The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

I was thinking bristol and barts?
Original post by Natalierm2707
Depends on whether the average goes up this year. May be a bit risky for newcastle, southampton and glasgow if the average goes up. SJT band 3 will probably be to low for edinburgh. Also remember that some med schools use the SJT band to replace an interview station, so if you can avoid those places unless your confident.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by julesaquilina

I would say it would be good for bristol as they only use it as 10%.
For barts it would depend on your UCAS points

Posted from TSR Mobile
I would say it would be good for bristol as they only use it as 10%.
For barts it would depend on your UCAS points

Posted from TSR Mobile

What about Edinburgh? What's a good score for them? I know that they want band 1 in SJT.
Original post by natalia.medicine
What about Edinburgh? What's a good score for them? I know that they want band 1 in SJT.

No, i would completely avoid as im pretty sure the UKCAT and SJT would drop you at least 3 points if not more, you would then need a completely outstanding personal statement and academic score to get an interview, its not worth the risk in my opinion considering how many amazing applicants edinburgh reject each year for silly things like this.

I would personally say to be very safe at edinburgh you would need 750 with sjt band 1. Obviously people get in with less but often they will have full academic scores.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Sadly this is very much below average (sorry if this is harsh). The average is usually somewhere around 620-630. With a score of 530 you really will struggle to get an interview any medical which heavily uses the ukcat. If you have very strong academics (mostly A*s, especially in the core subjects) then you could apply to some schools which dont use the UKCAT to much.

I personally would take the BMAT if I were you to give yourself a good chance because your UKCAT is well below what most med schools have as a cut off score (cut offs are usually above 650).

Sorry about being the bearer of bad news.

Posted from TSR Mobile[/QUO
Hi do you know best Uni's to apply for with a UKAT of 653? Any help would be appreciatedTE].
[QUOTE="tee;66976518" Charms="Charms"]
Sadly this is very much below average (sorry if this is harsh). The average is usually somewhere around 620-630. With a score of 530 you really will struggle to get an interview any medical which heavily uses the ukcat. If you have very strong academics (mostly A*s, especially in the core subjects) then you could apply to some schools which dont use the UKCAT to much.

I personally would take the BMAT if I were you to give yourself a good chance because your UKCAT is well below what most med schools have as a cut off score (cut offs are usually above 650).

Sorry about being the bearer of bad news.

Posted from TSR Mobile[/QUO
Hi do you know best Uni's to apply for with a UKAT of 653? Any help would be appreciatedTE].

It honestly depends a lot on your other stats, your best idea is to go through each admissions document and calculate your score or see if you would meet requirements in previous years.

You know the score though, avoid newcastle, exeter, southampton, Glasgow. Be careful with kings and barts, liecester and nottingham dependant on your academics.
Also be wary of places like manchester.

Places like cardiff, liverpool, birmingham,QUB, SGUL, bristol, Uae may be a good idea if your academics and UKCAT can push you to a good pre-interview score.

If you are willing as well i would probably throw 1 BMAT choice in there.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by lukemanjan
Hi,
I did the Kaplan mock last week and got 900 (35/36) in QR but just did official UKCAT mock a and got 430 (9/36) in this section. This has really worried me and i am starting to panic knowing that my UKCAT is a couple of days away!!!
HELP!!!

Dont panic, keep practising! You cant be perfect each time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by natalia.medicine

Around 730+ is needed with the exception of 2014 where it was unusually high at 750+
Reply 2388
Hey

I got a 667 average and Band 2 SJT in UKCAT.
Is this enough for an interview at Leicester, Birmingham and Barts?
My GCSEs are 8A*s, 2As and 2 Distinction*s
(Planning to do BMAT as well)

Thanks in advance
(edited 7 years ago)
Does situational judgement make up less of the test? Like is it weighted less? Does it contribute to the number score at all or do we just get band 1/2/3/4?
Original post by 21957
Hey

I got a 667 average in UKCAT.

Thanks in advance

Well done! You can find out about Birmingham by using their calculator: http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/schools/medical-school/medicine-application-score-calculator.xlsx
Original post by helloimastudent
gosh that is so good! how many hours of preparation have you done?

I started on July 8th and my exam is next Tuesday and probably did about 2 hours a day until last week, where I started to do about 5 hours a day. The funny thing is that even though Ive done so much preparation, I still don't feel confident and I'm still not scoring consistently. This has been the most stressful period of my life. The UKCAT is questioning my existence atm lol.
Original post by ib_hopeful
Does situational judgement make up less of the test? Like is it weighted less? Does it contribute to the number score at all or do we just get band 1/2/3/4?

Hi ib_hopeful

The SJT (non-cognitive) is considered in a different manner to the other sections (cognitive) and doesn't contribute towards your numerical score. The scores for SJT are given to you as a band, with one being the highest.

Hope that is useful. Do let me know if you have any questions... always happy to help!

UniAdmissions
Reply 2393
Original post by Jammie123
Well done! You can find out about Birmingham by using their calculator: http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/schools/medical-school/medicine-application-score-calculator.xlsx

Thanks. My score is 7.75 out of 9 for Birmingham. Hopefully that is enough. How did your ukcat go ?
Original post by clairebear101
That reassures me so much as i am scoring about that in mocks too :smile: I am just worried about the VR as everyone is struggling, and i already struggle at it haha! are they ALL really long questions and statements and confusing text??

I think I had about 2-3 t/f/ct questions and the rest were comprehensive which sucked lol but tbh I wasn't focusing properly so as long as you are focused you should be good! Also try to do well in the other two sections to pull up your average score. The other two sections were beautiful this year :biggrin:
Original post by 21957
Thanks. My score is 7.75 out of 9 for Birmingham. Hopefully that is enough. How did your ukcat go ?

That's a good score, well done again. I haven't got mine until the 10th September. I am regretting doing it so late now, eugh. Ah well, hopefully, it will be okay. :smile:

I am looking to apply to Birmingham and Barts as well! :smile:

Hey! You seem to know a lot about this stuff, could you help me please? I got an average of 686 and band 3, do you think I could get into Southampton? If not which Uni's would you recommend? Thanks :smile:
Reply 2397
Original post by Jammie123
That's a good score, well done again. I haven't got mine until the 10th September. I am regretting doing it so late now, eugh. Ah well, hopefully, it will be okay. :smile:

I am looking to apply to Birmingham and Barts as well! :smile:

Thank you!
Ah ok... I'm sure you'll do great.
What did you get at GCSEs, if you don't mind me asking?
Original post by 21957
Hey

I got a 667 average and Band 2 SJT in UKCAT.

Thanks in advance

Nobody could tell you whether it will be enough yet as the UKCAT averages change year on year.
You can actually calculate your score for each of these medical schools on their websites so go away and do that, the previous years cutoffs are available so you can compare your score.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 21957
Thank you!
Ah ok... I'm sure you'll do great.
What did you get at GCSEs, if you don't mind me asking?

Thank you. I got 5A*s 4As 1A* Distinction and 2As at AS Level for IT and Maths.
What are you taking for AS, other than Chemistry of course? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending