The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

Advice anyone? I have my ukcat in just about a month, and I haven't started practice yet. Is the best way by doing each section seperate or doing little snippets from every part? And also how long every day thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by I <3 WORK
Hey everyone!

Alright so basically please don't think I'm crazy but I've literally just finished reading this whole thread (yes every reply on every page :biggrin:) - and on the way I've been compiling all of the great tips and important advice you guys have posted. Of course I did try to ignore anything that was repeated, and some other posts that may have been irrelevant so I apologise if not everything was included. However to those new who couldn't be bothered to waste time hunting, I hope I have made life easy for you by attaching below the compilation. :h: (Sorry I had to split it in two documents because of the size limit) :s-smilie:

[Credit of course goes to all those who took the time out to write them in the first place. :smile: ]

On another note, could somebody due to take the UKCAT soon, please do me a favour and try out the Ctrl + F feature if it works for searching key words in VR? Getting seriously desperate lol. :wink:

I'm booked for 9th September and have no idea whether or not I'll need to reschedule, but whatever the case a good luck to all of those who need it! :redface: x

Amazing work, I'm sure it will prove useful! Ctrl+F flags the question *
Original post by kimsiclez
Amazing work, I'm sure it will prove useful! Ctrl+F flags the question *

That is Alt-F. He means Ctrl-F which in normal internet and word document, searches for a particular word, unfortunately this does not work in the exam
Are our scores on the day formed in comparison to those who take them with us on the day in the same centre? Someone told me that and it sounds bizarre. Just wondering whether it is true.
Original post by natalia.medicine
Are our scores on the day formed in comparison to those who take them with us on the day in the same centre? Someone told me that and it sounds bizarre. Just wondering whether it is true.

No. Your raw results are compared to those who did it for the first time in 2006 (think it's 2006)
Original post by Gogregg
No. Your raw results are compared to those who did it for the first time in 2006 (think it's 2006)

Pheww! Thank you :smile:
For anyone who has done the test, please don't tell me that any of the QR questions were like mock A because it's horrible. :eek::afraid:
Guys, what's the best way to improve my timing? I cannot manage to finish the verbal reasoning on time...
For anyone who has done the test, please don't tell me that any of the QR questions were like mock A because it's horrible. :eek::afraid:

i believe the QR in the actual test to be substantially easier than any mock i did. My highest QR mock score was 640 whereas i actually got 740 in the actual thing! So persevere, keep practising and you'll be fine!!
Original post by rubislaw
Thanks!

Verbal - 720
Quantitative - 890
Abstract - 750

Situational - Band 2

Thanks!

Generally mid 600s - high 600s on medify and similar on the ukcat website

Verbal wasn't too bad - similar to medify. The hardest part is that it is the first section so felt pretty nervous and couldn't focus that well. Averaged mid 600s on mocks - I found I was able to get through way more questions in the real thing, probably due to adrenaline haha. Was also surprised by my abstract score - thought it had gone badly but went way better than in my mocks!

Good luck everyone :smile:

So VR isnt impossible! my friend said it was like medify too! okay thanks, that really boosts my confidence, thanks :smile:
Original post by Wolfram Alpha
Guys, what's the best way to improve my timing? I cannot manage to finish the verbal reasoning on time...

Honestly, if you get to the point where you can't improve your timing any further, then just try your best to complete most of the questions instead to a high standard, as opposed to riding through them all and doing them poorly as a result.
I feel like the cut off for Newcastle is going to be like 800 for Newcastle judging by this thread
Original post by YounesB
TIPS please (: (for all sections) - really struggling atm.

Hi YounesB

Hoping I can offer some advice:

Section 1 (Verbal Reasoning):Read the question before the passages as it focuses your reading then work through at a steady, even pace (30 seconds per questions). Look out for “extreme” words (always, never, extremely, proven etc.) these words often give you the answer. Also remember that “true” and “false” don’t have to be exact word-for-word matches. If the meaning is the same that is enough.

Section 2: (Decision Making):Remember this section doesn’t count in your score. Practice BMAT section 1 questions,take it easy don’t over exert.

Section 3 (Quantitative Reasoning):Get familiar with the on screen calculator. Use the calculator with the keyboard for speed, make sure you practice this. Look for hard questions and skip these immediately don’t waste valuable time. If the question is hard to understand, the data you need is complex or there are many stages to the calculation then it is a hard question. If moving on, just guess an answer and flag for review in case you get extra time later. Remember there is no negative marking.
Section 4 (Abstract Reasoning):u:se a system to identify patterns. We recommend NSPCC : first look at number count everything you see: sides, shapes, angles, circles, arrows etc. Then look at patterns with size (big v small), position (corner or centre of box), colour (be careful this is often a distractor) and conformation (the relationship between different shape positions) respectively. Spend most of the time deducing the rule, then answer the questions quickly
Section 5 (SJT):Read medical student resources like Student BMJAnswer what you SHOULD do.

Hope that helps... let me know if you have any questions and good luck with your test.

UniAdmissions
Original post by UniAdmissions
Hi YounesB

Hoping I can offer some advice:

Section 1 (Verbal Reasoning):Read the question before the passages as it focuses your reading then work through at a steady, even pace (30 seconds per questions). Look out for “extreme” words (always, never, extremely, proven etc.) these words often give you the answer. Also remember that “true” and “false” don’t have to be exact word-for-word matches. If the meaning is the same that is enough.

Section 2: (Decision Making):Remember this section doesn’t count in your score. Practice BMAT section 1 questions,take it easy don’t over exert.

Section 3 (Quantitative Reasoning):Get familiar with the on screen calculator. Use the calculator with the keyboard for speed, make sure you practice this. Look for hard questions and skip these immediately don’t waste valuable time. If the question is hard to understand, the data you need is complex or there are many stages to the calculation then it is a hard question. If moving on, just guess an answer and flag for review in case you get extra time later. Remember there is no negative marking.
Section 4 (Abstract Reasoning):u:se a system to identify patterns. We recommend NSPCC : first look at number count everything you see: sides, shapes, angles, circles, arrows etc. Then look at patterns with size (big v small), position (corner or centre of box), colour (be careful this is often a distractor) and conformation (the relationship between different shape positions) respectively. Spend most of the time deducing the rule, then answer the questions quickly
Section 5 (SJT):Read medical student resources like Student BMJAnswer what you SHOULD do.

Hope that helps... let me know if you have any questions and good luck with your test.

UniAdmissions

Thanks! Very useful (:
Original post by YounesB
Thanks! Very useful (:

You're welcome!

UniAdmissions
are you allowed to take water with you in the test?
Original post by Uni12345678

Ι don't think so because I heard that we have to put all our belongings in a locker and we can't have anything with us in the exam.
Original post by Uni12345678

No. Just locker key and ID.
How do you tackle these VR questions about the aim of the passage or the conclusion of the passage? I just feel like sometimes it's hard to tell because the choices tend to be very similar.
How do you tackle these VR questions about the aim of the passage or the conclusion of the passage? I just feel like sometimes it's hard to tell because the choices tend to be very similar.

If you have medify, take note of the reasoning behind why it's one and not the others. The more you get an idea what they are looking for, the easier it will become. Hopefully ☺️

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending