The Student Room Group

Kyrgyzstan president: 'Women in mini skirts don't become suicide bombers'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-trending-36846249

I know very little about him or even his country, but I think I like this guy. Or at least, he ain't wrong in this instance. Brave thing to say when his country is 80% Muslim. Apparently the government also uses posters to discourage the trend of women wearing increasingly oppressive clothing. I can certainly see why they don't want their country to end up like this:

Also, for some other good news:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-37066304

Maybe there is hope after all.

Scroll to see replies

That is very good news indeed. Also, I'd laugh at that second photo of it weren't so terribly tragic and oppressive. They look like ridiculous stunt doubles of dementors..
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Good news indeed. Also, I'd laugh at the second photo if weren't so terribly tragic. They look like ridiculous stunt doubles of dementors..

So good you had to say it thrice?
That is very good news indeed. Also, I'd laugh at that second photo of it weren't so terribly tragic and oppressive. They look like ridiculous stunt doubles of dementors..

Good news indeed. Also, I'd laugh at the second photo if weren't so terribly tragic. They look like ridiculous stunt doubles of dementors..

We get it, you vape
The top photo was just before the Soviet-inspired overthrow of the Afghan government and before Pakistani intervention started arming the tribal groups that eventually became the Taliban. Interesting to see a glimpse of what it was like before all the blood-letting and destruction.
Reply 5
Original post by KingBradly
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-trending-36846249

I know very little about him or even his country, but I think I like this guy. Or at least, he ain't wrong in this instance. Brave thing to say when his country is 80% Muslim. Apparently the government also uses posters to discourage the trend of women wearing increasingly oppressive clothing. I can certainly see why they don't want their country to end up like this:

Also, for some other good news:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-37066304

Maybe there is hope after all.

Muslim Chad also banned the burqa as well as Cameroon (25% Muslim).
Reply 6
Muslim Chad also banned the burqa.
Good to see a leader actually having the guts to speak the truth.
Sorry Pal, didn't catch that? :tongue:*
Bad Muslims (as in not very good at sticking to the Islamist ideal, so drinking booze, going clubbing, wearing mini skirts) are the ones more likely to be suicide bombers in the west...

A "dementour" Muslim woman is probably more likely to just stay at home and help enforce the patriarchy on her own children.

Nothing wrong with fighting against the latter though.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Fullofsurprises
The top photo was just before the Soviet-inspired overthrow of the Afghan government and before Pakistani intervention started arming the tribal groups that eventually became the Taliban. Interesting to see a glimpse of what it was like before all the blood-letting and destruction.

The image is somewhat misleading, that photograph represents what I suspect was a minority of Kabulis, certainly not common a sight around the country. Of course it's a stark contrast, but the transformation from pre-Taliban Afghanistan to Post Taliban Afghanistan is not as drastic as the comparison makes it out to be.
I don't like Islam by any stretch of the imagination, especially regarding its treatment of women.

However, there are some Muslim majority countries out there where you'd be surprised at how tolerant and progressive they are given their demographics.

Here's some examples of the secular countries with a Muslim majority:

- Azerbaijan.
- Kyrgyzstan.
- Uzbekistan.
- Kazakhstan.
- Turkmenistan.
- Turkey.
- Tunisia.
- Kosovo.
- Bosnia and Herzegovina.
- Albania.
- United Arab Emirates.
- Bangladesh.

Other countries which aren't secular, but recognise religious freedom and don't call themselves an Islamic State:

- Malaysia.
- Indonesia.
- Lebanon.

Countries which are Islamic States, but are beginning to become more progressive:

- Iran.
- Algeria.
- Morocco.
- Algeria.
- Egypt.
- Pakistan.

This leaves:

- Saudi Arabia.
- Yemen.
- Oman.
- Sudan.
- Somalia.
(and other countries on the African continent)
Original post by teenhorrorstory
So good you had to say it thrice?

Original post by The Clockwork Apple
We get it, you vape

TSR has been writing out stuff I say more than once and I had to manually delete it. Not sure what's going on tbh :erm:
Original post by Mathemagicien
TSR is acting up today

Really?
Original post by jake4198
I don't like Islam by any stretch of the imagination, especially regarding its treatment of women.

However, there are some Muslim majority countries out there where you'd be surprised at how tolerant and progressive they are given their demographics.

- Azerbaijan.
- Kyrgyzstan.
- Uzbekistan.
- Kazakhstan.
- Turkmenistan.
- Turkey. <-- Not for long
- Tunisia.
- Kosovo.
- Albania.
- United Arab Emirates. <-- Well, go and look at the laws
- Bangladesh.

Other countries which aren't secular, but recognise religious freedom and don't call themselves an Islamic State:

- Malaysia.
- Indonesia.
- Lebanon.

Countries which are Islamic States, but are beginning to become more progressive:

- Iran.
- Algeria.
- Morocco.
- Algeria.
- Egypt.
- Pakistan.

This leaves:

- Saudi Arabia.
- Yemen.
- Oman. <-- Apparently this country isn't too bad
- Sudan.
- Somalia.
- Qatar

Decent list but a few inaccuracies.
Original post by Josb
Muslim Chad also banned the burqa.

This Chad fella seems like a good sensible bloke
Original post by Betelgeuse-
This Chad fella seems like a good sensible bloke

Its a country.
Reply 18
Original post by jake4198

- Azerbaijan.
- Kyrgyzstan.
- Uzbekistan.
- Kazakhstan.
- Turkmenistan.
- Turkey.
- Tunisia.
- Kosovo.
- Albania.
- United Arab Emirates.
- Bangladesh.

- Malaysia.
- Indonesia.
- Lebanon.

- Iran.
- Algeria.
- Morocco.
- Algeria.
- Egypt.
- Pakistan.

This leaves:

- Saudi Arabia.
- Yemen.
- Oman.
- Sudan.
- Somalia.

turkey??
Bangladesh is unsafe for non muslims
Original post by Kadak
Its a country.

Quick Reply

Latest