The Student Room Group

Universities in South - Politics/ International Relations

I'm interested in studying Politics and/or International Relations in the South / West of England. So far my top preferences would be Exeter and Sussex but, the entry requirements are quite high. Does anyone have any recommendations for Universities with lower requirements? Thanks :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by boringvoice
I'm interested in studying Politics and/or International Relations in the South of England. So far my top preferences would be Exeter and Sussex but, the entry requirements are quite high. Does anyone have any recommendations for Universities with lower requirements? Thanks :smile:

Essex is supposed to be good for Politics, I went to UEA and enjoyed it (ok technically East but depending where you live its not to far from the South) maybe Kent worth a look at too.
Reply 2
Original post by jelly1000

Essex is supposed to be good for Politics, I went to UEA and enjoyed it (ok technically East but depending where you live its not to far from the South) maybe Kent worth a look at too.

Thanks for the help :smile:. I'd say all of these Universities are slightly far North East/East for me. Although I have researched Kent a little bit, and it does seem to be doing quite well in the rankings despite having relatively low entry grades. I have heard mixed reviews though.
Thanks for the help :smile:. I'd say all of these Universities are slightly far North East/East for me. Although I have researched Kent a little bit, and it does seem to be doing quite well in the rankings despite having relatively low entry grades. I have heard mixed reviews though.

Well further South than Essex you have the London Unis which offer Politics and/or IR:
-LSE, great for IR, but high entry requirements
-UCL offers Politics and Eastern European Studies, again high entry requirements
-Queen Mary - want ABB- might be worth a look at, although not known for Politics/IR
-Kings, really well known for War Studies, but want AAA
-Brunel- again not known for Politics, its a bit mediocre
And tbh the other London unis aren't really worth considering at all unless you have no other choice.

Then
-Southampton- they want ABB-BBB so although not known for Politics/IR might be worth a look at
-Portsmouth, another uni you'll probably find mixed reviews on, I went to look when I was applying and it was alright, not terrible, not special.
-Brighton- no idea what its like really

So you can see unless you can expect to achieve AAA/AAB your options are limited in very South.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by jelly1000
Well further South than Essex you have the London Unis which offer Politics and/or IR:
-LSE, great for IR, but high entry requirements
-UCL offers Politics and Eastern European Studies, again high entry requirements
-Queen Mary - want ABB- might be worth a look at, although not known for Politics/IR
-Kings, really well known for War Studies, but want AAA
-Brunel- again not known for Politics, its a bit mediocre
And tbh the other London unis aren't really worth considering at all unless you have no other choice.

Then
-Southampton- they want ABB-BBB so although not known for Politics/IR might be worth a look at
-Portsmouth, another uni you'll probably find mixed reviews on, I went to look when I was applying and it was alright, not terrible, not special.
-Brighton- no idea what its like really

So you can see unless you can expect to achieve AAA/AAB your options are limited in very South.

Thanks again, I'd say that I would avoid London because of living costs. In relation to may location, universities in the west would be closer than the South East. I'm not planning on commuting but, I don't intend on travelling too far because then, I would have to take very long expensive train journeys. The reason I was asking was really because I was interested in Universities that have lower grade boundaries as back up options, as many of the Universities I know of have very high expectations.

I'm getting my AS results tommorow, so that's why I'm preparing for the worst quite early haha :P
Thanks again, I'd say that I would avoid London because of living costs. In relation to may location, universities in the west would be closer than the South East. I'm not planning on commuting but, I don't intend on travelling too far because then, I would have to take very long expensive train journeys. The reason I was asking was really because I was interested in Universities that have lower grade boundaries as back up options, as many of the Universities I know of have very high expectations.

I'm getting my AS results tommorow, so that's why I'm preparing for the worst quite early haha :P

I see, train costs can be lowered quite lot with a railcard and by booking in advance. In the West of the unis asking for less than AAB you have UWE, Cardiff Met (no idea what its like), Gloucestershire (not great). Thats all I can think of right now.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending