The Student Room Group

Pokemon GO! Official Thread - now officially released in the UK!

Scroll to see replies

Guys, does anyone know why you get random bonuses on capture?
I find on occasion I get a random 100 exp bonus on a catch I am fairly sure it isn't from a excellent throw.
First ever female nidoran I've seen...
And I'm level 20...

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1471377237.216159.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Scienceisgood
Guys, does anyone know why you get random bonuses on capture?
I find on occasion I get a random 100 exp bonus on a catch I am fairly sure it isn't from a excellent throw.

I've seen these quite a bit, no idea why they happen tbh. Not seen any patterns in them.
:woo: I have two evees now :biggrin:

Posted from Parts Unknown
Original post by Arima
it is. but just catching and evolving is dull. battling at gyms is fun, and i agree it'd be much better once they implement trainer battles. competition for multiplayer is fine but it gets to the point where theres far too many 18+ elitists overrunning a game primarily geared towards older children. i'm fine with the idea of young adults playing pogo but at least be considerate to other players. it won't hurt.

Let's get this straight once and for all. 3 big things.

1) Niantic have it expressly written in their terms and conditions, you are required to be 13 years old or more unless accompanied by a parent or guardian whenever they are playing it.

2) This current generation of Pokemon within the Pokedex is from Pokemon Red and Blue, which were released in September 1998, anyone under 18 years old WASN'T BORN when they were released. It isn't targeted at them by any stretch of the imagination, it wasn't them who requested this be a real thing, it certainly is them who are predominantly playing it.

3) In regards to consideration for other players, do live under a rock, or some fantasy land? No one cares about anyone else they don't know, as I said before, welcome to the world of multiplayer gaming.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1345
Just found this in the wild, but its attacks suck... Don't know if STAB is in this game but ground moves on a Poliwrath? Ugh

Original post by iainvg

1) Niantic have it expressly written in their terms and conditions, you are required to be 13 years old or more unless accompanied by a parent or guardian whenever they are playing it.

2) This current generation of Pokemon within the Pokedex is from Pokemon Red and Blue, which were released in September 1998, anyone under 18 years old WASN'T BORN when they were released. It isn't targeted at them by any stretch of the imagination, it wasn't them who requested this be a real thing, it certainly is them who are predominantly playing it.

3) In regards to consideration for other players, do live under a rock, or some fantasy land? No one cares about anyone else they don't know, as I said before, welcome to the world of multiplayer gaming.

Re 3)

I care.

Taking over gyms guarded by huge CP pokemon and replacing them with my teeny diglett is not only funny it's making the gyms accessible and fun for lower level players.

It's a game. It's about having fun. You don't have to piss all over other players to have fun.
Original post by PQ
Re 3)

I care.

Taking over gyms guarded by huge CP pokemon and replacing them with my teeny diglett is not only funny it's making the gyms accessible and fun for lower level players.

It's a game. It's about having fun. You don't have to piss all over other players to have fun.

While I understand where you're coming from, I think a bit of competition is healthy. Having a consistently easy game gets REALLY dull and I specifically chose to make the game harder on myself by choosing the team with the fewest players (Instinct) in order to make the game more challenging.

Games are supposed to be hard, otherwise they really wouldn't be much fun. Only from what I've seen from my cousins, only small kids like to constantly win and when they lose, they don't like it. Not saying anything but the game NEEDS to be hard to progress and get more interesting

That kinda gave me the motivation to get better. When I had only 200CP Pokemon as my best, and saw gyms with 1500+CP Pokemon, it gave me the motivation to get better.

Posted from TSR Mobile
While I understand where you're coming from, I think a bit of competition is healthy. Having a consistently easy game gets REALLY dull and I specifically chose to make the game harder on myself by choosing the team with the fewest players (Instinct) in order to make the game more challenging.

Games are supposed to be hard, otherwise they really wouldn't be much fun. Only from what I've seen from my cousins, only small kids like to constantly win and when they lose, they don't like it. Not saying anything but the game NEEDS to be hard to progress and get more interesting

That kinda gave me the motivation to get better. When I had only 200CP Pokemon as my best, and saw gyms with 1500+CP Pokemon, it gave me the motivation to get better.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Absolutely competition isn't a problem - but there's a difference between a bit of competition and taking things too seriously to the point of justifying nastiness. The real world is nasty enough - there's no reason to make a game unnecessarily hostile.

I joined up with a couple of kids (out with their dad) from a different team yesterday to take down a gym. We had a chat and showed each other our favourite catches/evolves and talked about good places locally to catch rarer pokemon. I let them take the gym for their team because I couldn't claim any coins for 18 hours and they did most of the work. I caught 4 pokemon from the lure they'd put on the nearby pokestop. Everyone won in that situation (apart from the blue team that got chucked out of the gym but they'll be back - losing a gym is inevitable)

I reckon pokemon go is already a great game at showing you can't always win. We've all had a 10cp pidgey rub away for no good reason - it doesn't matter how high you level up you can't catch every pokemon you encounter:smile:
Fml... Hatched a 10k egg today and was expecting/hoping for something good...

Instead I get this... CP = 482

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1471422681.160973.jpg

Hoping when they release Gen 2 they do a Gyarados where you need a few hundred candies to evolve it into a Steelix and it becomes a 2600CP Pokemon...

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
I don't know how much this has been discussed but my thoughts on the issue of huge pokemon making gyms prohibitively difficult to engage with is that more could probably be done. I think that having each gym contain three different "rooms" or whatever else you might call them would allow for more people to be able to battle them. Perhaps lvl 5 - 10, 11 - 20 and 21+ or something. I personally rarely ever battle gyms because that isn't the part that interests me, but I don't think it would hurt to stagger things a bit to allow for more engagement from the start.

Anyway, I mainly play on my way to and from work on days when I can be bothered. As such, my progress has been slow. I do enjoy the game and am somewhat determined to catch them all as long as it doesn't involve travelling the world for region locked pokemon.

I am yet to:

1) Be given a 10k egg (despite being lvl 18 and having hatched a bunch of others :colonhash:)
2) Get me a Snorlax, which is really all I care about :moon:

One day I will be a pokemon master.
Original post by iainvg

"it isnt targeted at them" except it is??? so what is it was released 18 yrs ago? whats your point? that only grown ups only aka 18+ years old would find it relevant because we were the pokemon generation its our childhood wah wah

grow up. that's the most invalid point i've seen you raise so far. also, like it or not, mobile games such as these is most targeted at teens. mostly including older children, 13-18 yr olds.

thanks for numbering your points. boy that really showed me! i would partronise you further by numbering my points as well but isn't this stupid? fighting over a game. just leave it. i have my opinion, you have your opinion, and the only thing i can draw from is that this arguments just 1000% reinforces my belief of elitist 18+ ""pro pokemon trainers"" overrunning the game. who cares about letting under level 25s play when you can keep a public gym for 10 more minutes. it's all about multiplayer right. some really intense gaming going on there wew gotta show those pubescents no mercy!
Original post by ByronicHero
I don't know how much this has been discussed but my thoughts on the issue of huge pokemon making gyms prohibitively difficult to engage with is that more could probably be done. I think that having each gym contain three different "rooms" or whatever else you might call them would allow for more people to be able to battle them. Perhaps lvl 5 - 10, 11 - 20 and 21+ or something. I personally rarely ever battle gyms because that isn't the part that interests me, but I don't think it would hurt to stagger things a bit to allow for more engagement from the start.

Anyway, I mainly play on my way to and from work on days when I can be bothered. As such, my progress has been slow. I do enjoy the game and am somewhat determined to catch them all as long as it doesn't involve travelling the world for region locked pokemon.

I am yet to:

1) Be given a 10k egg (despite being lvl 18 and having hatched a bunch of others :colonhash:)
2) Get me a Snorlax, which is really all I care about :moon:

One day I will be a pokemon master.

I've still not had a 10km egg :frown: (level 21 although I've only hatched 35 eggs in total)
I saw an article linked somewhere that seemed to imply that they were more common at certain pokestops
Original post by UWS
Just found this in the wild, but its attacks suck... Don't know if STAB is in this game but ground moves on a Poliwrath? Ugh]

STAB is in the game, it provides a 1.2x attack bonus. Types advantages are also in the game (obviously) but they only give a 1.25x bonus compared to 2x in the main games.

Also, this thread got AIDS real quick. A few points:
- This game is targeted at young adults, probably between 16 and 25 as these are the people that are generally nostalgic about the original Pokemon games.
- Those with the best Pokemon deserve to keep their gyms because they've put time and effort into the game in order to get those strong Pokemon.
- That said, people who are just joining the game now or who don't play as often may feel like they are missing some of the game without the ability to battle gyms. If people want to leave weaker Pokemon in the gyms, let them. Once you've collected your coins it doesn't really matter anyway.
- HAVE FUN! This is a game ffs it doesn't warrant bickering on a forum over whose ideology is the best :tongue:.

As for 10k eggs: I've hatched about 150 eggs, only 4 of which were 10k eggs. My hatches were: Snorlax, Lapras, Mr. Mime and Scyther. Though I have seen somebody on YouTube (AliA - he does lots of Pokemon Go vlogs, they're quite good) have 5 10k eggs all running at once -_- .
Kinda curious how many pidgy candies everyone has.

Have 156 myself. =)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Have 156 myself. =)

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've got 80 atm

pokedex says I've caught 223 pidgeys in total (out of 264)
I love this game but where I live at home is literally useless because there is nothing around so I'm constantly using up all my pokeballs.
Original post by vlb206
I love this game but where I live at home is literally useless because there is nothing around so I'm constantly using up all my pokeballs.

Don't suppose you go into town regularly?
In my local town centre (20 min bus ride), there are like 20 Pokestops in a 10 minute walk radius.

So, if you ever find yourself in the town centre, stock up.
Also, would recommend a bag upgrade to hold more pokeballs.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Don't suppose you go into town regularly?
In my local town centre (20 min bus ride), there are like 20 Pokestops in a 10 minute walk radius.

So, if you ever find yourself in the town centre, stock up.
Also, would recommend a bag upgrade to hold more pokeballs.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Every time I go out that's always my mission haha, but the data/GPS is a bit crappy in town so it takes ages to load.

Have 156 myself. =)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Only 78 at the moment but having looked at my pokedex, I've caught around 120 pidgey/evolutions which would be 400-500 candies when you factoring in trading in and egg bonus etc?

Quick Reply

Latest