The Student Room Group

Economics A Level

Hi everyone
I'm thinking about choosing economics as one of my A Level as it looks interesting but I have no absolutely knowledge on the subject. Does anyone know whether this will matter at all? And if you have any other information about the course that you think I should know please tell me. Thank you x
Reply 1
I took it at A level with no prior knowledge, and I think i'm doing well.
For personal reasons, I haven't enjoyed the course, however there are some topics which do interest me.
I'd say only take it if you are certain on a degree/career humanity related.
Original post by _HS
Hi everyone
I'm thinking about choosing economics as one of my A Level as it looks interesting but I have no absolutely knowledge on the subject. Does anyone know whether this will matter at all? And if you have any other information about the course that you think I should know please tell me. Thank you x

It shouldn't really matter. What exam board will you be on by the way?
Original post by _HS
Hi everyone

Initially i didn't take economics, but 1 month later i switched subjects, knowing absolutely nothing about economics. At first it is difficult to grasp, but by the end it will becoke quite natural. And I'm now on track for an A* next year, just keep at it and you'll soon get to grips with it.
I think economics is a subject best studied outside of school. This is because you can hone in on areas of interest, and there is a great deal of resources both online and in libraries. It's not a difficult A-Level, but one thing I did not enjoy was the way in which it is marked. The mark schemes are similar to those used by sciences (at GCSE), so a lot of it is memorising keywords rather than showing understanding.

Economics is a fascinating subject area, but I've found that studying at A-Level isn't so rewarding.
Reply 5
Original post by OrionMusicNet
It shouldn't really matter. What exam board will you be on by the way?

I'm not too sure I think maybe Edexcel? I'm moving to a different school for 6th form and they didn't have the exam board on their website.
Edexcel was pretty good. The exam was hard though. How enjoyable the subject is depends on how good your teacher is. We had a good one but the other class didn't so it wasn't as engaging for them.
Original post by _HS
I'm not too sure I think maybe Edexcel? I'm moving to a different school for 6th form and they didn't have the exam board on their website.

Ah alright, fair enough.
Original post by _HS

Ah alright, fair enough.

Quick Reply

Latest