The Student Room Group

Best (and not too expensive!) cities for a weekend away?

Hey :smile:

I'd quite like to go on a city break with my boyfriend for my 21st Birthday (not until January). I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations? :h: I'm open to any suggestions!

Paris by the eurostar tbh I'm sure its not too expensive
Are you thinking Uk or Abroad?

Original post by Changing Skies
Hey :smile:

I'd quite like to go on a city break with my boyfriend for my 21st Birthday (not until January). I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations? :h: I'm open to any suggestions!

Original post by saraxh
Paris by the eurostar tbh I'm sure its not too expensive

Definitely considering Paris :biggrin: thanks!
Original post by claireestelle
Are you thinking Uk or Abroad?

I'd quite like to go abroad because I'm desperate to visit more countries! But I'm also very much so open to the UK :h:
I personally loved Glasgow. You can sometimes get a return train from Liverpool really cheap, and there are some nice and cheap B&Bs in Glasgow. I recommend the Kelvingrove area. Just gorgeous.

Eurostar to Paris is a nice idea if you manage to book a cheap train. But every time I've looked it's always been too expensive for a return for me, especially since that is from London and you'd also need to pay to get to London too and back. Also accommodations is super expensive in Paris. :/
Reply 5
Budapest is super cheap definitely worth looking at
Definitely considering Paris :biggrin: thanks!

I'd quite like to go abroad because I'm desperate to visit more countries! But I'm also very much so open to the UK :h:

I d say maybe go to London, you can get cheap 1st class tickets if you book 3 months before and there's plenty to see. Whereas Paris is great for weekends but the Eurostar will be at least £70 each at best but depends on your budget really :smile: (we spent two nights there last year and could have done with an extra day really)
Original post by SophieSmall
I personally loved Glasgow. You can sometimes get a return train from Liverpool really cheap, and there are some nice and cheap B&Bs in Glasgow. I recommend the Kelvingrove area. Just gorgeous.

Eurostar to Paris is a nice idea if you manage to book a cheap train. But every time I've looked it's always been too expensive for a return for me, especially since that is from London and you'd also need to pay to get to London too and back. Also accommodations is super expensive in Paris. :/

Manchester to Paris flights are just £26 one way with Ryanair...
Original post by SophieSmall

I've actually never been to Scotland so that's something I'd love to consider to be honest! Good to hear transport wouldn't be too costly too :smile:

Very true actually. And yeah, the one thing putting me off Paris is the cost of accommodation!

Thanks so much :smile:
Original post by lulus1
Budapest is super cheap definitely worth looking at

Budapest looks lovely, so I'll definitely look into that some more! Thank you :h:
Original post by claireestelle
I d say maybe go to London, you can get cheap 1st class tickets if you book 3 months before and there's plenty to see. Whereas Paris is great for weekends but the Eurostar will be at least £70 each at best but depends on your budget really :smile: (we spent two nights there last year and could have done with an extra day really)

London would be good! Only been once and there was a lot I didn't get to see and do :redface: yeah I need to think more about what I'm willing to pay! Thank you :h:

Original post by shawn_o1

That's good! :tongue:
I've actually never been to Scotland so that's something I'd love to consider to be honest! Good to hear transport wouldn't be too costly too :smile:

Very true actually. And yeah, the one thing putting me off Paris is the cost of accommodation!

Thanks so much :smile:

Budapest looks lovely, so I'll definitely look into that some more! Thank you :h:

Budapest is cheap because it's a one way ticket. You go in and you don't come out.

Try Bruges.
Original post by shawn_o1

I was mostly talking about the eurostar as a poster above me suggested it.

The problem I've found with cheap ryanair flights (not necessarily that this is the case for Paris) is that the flight times are at really not good times for if you're only there a couple of days. Whenever I've looked the flight there is usually mid day- evening and the flight back early in the morning. So you lose a lot of holiday time. They also often don't do flights to certain places on certain days, so sometimes can't go there on a weekend. Price you pay I guess for cheap flights.
London would be good! Only been once and there was a lot I didn't get to see and do :redface: yeah I need to think more about what I'm willing to pay! Thank you :h:

London does have plenty of cheap accommodation to keep costs down if you decided on there, the travelodges near kings cross are pretty cheap :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest