in line with the SQA standards and take my disappointing grade on the chin? Thanks.Also, please post your remark stories if you want! (especially if you were quite a few marks off your grade).

I think that the marking was quite harsh for Higher English this year :s-smilie: Although 6 marks seems like quite a lot and I'm not sure whether a remark would put you up that many marks, but you can always try if you and your school feel like you should have done better. I'm going for a remark in Higher Art too so I understand your frustration :redface:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by rebeccas23
I think that the marking was quite harsh for Higher English this year :s-smilie: Although 6 marks seems like quite a lot and I'm not sure whether a remark would put you up that many marks, but you can always try if you and your school feel like you should have done a better. I'm going for a remark in Higher Art too so I understand your frustration :redface:

Yeah, it's horrible when you don't achieve the results you expected (especially for a subject you're passionate about), even worse when you're stuck in limbo to see if the school will bother asking the SQA for a remark.

Good luck for your remark in Art!
Original post by GJK98
Yeah, it's horrible when you don't achieve the results you expected (especially for a subject you're passionate about), even worse when you're stuck in limbo to see if the school will bother asking the SQA for a remark.

Good luck for your remark in Art!

I know how you feel, Art was always the "easy A" for me at Nat 5 so it was a bit of a shock to the system... fingers crossed my grade could change though :colondollar: I wish they still had the appeal system in place, that would make things so much easier
Reply 4
Hiya,

I was 5 marks off an A. I got an A in my prelim and like you, was predicted the highest bracket for both my essays and got 19/30.

Thankfully, my university only wanted me to have a C so I have left it.

But since english is subjective, if you think an A will help you move on with your future, then I would apply. It is really up to which course you're wanting to take now or if you have already been accepted to a university, then your degree would trump all anyway.

Well done on your grade, english was harshly marked this year and the mark was dropped by quite a fair few compared to last year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending